Play Nice - AFL Womens - General Discussion | Page 20 | BigFooty

Play Nice AFL Womens - General Discussion

Discussion in 'Women's Footy & AFLW' started by The_Wookie, Feb 25, 2017.

1. Bostonian

Bostonian Norm Smith Medallist

Carlton
    When you have players getting paid decent money despite having played less than 20 games or only just taking up the sport I think it's a bit rich to be having a whinge already and demanding things.

It will all start sorting itself out when we get a better idea of what the standard of product can be long term v now.

As it is that's all still unknown and you don't want to kill the brand so early on by creating situations where the visuals of the game appear to go backwards.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

2. Carn The Berries

Carn The Berries Senior List

Melbourne
    I haven't heard anyone demanding anything that they weren't getting last year... They just (quite rightly IMO) don't want the number of H&A games reduced because it works better for a broadcaster.

Limiting games to protect the "visuals" of the game is completely contradicted by adding 2 extra teams and diluting the talent pool....

3. jatz14

jatz14 Premiership Player

West Coast
    Other Teams:
    Perth Glory W-League
    Having 3 more rounds doesnt affect the visuals. Even Daisy Pearce has said, with the limited game time and training time they get, the first few games a club plays tend to be poorer, and the standard improves as the season goes on. If the standard is poor, thats a reason for more, not less, ironically, especially if the extra scrappy first game or 2 are not broadcast. Both seasons, the first game of the year has been about the worst, and this is the game with the most hype.

hcd199 likes this.
  4. hcd199

hcd199 Club Legend

North Melbourne
    Other Teams:
    Waterford GAA, Glenorchy, Hob (BBL)
    If coverage (especially on FTA) were so integral, surely they'd just continue providing the rights free of charge/at a reduced rate/to another broadcaster? It makes no sense to charge for the rights, and then cave in to broadcaster demands at the expense of competitive integrity, if exposure is the primary goal of establishing a national competition at this stage.

Chasing "clean air" in the sporting calendar is a fools' errand, IMO; as has been mentioned, pre-season AFL games start within a couple of weeks of the AFLW, and the BBL is encroaching onto those first few weeks now too (GF is on 17th February this year, so ~R3/R4 even in a 6-week AFLW "season" with two weeks' finals). Besides, even if it's accepted that the promotional opportunities are best only in that two-month window, why not run the competition properly but with reduced coverage in busier weeks? That could even be part of the TV rights deal (free rights to the January rounds if you're paying to cover it properly come February), and the fixturing (put Carl v Coll and the GF re-match in the first "clean" week of the season) - and if not, live-streaming akin to what the WBBL does helps keep existing fans on-side before the "growth" rounds get given wider exposure in the "cleaner" weeks.

The bottom line is, if the AFL has so little confidence in the AFLW that they think it can't compete with literally any other sport, then they should shut the whole venture down now, and revert to exhibition games only. Given they've underestimated its potential popularity before, there's a good chance that they're doing so again here; if nothing else, this being the only season with 10 teams, surely a slightly longer season is worth a shot now?

boffo, TWLS and jatz14 like this.
  5. A_F_L_Media

A_F_L_Media Don't Cross Me

Melbourne
    Do I give a crap about AFLW? No, of course not. It was cool for a fortnight but is now a ratings desert.
    But will I jump on board an AFLW issue if there are browser clicks and social media likes in it for me? Umm F#@% YES.
    The fixture is a massive slap in the face not just to women, but also to men considering becoming women. Shame on you AFL for slapping women in the face. Neanderthals!

6. Kwality

Kwality Brownlow Medallist

West Coast
    https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/womens-afl/comment-why-afl-is-in-danger-of-letting-golden-egg-slip-in-just-two-seasons/news-story/4da35031a33082caf3075f8f4aa5b89b
    The next step for the AFL is a rapid-fire expansion, with the competition jumping from eight to 14 teams over the space of two years.

Unfortunately, its ambition to take over the female sporting landscape appears to be at odds with its willingness to back in its own product.

Not much doubt the AFL are looking to dominate the female sporting landscape IMHO, just don't seem to have a plan to reach the top & stay there.
    I'd suggest their preference is to duplicate the AFL comp (all teams) but know there isn't the talent pool (same as the blokes) - I can see the WBBL dominating the female games this summer.

7. Cold Sober

Cold Sober Club Legend

Essendon
    Other Teams:
    Man U .White Sox;Storm,Victory
    If a network puts a new show on and it's not up to it, they axe it. If it's not up to scratch, gonski, majority wins.

Snake_Baker and Xtreme like this.
  8. Farm Boy

Farm Boy Premiership Player

St Kilda
    The majority of us want you banned from big footy - because you are not up to it and should be axed. Yet you are still here. The majority does not always win.

9. Cold Sober

Cold Sober Club Legend

Essendon
    Other Teams:
    My old mate Cow breath, how are the teats hanging, bit of a drought up our way too, or should that be ME TOO.

10. Snake_Baker

Snake_Baker Brownlow Medallist

North Melbourne
    Other Teams:
    Parochial United
    I reckon it's starting to dawn on the AFL that they made a big mistake by entering gender politics.

Ron The Bear, deltablues and Xtreme like this.
  11. Teen Wolf

Teen Wolf Club Legend

North Melbourne
    Other Teams:
    Rancho Carne Toros
    Took them 120 years, but better late than never!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

12. jatz14

jatz14 Premiership Player

West Coast
    Other Teams:
    Perth Glory W-League
    The number NOT watching a new show is ALWAYS the majority. The AFL grand final is not watched by the majority, so this means you think it should be gone? Or are you happy for the minority to have a win here.

You set a simple test, and there will be a simple answer. It's canned, or it's not.

Sent from my XT1068 using Tapatalk

13. Snake_Baker

North Melbourne
    Other Teams:
    Parochial United
    No one was stopping women playing football beforehand.

It's just that no one would walk across the road to watch it until it was clamped on to the men's clubs.

deltablues and Xtreme like this.
  14. BringBackTorps

BringBackTorps Club Legend

GWS
    The general AFLW skill levels are OK, general fitness is good -& both continue to improve. Experts are predicting the new players recruited from elite U18 female comps. into the 2019 AFLW will be the best crop of teenage players ever seen in Aust. The experienced AFLW players will benefit from the additional training/coaching they are receiving each year. Don't compare women's sport to men's.
    You continuously make disparaging remarks about the AFLW -if you don't like it, thats fine: Don't watch!

Crowds, averaging c.6500 per game, are probably second highest in the world for a female, stand-alone H & A non-international comp.

Except for the first 2 games at Princes Park in 2018, & games affected by rain or strong heat, the games have generally been entertaining with adequate scoring (women can't kick as far as men, games go for about 60% of an AFL game). Due to the good spectacle, fans keep returning to watch the AFLW, & get their summer footy fix.
    Ratings are better than the men's A League, & are good for a comp. which is only 2 years old (& games often start in the afternoon, which is not Prime time for Ratings)

The AFLW will only get bigger each year. The introduction of Richmond, Essendon, WC, Hawthorn etc. will further turbocharge it.
    GR female AF numbers will boom again in 2018 -competiition participants possibly rise by about 30%

You have previously on BF:-

. said female AF is a "fad", & is likely to be a short term phenomenon.
    . complained about female AF growing, taking females from other sports -including your own preferred female Gaelic football in Australia.
    . made false claims about what AFLW players are seeking/"demanding" re remuneration.
    . said the AFLW should not have started in 2017 -just keep developing State Leagues
    . made vile, unsubstantiated hearsay claims about the alleged behaviour of some females towards Club team mates (which, in the unlikely event they were true, would destroy club culture & harmony)
    . said, absurdly, AF does not need physical courage to play
    . implied Gaelic Hurling needs more courage to play than AF

You are trolling the AFLW.

You clearly demonstrate that your preferred Gaelic sport (s) in Australia feel threatened by it. This fear is warranted, given how fast & strongly female AF is growing. I suggest you get used to it- & more Irish Gaelic stars will want to play in the AFLW, like Staunton. It will probably become the biggest female sport in Australia, on most metrics -&, after being discriminated against since 1919, has only been significantly promoted/ funded for about 3 years. McLachlan said last week "There is nothing more important to us than the AFLW".

And fortunate AF fans, in increasing nos., can get a keenly anticipated summer footy fix by watching very courageous women play our great Australian game on balmy summer evenings ...often played at ol' footy grounds, which adds to the enjoyment for many.

EDIT:

Robinson's misguided H/Sun article below stated female GR AF participants have risen to 500,000 "this year" (in 2017, Registered participants were c.450,000. The "fad" juggernaut ain't stopping!)

Last edited: Aug 15, 2018 at 6:48 PM
    wally funk likes this.
  15. Snake_Baker

North Melbourne
    Other Teams:
    Parochial United
    Purely based on the back of the fact that women's football was picked up by AFL clubs.

There wouldn't be 65 at the games if they didn't attract fans due to AFL club branding.

Xtreme and deltablues like this.
  16. Teen Wolf

Teen Wolf Club Legend

North Melbourne
    Other Teams:
    Rancho Carne Toros
    Yeah the AFL clubs getting involved with women's football is a good thing, I agree.

17. Cold Sober

Cold Sober Club Legend

Essendon
    Other Teams:
    your'e a woman, I'm a man, my opinion doesn't count, you win. Mate the majority doesnt win any argument in my country anymore. Can't believe I used the word majority.

Xtreme likes this.
  18. The_Wookie

The_Wookie Queenslander

Carlton

wally funk and Starburns_ like this.
  19. Farm Boy

Farm Boy Premiership Player

St Kilda
    That is a good article. I liked the bit about the product being substandard - it is. The quality of skill is low. There are too many teams and there is not enough talent. It is a rushed product. These are all pretty obvious talking points. Is the ground too big considering the poor standard? If the women had control of their own game they would have been in a position to make swift changes, and tinker with the game until it reached a suitable outcome. Perhaps even move away from Aussie Rules and towards a safer version of Gaelic/netball/football. It is an opportunity missed IMO, because as we look at the game of Aussie Rules, it is becoming more and more evident that it is a flawed game, and it will need to be changed. The AFL is going to be slow to make those changes. The women's game will now be even slower to see changes because they are not a priority for the AFL. Had the women of ran their own game they would have been ahead of the curb.

20. Tandy

Tandy All Australian

Geelong
    Put 2 games on FTA Saturday day and Arvo and 1 on Sunday lunchtime. That way it can run into the AFL season and we all get extra football should be choose to watch it and they don't get in the way of the main competition.

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

21. Ron The Bear

Ron The Bear Brownlow Medallist

Richmond
    Aaaarrrgh! The truth!!!! :eek:

22. drunkill

drunkill Team Captain

Carlton
    wally funk and BringBackTorps like this.
  23. The_Wookie

The_Wookie Queenslander

Carlton
    Remembering that the league planned for 2020 introduction initially, its likely that the league itself considers these first few years to be very formative rather than substantive. More of a marketing exercise aimed at participation and involvement and the prospect of a better future than anything else at this time.

Come 2020 with all teams in, and all development pathways established, and talent rolling in, AFLW will truly begin. Problem is the league never really communicated this to anyone - if thats the case.

wally funk likes this.
  24. Snake_Baker

North Melbourne
    Other Teams:
    Parochial United
    Completely irrelevant to my point & I agree that females shouldn't be playing a contact sport against males.

25. Teen Wolf

Teen Wolf Club Legend

North Melbourne
    Other Teams:
    Rancho Carne Toros
    Maybe I woke up on the wrong side of the bed this morning, but I disagree with everything you wrote there.

A good article wouldn't be littered with quotes from anonymous insiders, friends and pals like the latest Brangelina hatchet job.

Besides that, the idea the AFL aren't happy with the talent pool directly contradicts their decision to grant six new licenses after the inaugural eight-team season. A two-month AFLW season is being considered for different reasons altogether.