AFL X

Remove this Banner Ad

I have no doubt last year there would've been threads about the fact there was a week of no AFL footy before finals. Then the AFL do something about it and everyone complains. Granted it's a silly concept but still. May as well go full silly and copy rugby 7's format, 4 groups of 4 (2 teams to miss), 7 minute halves, top 8 play finals.

It seriously is starting to piss me off how negative footy fans are about every ******* thing to do with our game, or anything that breaks tradition. Why are people throwing the baby out with the bath water before we've even see what this is like? Quit being so ******* negative for once in your life and at least give this a chance. This could be an excellent little development in our game

id rather it be restricted to rookie only players or anyone under 23 years old, would give them more exposure and help develop their leadership skills even quicker. Even having a team dedicated to tac draft prospects who could also get a taste prior to being drafted in November.

It's "announced" the day after the salary cap / CBA is signed off?
I take it that it's been written into the new agreement then.

id rather it be restricted to rookie only players or anyone under 23 years old, would give them more exposure and help develop their leadership skills even quicker. Even having a team dedicated to tac draft prospects who could also get a taste prior to being drafted in November.
I agree.

Or even play the U18 kids against each other, in addition to the AFL U18 Champs that are currently on.

Give fans another chance to see potential draftees/father son/academy selections prior to draft day

It seriously is starting to piss me off how negative footy fans are about every ******* thing to do with our game, or anything that breaks tradition. Why are people throwing the baby out with the bath water before we've even see what this is like? Quit being so ******* negative for once in your life and at least give this a chance. This could be an excellent little development in our game

I feel ypu but not in this instance. Not everything is worthy of being given a chance.

It's a simplified version of the game so that the AFL can package it up and use it for international expansion and broadcasting. Overseas participation is fundamentally easier on a smaller ground with less players, and for TV viewers, with less moving parts (though the fundamental skills of the game are identical), the game will be easier to understand for first-time watchers overseas. AFL might not be popular now, but who knows how globalised our world will be in 20, 30, 50 years, and the AFL is getting in early to ensure we're not a generation behind whilst virtually every other sport in the world is pushing into global markets. We're not the NFL - we don't have the benefit of being the strongest economy in the world. We have to push our product, whether or not that product what we've all grown up with, onto the world if we want it to stick with a future global society.

People have to think bigger picture here. Expansion isn't limited to just NSW and Queensland.
Who the * cares about overseas ambitions.

We are never competing with established sports overseas.

Move on.

This is not aimed at us. This is where the game goes to find talent where there are no cricket/footy sized grounds.
They already have the combine (crap name) in America every year, looking for players usually two metre plus with agility.
Not every country has a cricket ground sized space just waiting for 8 posts to go up.
I've played in Singapore and Japan on modified (by necessity) sized grounds, its harder for the visitors than the locals.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Comparing grabbing a few blokes who play a game with some similar things to cracking into a market already flooded with sports overseas.

Like chalk and cheese.
Gaelic is played on a rectangular ground and has plenty of similarities, but has plenty of differences.

I think what Jim Stynes achieved is a bit more than "grabbing a few blokes".

This is aimed at the market the AFL is in most fear of losing or not capturing to its fullest.
And that is the modern day imbecile that lacks the intelligence and or attention span to do anything for more than 5 minutes (much less watching a game of football for 2.5 hours!).
They would get impatient wiping their arse 3 times in a row. Those sorts of plebs are not worth worrying about. But the AFL worry about anyone, man woman or beast that dosen't happen to have their lives revolve around watching 6 or more games of footy every weekend.

s**t concept. Embarassing.

Hopefully it's like the XFL.

Over-the-top commentary. Player nicknames on the back of the jerseys. And comedy skits inside the female cheerleaders' locker rooms at half time.

Instead of a coin toss players just sprint to midfield to get the ball and cain eachother to see who starts with the it. Seemed to be the best part of the sport!

Dont get me wrong, I love footy.

But.

Is our game the most laughable code in the world when it comes to administration decisions?
You would not find a sporting administration that is as dominated by the media and focused on generating an outcome based purely on image/brand. As corrupt as FIFA is, they would not stoop to the levels the afl has sunk in terms of rule changes, creating franchises we don't need, media domination of the game, mrp decisions, its involvement in scandals like the Essendon one to engineer an outcome and other amateur level crap.

I would like to know if they use focus groups for this crap, and if so, who are these morons?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back