AFLW 2018 - go you Crow girls!

How excited are you to to follow the AFLW in 2018?

• Maximal anticipation, Can't bloody wait - back-to-back, yeah baby!

Votes: 19 18.1%
  • Excited and eager to see the girls defend their title!

Votes: 35 33.3%
  • Excited enough to see some footy action

Votes: 12 11.4%
  • Neutral - likely will watch some games, not bothered if I have other things to do on the day

Votes: 24 22.9%
  • Negative Nellie - just can't get any excitement, even if watching girls kicking some balls

Votes: 11 10.5%
  • Strongly opposed to AFLW - bring back State of Origin instead..or AFLX..I only want to see men!

Votes: 4 3.8%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Any of you on here follow what the girls are doing ATM?
Do they play local footy or do they wait 9mnths for aflw to start?

After the AFLW season they have a break where they can't play any football, can't recall for how long, but at least a few weeks. After that break has ended, they head off and play for whatever state league sides they have signed with, alongside any club or league jobs they have through AFLW.

So our favourite “journalist” has made this claim on our favourite “broadcaster’s” show tonight

Made it sound highly unlikely that Goddard will still be coach, possibly with confirmation of the decision soon.

If that’s the case will be interesting to see who’s decision it was.

So our favourite “journalist” has made this claim on our favourite “broadcaster’s” show tonight

Made it sound highly unlikely that Goddard will still be coach, possibly with confirmation of the decision soon.

If that’s the case will be interesting to see who’s decision it was.
Hopefully replaced by someone that can construct some semblance of a game plan and game day strategies.

Hopefully replaced by someone that can construct some semblance of a game plan and game day strategies.

True, but presser’s will certainly become dull and players personal motivation will take a hit. Her personality and it being able to gain mainstream media attention when AFLW has struggled in that field and her future vision of how women’s footy should function on & off field shouldn’t be under valued. With the competition needing salespeople she certainly played a Sheedy-esque role that had a positive result in season one.

Will also be interesting to see if the uncertainty around Goddard has any effect on Phillips or any other players commitment to stay.

To be fair, Erin's injury for the most part of this year made it glaringly obvious our midfield depth was poor. It's hard to coach well with an average midfield in any team of any team sport.
On the flip side, if Erin was 100% fit, we'd most likely would have made the GF again this year, and playing against the Dogs, we'd have a damn good chance of winning the GF again. If that was to happen, we'd all be giving unlimited praises of Goddard for winning us back-to-back!

The reality is though, that Goddard's coaching tactics need to have some added dimensions for her to remain relevant. We also need to find some new elite midfielders in case Erin is either no longer playing for us, or plays for us, with still the one leg!

Krissie Steen from South Adelaide and Adelaide Uni perhaps?

She’d be very good choice, ticks all the right boxes, I wanted her in as an assistant even if Goddard was around, just as long as the club doesn’t go the Victorian route and select some guy who just wants the role to get his foot into AFL clubland

She’d be very good choice, ticks all the right boxes, I wanted her in as an assistant even if Goddard was around, just as long as the club doesn’t go the Victorian route and select some guy who just wants the role to get his foot into AFL clubland
Narelle Smith?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Good-sad news. She was clearly a great motivator for us in the first season and deserve great thanks and credit.

But I think we need someone as we go forward who can move with the increasing professionalism of the game.

Erin captain/coach?

So far there are only two people who can claim to have coached the Crows to a premiership. Thanks for being one of them Bec :thumbsu: You were absolutely brilliant in our debut season and deserve your place in Crows folklore!

Good to have it announced at this stage so we have plenty of time to find the right replacement. Hope we knock it out of the park!

Mmmm......was there conflict between Goddard & Phillips that fuelled the Phillips leaving Adelaide stories ? ......could Phillips be the new Adelaide "playing" Coach ?

ADELAIDE superstar Erin Phillips has not yet decided whether she will play in the NAB AFL Women's competition next year, but if she does, wants to stick with the Crows.

There has been talk in the past few weeks about the 2017 League Best and Fairest's future at Adelaide, but Phillips has shot them down.

"I would love to play. There's a lot of different aspects in my life [and] different things can happen," Phillips told afl.com.au.

"I'm going back to America, to Dallas, where my wife (Tracy) and I live and I'm an assistant coach with the Dallas Wings (WNBA team). There's just a lot of things that can happen between now and next season.

"I'd love to play. In terms of who I'm going to play for, I don't know why rumours are starting that I'm leaving Adelaide. I'm very happy there."

Phillips is spending this week working with the NAB AFL Women's Academy, an under-18 squad made up of the best youth girls in the country.

Based in Geelong, it's the second week-long camp for this intake of the Academy, which also spent time together during an intense training camp in Darwin in December.

Phillips is a high-performance coach and mentor, a role she is well suited to considering her 15-year basketball career, including 11 years playing in the WNBA in the United States

Mmmm......was there conflict between Goddard & Phillips that fuelled the Phillips leaving Adelaide stories ? ......could Phillips be the new Adelaide "playing" Coach ?

At least a couple of the senior players gave the club an ultimatum earlier in the year that it was them or her before 2019.

Not all is well in regards to our senior coaching team for AFLW. Highly successful last year, but there are serious personality issues that will eventually cause problems.

Let's just say Goddard isn't as beloved amongst the playing group as you might think from the outside.

I agree, would love our blokes to hate Pyke but hold up the premiership cup.
Only problem is that some of the players, even the South Australian ones, are very keen to play in Melbourne instead.

At least a couple of the senior players gave the club an ultimatum earlier in the year that it was them or her before 2019.
Tail wagging the dog ??

Personally it's not a bad thing for us. If this game is to grow we need some better structures and instruction.

Thanks Bec, all the best

Back