AFLW 2018 - go you Crow girls!

How excited are you to to follow the AFLW in 2018?

• Maximal anticipation, Can't bloody wait - back-to-back, yeah baby!

Votes: 19 18.1%
  • Excited and eager to see the girls defend their title!

Votes: 35 33.3%
  • Excited enough to see some footy action

Votes: 12 11.4%
  • Neutral - likely will watch some games, not bothered if I have other things to do on the day

Votes: 24 22.9%
  • Negative Nellie - just can't get any excitement, even if watching girls kicking some balls

Votes: 11 10.5%
  • Strongly opposed to AFLW - bring back State of Origin instead..or AFLX..I only want to see men!

Votes: 4 3.8%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

So I take it the stories are based entirely on someone saying "I know the girls and many are not happy" as opposed to anything more concrete?

Not saying it's definitely true or false, just trying to work out the state of play.

You might start with Phillips saying she couldn’t commit to us
Next day Goddard goes
Following day Phillips signs on and says she wants to play for us for next 3-5 years

Bec Goddard is fairly active on social media and from what I saw she posted basically nothing about leaving the Crows. Not even a “thanks for the memories” type post. That says a fair bit.
And yet her profile pic and banner are still of the Crows AFLW premiership. Reckon if she was pissed off at the Crows they would have been the first to go.

Bec Goddard is fairly active on social media and from what I saw she posted basically nothing about leaving the Crows. Not even a “thanks for the memories” type post. That says a fair bit.
Maybe what it says most is about Bec Goddard?

Sent from my XT1068 using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I haven't listened to this. But I really like Bec, and would be very disappointed if for some reason it's the Crows that have stuffed up.

“I don’t believe it was amicable,” Caro told FIVEaa.
“I don’t think it ended well and I don’t think Bec’s happy. I think it’s a pity that someone who was such a heroine just over a year ago is now back coaching the forward line of the Canberra sharks.
“I just think it’s really disappointing.”

https://www.fiveaa.com.au/shows/row...o-Bec-Goddard-s-Crows-Exit-Than-First-Thought

I haven't listened to this. But I really like Bec, and would be very disappointed if for some reason it's the Crows that have stuffed up.

https://www.fiveaa.com.au/shows/row...o-Bec-Goddard-s-Crows-Exit-Than-First-Thought

The story I read was she wanted to stay but in an increased capacity, due to the money & seniority built up at the AFP.

The club couldn't/wouldn't offer her the money she wanted, due to the cap on Football Dept spend. So she followed her career back to Canberra (with her contract for her Adelaide role here ending).

She would probably be disappointed they didn't give her a job promotion, but it's not like they ran her out of town.

(this went into more detail - http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport...r/news-story/2a3860b297774762a6abf50b6cf26b6f)

The story I read was she wanted to stay but in an increased capacity, due to the money & seniority built up at the AFP.

The club couldn't/wouldn't offer her the money she wanted, due to the cap on Football Dept spend. So she followed her career back to Canberra (with her contract for her Adelaide role here ending).

She would probably be disappointed they didn't give her a job promotion, but it's not like they ran her out of town.

(this went into more detail - http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport...r/news-story/2a3860b297774762a6abf50b6cf26b6f)
This seems like the most plausible out of all the probable stories.

I guess if she's wanting to continue with the Crows, and the club doesn't feel she's the best person for next year, then there will be inevitable disappointments. I just hope the next coach makes the girls do more handball training!

I have no idea about any inner sanctum workings/relationships

This is all my own musings

Would her Federal Police background make her a hard taskmaster that the players didn't respond to that well (once the hype and excitement of the first season dissipated)?

Possible suitors include 340-game champion Andrew McLeod, his two-time premiership winning teammate Peter Caven and Brooke Copeland, who all joined Goddard’s coaching panel last season. Senior assistant Andrew Hodges and Tim Weatherald, who played 311 SANFL games with Sturt and Norwood and won the 2002 Magarey Medal, are also in the mix.

Weatherald spent last week at Adelaide in talks with Phil Harper about coaching up to 10 of the Crows in the NT Thunder’s inaugural VFL women’s team, which opens its season on May 5.

“I’d be open to it (the Adelaide coaching job) but I haven’t had any talks with anyone about it,” Weatherald said.

https://amp.theguardian.com/sport/2018/apr/25/aflw-is-at-risk-of-being-run-by-men-for-men-where-are-the-female-coaches?

A very good article, a problem not alone to just AFLW but also women sport in general but certainly something I’ve been concerned about with AFLW especially now after Goddard’s and Cowan’s departures
Good read. Though it's hard to draw the line between sexism in allocating coaches and wanting to increase the clubs' professionalism.

If you're talking about strategies, experience and understanding of the game, then it will be hard to find ones without having experienced playing/coaching in the AFL level. So not all that surprising to see AFLW clubs seeking male coaches than female ones.

https://amp.theguardian.com/sport/2018/apr/25/aflw-is-at-risk-of-being-run-by-men-for-men-where-are-the-female-coaches?

A very good article, a problem not alone to just AFLW but also women sport in general but certainly something I’ve been concerned about with AFLW especially now after Goddard’s and Cowan’s departures

A truely professional and elite league will employ the best candidate for the money on offer. It's commonsense that most people with experience working with elite coaches will be male. It would be a problem if clubs were ignoring males to appoint token females. In a few years it will be different, but for now, the best coaches will largely be blokes out of the AFL system.

Maybe they may need an Australian equivalent to the 'Rooney Rule' in the NFL where it would be mandatory to interview female coaches.
Even if they interviewed female coaches, can you see the AFLW clubs issue in deciding whether to pick from:
1. Coach with AFL level experience (likely to be a male)
2. Coach with female clubs at district level

Even if they interviewed female coaches, can you see the AFLW clubs issue in deciding whether to pick from:
1. Coach with AFL level experience (likely to be a male)
2. Coach with female clubs at district level

More female coaches will come when their experience in being involved for years in the elite league will be more valued than males from the AFL. It won't take long.

Back