AFLW Draft and Compensation

Remove this Banner Ad

Enjoy watching the north powerhouse go undefeated

Fact is we outsmarted all, put in the work with MUFC years ahead of aflw

So much so the afl have out of nowhere handicapped us before a ball has been bounced in training or games

Be thankful we didn't take ellie Blackburn also who plays with MUFC

Jesus. You understand you are a mendicant club that exists today purely because it is a heavily competitively balanced and financially re-distributive league? But you got some chips go your way in your first year of a start up women's league and your gloating about going undefeated in between whining about apparently copping a raw deal

You are coming across like a massive bell end.

Classic rat-with-gold-tooth behaviour

Jesus. You understand you are a mendicant club that exists today purely because it is a heavily competitively balanced and financially re-distributive league? But you got some chips go your way in your first year of a start up women's league and your gloating about going undefeated in between whining about apparently copping a raw deal

You are coming across like a massive bell end.
cry me a river

i wont go back and forth anymore other than maybe if other clubs put in the work we did pre aflw they would be better prepared in keeping and attracting players

put in the work reap the rewards

but now apparently get handicapped before the bounce of a ball

anyway a testament to the club and the work done
looking forward to the year and hope this fuels the team to win it all
cant handicap nmfc

cry me a river

i wont go back and forth anymore other than maybe if other clubs put in the work we did pre aflw they would be better prepared in keeping and attracting players

put in the work reap the rewards

but now apparently get handicapped before the bounce of a ball

How bout you are stripped back to equal AFL distributions with the other vic clubs and have the football department cap removed and your little club can go the way of Fitzroy?

While it's as good as nothing you get an extra rookie, which if the 2018 rules remain you won't be able to play unless there's an injury. An extra senior list spot would have meant something, even a compo pick may have helped if BL could entice a Vic north.
AFLW rookie rules do not require a long term injury though, any injury keeping a player out a game lets you play a rookie. In that sense, a rookie spot is almost worth a senior spot. Dogs made good use of theirs. If they get a rookie that turned out to be good, I have no doubt they will get her on the main list. Someone in a bit of poor form takes a bit of a knock, then they get dropped for 'injury', bingo, rookie upgrade.

Enjoy watching the north powerhouse go undefeated

Fact is we outsmarted all, put in the work with MUFC years ahead of aflw

So much so the afl have out of nowhere handicapped us before a ball has been bounced in training or games

Be thankful we didn't take ellie Blackburn also who plays with MUFC
Still think its Adelaide that will be the team to beat. Retain basically all their players, have exclusive access to what is supposedly a very good crop of youth girls, and a good look at the best NT players in the VFLW via the Thunder.

Even if other clubs had long standing development of women with affiliated clubs in the past, the foundation teams were not able to select whoever they wanted to make a team when the competition was created. They got a couple of signings and then had to wait for the draft to make up the majority of the lists.

North and Geelong have an advantage setting up their team, unlike when the other 8 clubs did, although North have gone heavy with the raiding while Geelong went mostly for their vflw talent.

I was a big supporter of AFLW, but after this bs...I am done! Several clubs screwed and definitely not within the spirit of an equal and fair competition. Set several clubs back, while having one super Franken-team...

Should help silence the critics who complain about boring and low scoring games :huh:

I was a big supporter of AFLW, but after this bs...I am done! Several clubs screwed and definitely not within the spirit of an equal and fair competition. Set several clubs back, while having one super Franken-team...

Should help silence the critics who complain about boring and low scoring games :huh:

So you are not outraged that North won't get the first pick as well?

Been a big supporter of AFLW, attending games and multiple memberships this year. 3rd round compensation for 3 premiership players, including the league b&f. AFL and AFLW can get fcuked - I won’t donate another red cent, will support local women’s league in Ballarat only. Any mention of or viewing of AFLW in our house is now banned permanently.

Thanks this is a great idea, I hate to deprive the club or the women of the income but I just feel pretty gutted about this. It just echos what went on with the men up here for so many years. (I know, I know it's a culture problem right?)

I will just buy a couple of memberships from the local women's leagues instead. So much for us pinning hope on getting a training venue going on the growth of the AFLW.

The real competition hasn’t even started yet. 8 weeks in summer? Very few play full time? New teams being added? Some teams don’t have proper home grounds?

It’s a joke at the moment. The AFL have a long term view. The first 10 or so years will be forgotten about.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I know right
Let's penalise teams for being an attractive destination through years of hard work

Competence must be penalised lol
Please refer to this

Even if other clubs had long standing development of women with affiliated clubs in the past, the foundation teams were not able to select whoever they wanted to make a team when the competition was created. They got a couple of signings and then had to wait for the draft to make up the majority of the lists.

North and Geelong have an advantage setting up their team, unlike when the other 8 clubs did, although North have gone heavy with the raiding while Geelong went mostly for their vflw talent.
Pay close attention to the north has an advantage part....
Funny, doesn’t sound like being penalised to me

Please refer to this

Pay close attention to the north has an advantage part....
Funny, doesn’t sound like being penalised to me
Point is our picks should be right with cats picks each round

They had the same rules as us but at opposite end of the draft as us due to us being more attractive then them

Honestly, I think North will have a seriously competitive team this year. My issue is the backwards steps for the other clubs. I fail to see how this will draw spectators to the sport nor will it help silence any of its previous criticisms.
This isn’t about one team doing well. I want a competitive and exciting competition across all games. This seems counterproductive in producing a brand of edge of ur seat type football.

Been a big supporter of AFLW, attending games and multiple memberships this year. 3rd round compensation for 3 premiership players, including the league b&f. AFL and AFLW can get fcuked - I won’t donate another red cent, will support local women’s league in Ballarat only. Any mention of or viewing of AFLW in our house is now banned permanently.
Same here. I have family members and friend's daughters playing now. I will support them financially.

I'm fine with us having lower picks based on who we signed.

However.

There's a major issue in that the AFL made up the changes to draft order on the fly, and North were pushed down the order for technically doing nothing wrong.

They followed the drafting and signing rules as outlined by the AFL, who had the chance to step in and veto any signing (for some reason) at any time, and chose not to do so.

Then randomly after the period is done and dusted they decide North has done too well with the rules THEY set down, and choose to punish them for the AFLs own incompetency.

Like I said. Fine with being shunted down the order, but this is something that should have been outlined before the signing period so that clubs could plan accordingly, not added in on the fly.

Sets a bad precedent for the AFL to make it up as they go along.

What other sport in the world does a team get penalized due to the incompetency of the governing body?

However.

There's a major issue in that the AFL made up the changes to draft order on the fly, and North were pushed down the order for technically doing nothing wrong.

They followed the drafting and signing rules as outlined by the AFL, who had the chance to step in and veto any signing (for some reason) at any time, and chose not to do so.

Then randomly after the period is done and dusted they decide North has done too well with the rules THEY set down, and choose to punish them for the AFLs own incompetency.

Like I said. Fine with being shunted down the order, but this is something that should have been outlined before the signing period so that clubs could plan accordingly, not added in on the fly.

What other sport in the world does a team get penalized due to the incompetency of the governing body?

You say terms like pushed down, punished, penalised and shunted down but we’re North ever allocated higher picks then the ones they received?

It was always going to be on the fly and inadequate because the draft doesn’t work and there were inadequate means to compensate the interestate teams.

I don’t think North is in any position to complain about the draft order when the teams they pillaged received inadequate compensation for losing multiple stars.

Point is our picks should be right with cats picks each round

They had the same rules as us but at opposite end of the draft as us due to us being more attractive then them

No. The point is that you are incapable of grasping things that could be successful communicated to a wombat with an extra chromosome

As the AFL stated in the press release yesteday

In allocating extra picks, the AFL said it had made its decisions based on factors including collective value of players lost and whether the loss of players would damage a club enough to compromise competitive balance.

"As part of this process, AFLW lists were profiled when establishing the agreed four-tier payment model. The combined loss of players for each club then provided an indication of the total impact of the expansion signing period and foundation clubs are to be compensated relative to the total value of players they have lost," the AFL said in a statement.

"In doing so, the AFL reserves the right to alter the 2018 draft selection order or take any other approach to maintain competitive balance throughout the expansion process."

The whole process since the league started was subject to arbitrary decisions to ensure competitive balance, the latter being pretty critical to the success of the competition.

Like I said, good luck to north for having the foresight to basically absorb one of the old power clubs in the heavily imbalanced old VWFL and parlaying that endowment with what in hindsight was a very generous free signing period. Fortunately though the primary objective of a competitively balanced league that maximises interest and so revenue and ultimately the women's salary takes precedence over whatever your deeply ingrained sense of entitlement thinks you deserve.

It would be good to remember over the long run you are not and never will be a "destination" club and that the principle of competitive balance basically allows what is effectively closer to a VFA club in size and gravitas to realistically compete for AFL premierships. The Swans, for instance, are a destination club - that's why they will get Blakey's son!

However.

Another one that simply doesn't get it

You say terms like pushed down, punished, penalised and shunted down but we’re North ever allocated higher picks then the ones they received?

It was always going to be on the fly and inadequate because the draft doesn’t work and there were inadequate means to compensate the interestate teams.

I don’t think North is in any position to complain about the draft order when the teams they pillaged received inadequate compensation for losing multiple stars.

Obviously reading comprehension not a strong suit. I never said we were hard done by with draft order.

I said the system itself is poor that it wasn't outlined to clubs how it would work and that rules were left so vague as to allow the AFL to make it up as they went. Compensation is a part of that. It's not a good system.

Any idiot could see that new clubs were going to target half decent players.

If it's an even competition you're after, you better hope Geelong nail their early picks and get somebody who can win the ball in the middle, otherwise they will be in the s**t.

As for the supposedly raided lists, I just ran an eye over their charred remains. Each club's top dozen or so players vaguely look something like below.

Team 1: Brennan, Blackburn, Conti, H. Scott, Huntington, Lamb, Toogood, Lochland, Utri, Birch, Gogos, Berry.
Team 2: Frederick-Traub, Bates, Wuetschner, Lutkins, Anderson, Kaslar, Virgo, McCarthy, Zielke, Exon, Koenen, Conway.
Team 3: D. Pearce, O'Dea, Paxman, Grierson, Mithen, Jakobsson, S. Scott, Cunningham, M. Downie, Hore, L. Pearce, K. Smith.
Team 4: Eva, Gum, Dal Pos, Farrugia, Barclay, Beeson, Barr, Swanson, McKinnon, Tomkins, P. Randall, Staunton.
Team 5: Kearney, Ashmore, Stanton, Bruton, Garner, Duffin, Hope, Gibson, King, Randall, Hardiman, Gillespie-Jones.
Team 6: Molloy, Chiocci, Bernardi, Edwards, Lambert, Bonnici, D'Arcy, Barden, Grant, Kuys, McIntosh.
Team 7: Davey, Vescio, Harris, Stevens, Loynes, S. Hosking, Moody, Gay, J. Hosking, Audley, A. Downie, Lucas-Rodd.

There is not a lot between teams 1 (strongest) and 7 (weakest). By all means runaway and hide from AFLW if that's too hard for you to accept.

Obviously reading comprehension not a strong suit. I never said we were hard done by with draft order.

I said the system itself is poor that it wasn't outlined to clubs how it would work and that rules were left so vague as to allow the AFL to make it up as they went. Compensation is a part of that. It's not a good system.

Any idiot could see that new clubs were going to target half decent players.

Actually it is. Your rant about your club being penalised and AFL making up rules on the fly clearly showed that you’re bitter about it.

No. The point is that you are incapable of grasping things that could be successful communicated to a wombat with an extra chromosome

As the AFL stated in the press release yesteday

The whole process since the league started was subject to arbitrary decisions to ensure competitive balance, the latter being pretty critical to the success of the competition.

Like I said, good luck to north for having the foresight to basically absorb one of the old power clubs in the heavily imbalanced old VWFL and parlaying that endowment with what in hindsight was a very generous free signing period. Fortunately though the primary objective of a competitively balanced league that maximises interest and so revenue and ultimately the women's salary takes precedence over whatever your deeply ingrained sense of entitlement thinks you deserve.

It would be good to remember over the long run you are not and never will be a "destination" club and that the principle of competitive balance basically allows what is effectively closer to a VFA club in size and gravitas to realistically compete for AFL premierships. The Swans, for instance, are a destination club - that's why they will get Blakey's son!
Your last two paragraphs are contradictory. North invested in the existing relationship, it turned out that mattered to a lot of women players, so for a decent number of AFLW players it was the natural destination club.

Agree on the rest, though - it's been arbitrary from the start to try to manufacture some kind of evenness, so no surprise it is still arbitrary. And they won't be changing it for some time, so we might as well all get used to it.

All the foundation clubs have plenty of top players left, and they've had two years to play together already, so I can't see North's signings translating immediately into any kind of world-beating combination. After being left out at the start, I'm just looking forward to having a team to support.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back