Game Day AFLW RND 5 - Carlton v Melbourne Friday 23rd September 7.30PM @ Ikon Park

Remove this Banner Ad

Tough watch. Girls giving all. I know I look through a Blue lens, but a hell of a lot of decisions and non-decisions going the other way. Kez smashed by “errant” actions, Harris permitted to throw players around when nit in possession, etc, etc.
The positive is they are nit taking a backward step. Character is there and building.

Tough watch. Girls giving all. I know I look through a Blue lens, but a hell of a lot of decisions and non-decisions going the other way. Kez smashed by “errant” actions, Harris permitted to throw players around when nit in possession, etc, etc.
The positive is they are nit taking a backward step. Character is there and building.
ABC radio commentary was saying we were very stiff all night.

Got the cheap frees but basically no tackles or HTB calls.

Our lowest ever score (beating our previous low set at the start of the year by 1 point)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We had a proven goal-kicking and marking forward in Gibbs, but moved her to the backline. I still don’t understand the logic of that move when she had shown so much promise previously.

Trudgeon was out. We needed somebody to take Harris.

I was like who's Benardi? Oh we've had to elevate a train-on player, makes sense given all our injuries.
Best of luck to her and the other ins, but yeah looking ugly from a score line perspective
Not surprising when you see how many talented females Carlton has allowed to leave the club since the AFLW started....are the club lousy with what they pay them, or is Harford a rank coach or something?!! It`s a wonder any of the squad recognise each other in the change rooms with the turnover of players Carlton has had!!! I think seven players departed in the off season and a couple of them were our best players like Prespakis and Gee. They haven`t even traded well to acquire more talent so what`s the problem that players do not want to stay at the club?!!

Been there all season. She was playing as a back in the practice matches as well.

It's her first game of the season though. We needed her down back.

At the start of the season we had Milford, McWilliams and Austin up forward with Moody/Good as resting rucks. We had Trudgeon and Jones as our tall defender options. It made sense to train someone else down back.

Now that we have lost McWilliams and Austin for the season, Gibbs would have to be a chance to go forward again when Trudgeon returns.

Not surprising when you see how many talented females Carlton has allowed to leave the club since the AFLW started....are the club lousy with what they pay them, or is Harford a rank coach or something?!! It`s a wonder any of the squad recognise each other in the change rooms with the turnover of players Carlton has had!!! I think seven players departed in the off season and a couple of them were our best players like Prespakis and Gee. They haven`t even traded well to acquire more talent so what`s the problem that players do not want to stay at the club?!!

Brisbane had an exodus and they are successful. Bulldogs heaps of players.

We just want buy in and team unity. I can see how it rebuild is progressing well.

We have multiple gun players surrounded by youth.

Let's not keep looking in the rear vision mirror.

Love the blind love and eternal optimism.

Not blind.

Hill is a gun. Sherar getting better every game. Vickers finding her spot down back. Guerin and Austin out for the season but both look great.

McEvoy will be a gun. McKay is awesome. Laloifi is a gun. Peterson is a gun. Moody close to the best ruck in the comp.

Skepper looks like a winner.

Need to get our forward line right and add another key defender. This and experience will see us improving constantly.

Our performance this year is understandable given the amount of talent we’ve had walk out. We are a young team now in the same pack as the new teams. That’s just the reality of where we are at.

I do question Harford as coach though. I think we need something fresh. There always seems to be quite a few leaving with him as coach and there is no identifiable game plan. Something seems off about the culture. We seem to have a lot of girls who crack in hard admirably but have limited polish with ball-in-hand. Unfortunately the only way to rectify this is through the draft and it’s the worst time to be rebuilding with the new teams also picking the eyes out of it.

Anyways will continue to watch and look for the green shoots as Bolton would say but it’s going to be a tough few years.

We had a proven goal-kicking and marking forward in Gibbs, but moved her to the backline. I still don’t understand the logic of that move when she had shown so much promise previously.
Neither do I. The recruitment of McWilliams to come straight into the team looks absolutely bizarre.
Trudgeon was out. We needed somebody to take Harris.
Then you put Laloifi or Peterson on Tayla. Or alternatively, you don't * up the club culture, tactics, and recruitment so much that she leaves in the first place, but we could only dream.
At the start of the season we had Milford, McWilliams and Austin up forward with Moody/Good as resting rucks. We had Trudgeon and Jones as our tall defender options. It made sense to train someone else down back.

Now that we have lost McWilliams and Austin for the season, Gibbs would have to be a chance to go forward again when Trudgeon returns.
At the start of the season we had Good, Austin and McWilliams, and I would make the argument it was the worst tall forward mix we could have picked.

Harford seems to be playing for immediate results in the first year of a two year contract with an onus on a rebuild. He's all over the shop in that respect. If we're being patient with Gibbs, I can respect that, but we brought Ortlepp in for her athleticism and height, and she'd likely run rings around Good as a forward while providing solid ruck minutes.

Are we down Schaap, Ortleep, and Jones as well right now?

Further to all this, what are we doing with Milford's development? Is she a third tall, is she a key forward, is she being protein rationed by the club dietician? She barely troubled the statisicians, and looks set to be dropped ASAP. Being the lone tall up there definitely didn't help, if only we had a means to release Gibbs to the forward line, like a couple of high quality tall defend- wait a second...
Brisbane had an exodus and they are successful. Bulldogs heaps of players.

We just want buy in and team unity. I can see how it rebuild is progressing well.

We have multiple gun players surrounded by youth.

Let's not keep looking in the rear vision mirror.
We've made a lot of horrible errors with recruitment, with two sets of staff now. I want a recruitment team that operates professionally and with a more scientific approach to what they're doing. Right now I see a team that's wildly speculating and has zero gauge of athletic performance. The Dogs are switched on in this regard, and clearly borrow from the philosophies of the mens team, which puts you streets ahead in a developing league.

Brisbane benefit from getting to dominate an entire state pool for years, and still split the best talent almost 50/50.

I genuinely feel like myself and some others on this forum - despite a lack of hours put into talent ID and analysis for the related leagues - could make better picks, trades, and signings for Carlton's AFLW side. We look genuinely hopeless in this regard, and now we're basically at the bottom of the entire competition with no one to blame but ourselves.

Further to this, we need to seriously invest in the high performance side of things, because they've got the facilities - and had them well enough before then - and we're seeing such limited progress from so many.

The history of athletics shows us that when afforded the opportunity, women are generally capable of 90% of the performance of men in terms of physical output. The history of analysing critical thinking has shown us that women - while perhaps not identical in a broader sense - are as capable as men.

What I am seeing out there from our club as we progress into a full-time league with full-time professionals, is a lack of committment to excelling in either realm. Where is the leadership?

Last edited:
Yeah Jimmae, not doing the self appointed recruiter schtick or the poor Tayla left because of our horrible culture argument.

It seems to me that in the absence of known facts, you side with your club until you know for sure and have reason to pot them.

As for the notion that we take away what Peterson has been doing in the midfield to stand Harris, so we can play a fringe Gibbs forward, it just feels like the wrong move.

Harris is supposedly 177cm but her reach and leap is huge. Peterson and Laloifi are 173cm and are dwarfed by her on field.

I'm also not sure where we would be without Mua covering for the rest of the team. She can't do that following Harris around.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back