Autopsy AFLW Round 5, 2022 (S7): Geelong v St.Kilda

Who Wins?

• Cats

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Saints

Votes: 3 100.0%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

In other circumstances, we would be a good chance against Geelong. They play super defensively and make games very ugly.

But we've been royally screwed with the fixturing here - 5 day break after a very long travel and a game played in hot conditions. We are also missing a good portion of the backline, McDonald would still be in the 12 day concussion window and there will be some doubts over Friend and McKinnon based off Dal's post game press conference.

In other circumstances, we would be a good chance against Geelong. They play super defensively and make games very ugly.

But we've been royally screwed with the fixturing here - 5 day break after a very long travel and a game played in hot conditions. We are also missing a good portion of the backline, McDonald would still be in the 12 day concussion window and there will be some doubts over Friend and McKinnon based off Dal's post game press conference.
What's going on with Friend and McKinnon?

On a small positive should get Fitzpatrick back

What's going on with Friend and McKinnon?

On a small positive should get Fitzpatrick back
McKinnon needed treated for heat stroke after the game. You'd think she would be fine to play but the short turn around is likely going to have her below her best. And Friend was sent to hospital post game for a chest x-ray. No update yet on the result but she will likely be very sore.

Yeah, the Cats are probably the most boring team out there. Think Ross Lyon at Sydney. Or Ross Lyon at St Kilda :sweatsmile:

You'd think McKinnon would be ok. Friend sounds like ribs, even if bruised they are a real pain in the ar*e to play with, I'll tip she misses. Fitzpatrick could return, a second week missing might worry us. If she misses we'll have just one emergency.

Kelly was named as an emergency, but I don't think she was a chance to play. She seems to have niggle after niggle. Tyanna would be getting close! Maybe 1-3 weeks away now. Ott still a few weeks off.

I'd like to see Anderson unleashed, I think it's time for a crack. If the Cats flood like they normally do and the match is played mostly in our forward half, Anderson's pressure and toughness could be a bonus.

Geelong, Carlton and Port are probably our best chances for the remainder of the season. Still, I'm not sure we can be favourites for any of those. We're running on fumes at the moment. Would be an awesome job getting over the line in any of them.

Ella Friend and Erin McKinnon will be available for selection this Thursday night after receiving respective treatment following last weekend’s match against Gold Coast.

Friend was taken to Mackay Base Hospital for precautionary scans on her liver after being involved in two separate collisions either side of half-time, while McKinnon was similarly monitored by doctors after succumbing to heat stress in the final minute of the game.

McKinnon, Friend get the green light for Thursday night

Current injury list. Looks like Tyanna and Kelly have been pushed back further.... now not confident they'll play this season, not sure I'd even risk one or two matches at the end of the season.

PlayerInjuryEstimated return
Grace Kelly Achilles Indefinite
Molly McDonald Concussion TBC
Rebecca Ott Calf 2-3 weeks
Renee Saulitis ACL Season
Tyanna Smith ACL 4-5 weeks
Jayde Van Dyk ACLSeason

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Great to have Van Dyke FitzPatrick back.

If we can get our outside game going again, we can in this game. But Geelong love a scrap so that will be tough.

After how bad we started against GC, we need a strong first quarter.

Last edited:
Great to have Van Dyke back.

If we can get our outside game going again, we can in this game. But Geelong love a scrap so that will be tough.

After how bad we started against GC, we need a strong first quarter.
Assume you mean FitzPatrick. Van Dyk done for the year.

Fitzpatrick very important. Been great since coming back.
Hoping we see a bit from Anderson in the centre bounces as well as fwd.

Interesting that White has been named on the back flank again. Wonder if she has a run with job lined up

Assume you mean FitzPatrick. Van Dyk done for the year.

Fitzpatrick very important. Been great since coming back.
Hoping we see a bit from Anderson in the centre bounces as well as fwd.

Interesting that White has been named on the back flank again. Wonder if she has a run with job lined up
I keep getting them mixed up. She is a big inclusion and makes the defence look a lot stronger than it did last week.

How much longer will they mention Patrikios not getting the jab? Time for the commentary team to move on ffs. She's not at 100%, but I think she could have a big night here.

Similar physical issues that can't really be solved. Can't cover the ground quickly enough, nor explode from the packs. We can't give ourselves space to deliver with less pressure. Forward line pushing up doesn't help us in this case. A more "stay at home" forward line might be worth a try. I don't want to get beaten like this.

Similar physical issues that can't really be solved. Can't cover the ground quickly enough, nor explode from the packs. We can't give ourselves space to deliver with less pressure. Forward line pushing up doesn't help us in this case. A more "stay at home" forward line might be worth a try. I don't want to get beaten like this.

They're retaining structures, we're still moths to flame and just getting bodied mostly. Looking very ugly specially with how it's officiated.

Back