Autopsy AFLW Round 6, 2022: St.Kilda v Brisbane

Who Wins?

• Saints

Votes: 1 11.1%
  • Lions

Votes: 8 88.9%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

The positive is they were certainly much improved in their skills particularly in the first half. We also seemed to take the game on and put Brisbane under territory pressure, something we haven't been able to do all season.

Jakobbson is possibly our best player? Phillips, TLR, Priest are reliable. You can build around players like White, Macdonald, Shannon, Greiser, Xenos, Van Dyke. If we could get Patrikios, Smith, Vesely, Dhillon back into the centre - would make a huge difference.

We have the pieces, the difference that St KildaW's team lives and dies by is we completely have nothing to offer in that elite category (obvious GP exluded), and it's the AFLW elite players that are generally the difference between winning and losing. I believe we may have recruited Kate McCarthy as a marquee a few years ago(?), unsure if that's still the case but she's well out of favour and can't get a game.

For example, Darcy Vescio was offered a job at Carlton and drives around a Hyundai. Tayla Harris also drove around a spiffy Hyundai when she was still at Carlton. Katie Brennan crossed to Richmond, left as captain of the Dogs who were quite successful at the time for a neat off field package courtesy of Richmond & Puma. Bri Davey didn't just cross to Collingwood for the colours either.

I'm not across the league and it's salary capping, but given our financial situation as a club I can't imagine we have much to offer "off field/outside the salary cap" to entice a star AFLW to join us. It's also going to get worse when you have Hawthorn & Essendon entering next season, not only will they be head hunting with big $$$, they will also monopolise the early picks in the draft we obviously so desperately need.

And I'm not trashing this aspect of outside cap player payments either, it's necessary to support part time athletes. But it'd be good to know how much sh*t we are pushing up hill compared to other AFLW teams. I guess if we don't have material items to promise athletes, the next best thing we can do is build an attractive and positive club culture - as a fan and not at all involved in womens football it's hard to know where we're measuring at that. Does anyone know?
Think you are right re. McCarthy
Positively our women seem to be getting some good sponsorship so maybe some of these options for off field payment stuff will come with time.
You also need to be able to attract them and I think Dal will be someone who could provide that too.
Will be an interesting offseason. Hopefully they are active as may be some opportunities open up.

On a positive we have some of our better players already signed up: Veseley, Priest, White, TLR, Smith, Xenos

And just on my point above, I've taken this from the AFLW board:

If we can't get our hands on a clutch of A graders, then we need to build a team like North with a large spread of B/B+/Cs who returned to their old Melb Uni Blues affiliate (aka good culture).

aflwstarplayers-png.1321493

The positive is they were certainly much improved in their skills particularly in the first half. We also seemed to take the game on and put Brisbane under territory pressure, something we haven't been able to do all season.

Jakobbson is possibly our best player? Phillips, TLR, Priest are reliable. You can build around players like White, Macdonald, Shannon, Greiser, Xenos, Van Dyke. If we could get Patrikios, Smith, Vesely, Dhillon back into the centre - would make a huge difference.

We have the pieces, the difference that St KildaW's team lives and dies by is we completely have nothing to offer in that elite category (obvious GP exluded), and it's the AFLW elite players that are generally the difference between winning and losing. I believe we may have recruited Kate McCarthy as a marquee a few years ago(?), unsure if that's still the case but she's well out of favour and can't get a game.

For example, Darcy Vescio was offered a job at Carlton and drives around a Hyundai. Tayla Harris also drove around a spiffy Hyundai when she was still at Carlton. Katie Brennan crossed to Richmond, left as captain of the Dogs who were quite successful at the time for a neat off field package courtesy of Richmond & Puma. Bri Davey didn't just cross to Collingwood for the colours either.

I'm not across the league and it's salary capping, but given our financial situation as a club I can't imagine we have much to offer "off field/outside the salary cap" to entice a star AFLW to join us. It's also going to get worse when you have Hawthorn & Essendon entering next season, not only will they be head hunting with big $$$, they will also monopolise the early picks in the draft we obviously so desperately need.

And I'm not trashing this aspect of outside cap player payments either, it's necessary to support part time athletes. But it'd be good to know how much sh*t we are pushing up hill compared to other AFLW teams. I guess if we don't have material items to promise athletes, the next best thing we can do is build an attractive and positive club culture - as a fan and not at all involved in womens football it's hard to know where we're measuring at that. Does anyone know?
You are spot on about us not being able to offer the same off field incentives as the big clubs. We've been trying (e.g. our offer to Marinoff last year), but haven't been able to attract the a high enough quality player from another club.

I dont envy the job the AFLW recruiters have ahead of them.

And just on my point above, I've taken this from the AFLW board:

If we can't get our hands on a clutch of A graders, then we need to build a team like North with a large spread of B/B+/Cs who returned to their old Melb Uni Blues affiliate (aka good culture).

aflwstarplayers-png.1321493
That stat would not look good for us without Georgia either I reckon.
She is the closest thing we have to one of the above

So basically we need to find a car sponsor and fill our players driveways, and their families. Then get them "part time" jobs in real estate, where they might show up for a day in the year, but get all kinds of sweet deals for themselves and their families. Is DeLorean sponsoring anyone? I'm not sure milk is much of a bonus.

On the players. We've been a bit nice I think. Hopefully some tough calls are made end of season. I would think that Exon, Dillon and McCarthy might be on the block. Probably depends how much quality we can bring in. But unfortunately they aren't cutting it now and I can't see them taking us forward, the AFLW standard might have gone passed them.

Former Saints doing well elsewhere...
Drennan kicking arse at the Suns.
Whitfort an electric hungry tackling machine at the Suns too.
Kelly rucking at the Tigers until injured. Only looked to be improving. Could really use her now.
Brown playing a few games at the Demons.

I'm still spewing that we didn't want Bohanna. We're really short on quality, and Bohanna was right in front of us for ages and was such an obvious choice. I really question our talent I.D. Hopefully that will change with Dal Santo in charge.

I just don't know why we've let these players go who could've taken us forward, but held on to players who really haven't been up to it for their age and position. Maybe they left for more money? Unfortunately we don't really get answers when it comes to AFLW movements.

On a positive we have some of our better players already signed up: Veseley, Priest, White, TLR, Smith, Xenos

Someone on the other forum said that contracts won't be worth diddly with the new clubs able to poach whoever they want. I haven't read anything official though.

With the announcement coming in December that Sydney, Port Adelaide, Essendon and Hawthorn will have rights to each of the first eight picks in their respective state drafts, even if St Kilda is to remain rooted in 14th place by season’s end, their prize for their pain will be Pick No.9 in the Victorian Draft – their worst entry point in history.

Add in the fact that the Swans, Power, Bombers and Hawks will also be afforded free rein to pick the eyes out of other rosters, and the Saints could be attacking 2023 with little more than a husk.

Difficult to see things getting better next year. The worst team in the comp only gets pick 9, and the very slim quality players we do have will be poached. Dal has inherited a nightmare. I hope he's in it for the long haul.

With the announcement coming in December that Sydney, Port Adelaide, Essendon and Hawthorn will have rights to each of the first eight picks in their respective state drafts, even if St Kilda is to remain rooted in 14th place by season’s end, their prize for their pain will be Pick No.9 in the Victorian Draft – their worst entry point in history.

Add in the fact that the Swans, Power, Bombers and Hawks will also be afforded free rein to pick the eyes out of other rosters, and the Saints could be attacking 2023 with little more than a husk.

Difficult to see things getting better next year. The worst team in the comp only gets pick 9, and the very slim quality players we do have will be poached. Dal has inherited a nightmare. I hope he's in it for the long haul.
Just got to hope we can keep the pillars of what we have.
Get Smith back, hope we keep Patrikios (and the covid rules are relaxed it seems) and see some general improvement over the year.
We might be ok but if any players walk to the new clubs then we are in strife.
Hopefully Dal creates a place they want to stay at!

Pretty harsh getting pick 9 for finishing last. I think we should be banging down the door of AFL House for a priority pick, even if it's 5 that's better than 9!

I'd love our team to get a win this season, but next week would be the worst time to do it. If we end up above Carlton, the argument for a priority pick gets harder. We already missed out on Prespakis or Rowbottom because we were sh*t at being sh*t last year 🙃, let's do it properly now at not miss out on quality players again. But boy I'd love to see the Blues end up with the spoon at our hands... damn it footy gods!!!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pretty harsh getting pick 9 for finishing last. I think we should be banging down the door of AFL House for a priority pick, even if it's 5 that's better than 9!

I'd love our team to get a win this season, but next week would be the worst time to do it. If we end up above Carlton, the argument for a priority pick gets harder. We already missed out on Prespakis or Rowbottom because we were sh*t at being sh*t last year 🙃, let's do it properly now at not miss out on quality players again. But boy I'd love to see the Blues end up with the spoon at our hands... damn it footy gods!!!
Wouldn't it be pick 5 in the Voc pool, but pick 9 overall?

Still not ideal for how bad we are.

that is quite possibly the most demoralising paragraph I've read.

ugh. I hate Carlton but I also like high picks

Wouldn't it be pick 5 in the Voc pool, but pick 9 overall?

Still not ideal for how bad we are.

Unfortunately not. According to that article, Hawks and Bombers have been given the first eight picks in Victoria, four each.

Absolutely overkill considering they will rampage through existing clubs lists as well.

I hope we have the lube ready.

Unfortunately not. According to that article, Hawks and Bombers have been given the first eight picks in Victoria, four each.

Absolutely overkill considering they will rampage through existing clubs lists as well.

I hope we have the lube ready.
Pretty sure the article is wrong - it's the first 8 picks divided between the 4 expansion sides, not just the Vic sides.

Lore who does the provisional draft order has us coming in at 9 overall, which would be 5th in Vic.

Pretty sure the article is wrong - it's the first 8 picks divided between the 4 expansion sides, not just the Vic sides.

Lore who does the provisional draft order has us coming in at 9 overall, which would be 5th in Vic.

I think you're right Brut. Pick 5 is better, and I still hope we push for a priority pick at 6. Honestly, we'd probably be in a better way if we packed it in and re-entered the comp hahaha. So much more to choose from now, and one would think that the talent I.D. would be easier.
We almost will be worse than starting from scratch, our best will be poached and we'll have to find quality from somewhere, without the AFL handouts of the new clubs. We aren't Brisbane or Fremantle or Adelaide who had the entire state to themselves. We aren't a well established and strong Victorian club like the Demons. We are an expansion club and already getting reamed. If the AFL don't exclude us from poaching, what was the bloody point of entering when we did, only to be bled dry soon after?

I think you're right Brut. Pick 5 is better, and I still hope we push for a priority pick at 6. Honestly, we'd probably be in a better way if we packed it in and re-entered the comp hahaha. So much more to choose from now, and one would think that the talent I.D. would be easier.
We almost will be worse than starting from scratch, our best will be poached and we'll have to find quality from somewhere, without the AFL handouts of the new clubs. We aren't Brisbane or Fremantle or Adelaide who had the entire state to themselves. We aren't a well established and strong Victorian club like the Demons. We are an expansion club and already getting reamed. If the AFL don't exclude us from poaching, what was the bloody point of entering when we did, only to be bled dry soon after?
Your not wrong. Jamie Cox mentioned on twitter yesterday in response to the unevenness of the league that we've only had 1 top 10 draft pick each of the 3 years we have been in the comp which is no more, or in some cases less, than what the experienced/original clubs have had access too. Our first pick in our first year was after some already established clubs.

SO it is very difficult to bridge that gap to get closer to the established clubs - who already have top end talent on their lists due to already being in the comp- when we are getting the same access to the top draftees every year. This years expansion crop getting 2 of the very top end players first is a big leg up because of how much more impact those top picks have in the AFLW.

Your not wrong. Jamie Cox mentioned on twitter yesterday in response to the unevenness of the league that we've only had 1 top 10 draft pick each of the 3 years we have been in the comp which is no more, or in some cases less, than what the experienced/original clubs have had access too. Our first pick in our first year was after some already established clubs.

SO it is very difficult to bridge that gap to get closer to the established clubs - who already have top end talent on their lists due to already being in the comp- when we are getting the same access to the top draftees every year. This years expansion crop getting 2 of the very top end players first is a big leg up because of how much more impact those top picks have in the AFLW.
Didnt we drop down the order cos we got Mccarthy from Brisbane?

that is quite possibly the most demoralising paragraph I've read.
yes, i started to feel that we won'r win a game anywhere and won't be playing finals for years. i was very disheartened.

Didnt we drop down the order cos we got Mccarthy from Brisbane?
Brisbane got pick 15 from us for that trade. Richmond had pick 1 but that went to the Dogs for Conti. Then 3 established teams got picks before we got our first.

Seems the AFL realised they messed up with how they handed out picks last time and have amended that for the new batch, yet the teams most affected will be the clubs who they screwed over last time.

Brisbane got pick 15 from us for that trade. Richmond had pick 1 but that went to the Dogs for Conti. Then 3 established teams got picks before we got our first.

Seems the AFL realised they messed up with how they handed out picks last time and have amended that for the new batch, yet the teams most affected will be the clubs who they screwed over last time.

The club has to have a representative to speak up about these things. If this were Collingwood in the men's league they would make a lot of noise on the radio and TV every day until things change.

Back