AFLW AFLW Season 7, Mega Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Johnson being recognised in that squad is my favourite of all the 8 nominations we've seen between this and the AA squad

Players like A Mac, Prespakis and Scheer get a lot of attention from both they media and fans - at times the fan vote seems to just default to one of them regardless of what we've seen from others during the match

Johnson is one of those who didn't look out of place when she debuted last season and I genuinely felt we missed her after she went down injured, so it was great when she returned for round 1 this season & picked to where she left off

It just feels that she gets somewhat overlooked for her season as she's not as flashy as a few teammates, instead she's just super reliable & gets the job done each week. This is great recognition and hopefully from next season people start to take a bit more notice of what she has to offer
Great call.

Who gets delisted? Retires?

Are there a certain amount of players that have to be turned over; I'm unsure of the rule - if I had to guess I'd say 3 at a minimum?

I'm guessing one of either Kalani Scoullar or Samantha Gooden - both 190cm; Gooden couldn't get on the park with knee issues, she's 25, Scoullar is only 19ish - will go.

Kate Darby's birthday yesterday; she turned 32 - she had some ups and downs this year, her whole career has been a bit like that, but she gives us a bit of flexibility and when she's on she can be a match-winner. Might only happen once a year. But it happens. I reckon she goes around one more time.

Renee Garing? Missed the entirety of AFLW7 and will be 34 at the start of next season. A fierce competitor, but always a bit on the fringe, probably plays a similar style to Crockett-Grills. Kate Darby showed how well a W player can come back after giving birth and focusing on an infant for a year; Garing is that bit older though, and she played a very high-impact style for someone of her size, too.
I suspect the club will give her the opportunity. I'd probably be a little more ruthless if I were running things.

Abby McDonald, Ingrid Houtsma; these two didn't even get a look-in this year. Houtsma is a Geelong girl, she was drafted to Richmond for AFLW6 but didn't play a game with them; that's two seasons now in the system without cracking it for a senior game. She has some height but is very slight. McDonald I have no idea about; she's only a kid, deserves to be retained a little longer imo.

Maddy Keryk will likely retire, if not she'll get the tap and perhaps play for one of the expansion sides. She's been really solid for us overall, but was clearly no longer best 22.

Mia Skinner underwhelmed despite kicking one of the goals of the year; Georgia Clarke got an early game or two only to disappear completely. Of those two, I would retain Clarke but she needs to start putting it together.

Does Maddy McMahon make a comeback?

What happened to Gabbi Featherston this year?

My recommendations:

Retire: Maddy Keryk, thank you for your work in tough times. I would encourage Renee Garing to do the same.
Delist: Mia Skinner, Samantha Gooden. Ingrid Houtsma a real borderline case; hasn't had an opportunity at senior level and to be fair to her probably needs to develop a bit of physical resilience before mixing it with the AFLW's best.

Jackie Parry, Georgia Clarke, Gabbi Featherston - even Bec Webster - I would happily entertain a trade for draft picks for these players; I don't expect them to go by any means (Parry just got here!) but personally I'd be willing to roll the dice. Surely Webster was injured or something in the back-end of AFLW7; her form tailed off alarmingly, ending in a genuinely catastrophic final against North Melbourne. If she stays with us for AFLW8 I would consider playing her off half-back; she could be groomed as a Meg Mac understudy going forward.

I like Laura Gardiner, but if she wanted to walk I wouldn't want the club standing in her way.

If I was a betting man I would guess McMahon won't come back. I hope I'm wrong; I've been a fan of hers before she was even AFLW listed.

Absolutely imperative that we build our AFLW8 campaign around the McDonalds (Abby, happy for you to get on board with that too!), Georgie P, Chloe Scheer, Claudia Gunjaca, Chantel Emonson, Zali Friswell, Annabel Johnson, Darcy Moloney and Mikayla Bowen. I would make Nina Morrison our next captain. Olivia Fuller will remain important for the forseeable future. They're the dozen or so players I think we desperately need to retain if this team is to cohere and go to the next level.

It'd be great to get another tall forward capable of pushing her way past Parry in the pecking order; I don't mean to disparage Parry but I just don't think she quite has ''it'' - from what I have seen her and Georgia Clarke are pretty much interchangeable. Parry's best quality may be her ability to at least nullify an aerial contest; she was badly expose even in this modest task in our Finals loss to North.

Bit of a rant = yes. But delistings will be announced any minute; change is in the air and list management in the AFLW is even more anarchic in than the men's, which is itself pretty fast and loose.

Womens.afl's Player of the Season​

23 – Monique Conti (Richmond)
20 – Amy McDonald (Geelong)
19 – Jasmine Garner (North Melbourne)
17 – Alyce Parker (GWS), Maddy Prespakis (Essendon)
15 – Anne Hatchard (Adelaide), Kiara Bowers (Fremantle)
14 – Ally Anderson (Brisbane), Ebony Marinoff (Adelaide), Georgie Prespakis (Geelong)*, Charlie Rowbottom (Gold Coast)
* = ineligible for the AFLW best and fairest due to suspension

Womens.afl's Player of the Season​

23 – Monique Conti (Richmond)
20 – Amy McDonald (Geelong)
19 – Jasmine Garner (North Melbourne)
17 – Alyce Parker (GWS), Maddy Prespakis (Essendon)
15 – Anne Hatchard (Adelaide), Kiara Bowers (Fremantle)
14 – Ally Anderson (Brisbane), Ebony Marinoff (Adelaide), Georgie Prespakis (Geelong)*, Charlie Rowbottom (Gold Coast)
* = ineligible for the AFLW best and fairest due to suspension

Interesting that Geelong and Adelaide were the only 2 sides with 2 players in the top 10 (or 11 in this case).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bonus points without looking it up for people who can name the other B2B2B B&F winner at Geelong.

Dangerfield won 3 in a row, but the first was with Adelaide

Also, congrats to Nina who finished third and Georgie for being runner up - but really it was a race in two, and that's only cause Georgie missed 2 games with suspension & wasn't right in our final

Our top 10 has a good mix of youth & experience - now to keep our youth together

AFLW Best and Fairest Top 10

1. Amy McDonald – 127
2. Georgie Prespakis – 123
3. Nina Morrison – 67
4. Chantel Emonson – 46
5. Rebecca Webster – 46
6. Shelley Scott – 39
7. Chloe Scheer – 37
8. Claudia Gunjaca – 30
8. Mikayla Bowen – 30
10. Meghan McDonald – 25

Voting system
At the completion of each AFLW match, the senior coach awarded a 5, 4, 3, 2, 1 rating for the five best players. The three AFLW line coaches are also required to award a 5, 4, 3, 2, 1 to the five best players for each match. These two ratings are combined to give each player an aggregate score out of 20 for that AFLW round.

Culture?

Richmond AFLW player Jess Hosking has been charged for allegedly driving a jet-ski while under the influence of alcohol on a trip to Burleigh Heads, Queensland.

Richmond said they were aware of the incident, which occurred over the weekend, and have informed the AFL.

“Hosking has been charged for driving a jet-ski while under the influence of alcohol,” the club said in a statement.

“The AFL has been informed of the incident and as this matter is currently under investigation by Queensland Police we are unable to make any further comment.”

Hosking is in Queensland with fellow Tigers players, including sister Sarah, Grace Egan and Eilish Sheerin.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back