AFLW AFLW Season 7

Remove this Banner Ad

Gold Coast can pre-sign up to four mature-age (born prior to 2004) players who have previously nominated for the NAB AFLW Draft. The Suns have also received an end-of-second-round compensation pick (currently No.49 nationally, No.3 in Queensland)

Does this mean we have more players or do we need to cut an extra 4 players?

Does this mean we have more players or do we need to cut an extra 4 players?
Just means you have the option to sign 4 mature players with the list spots you have available. You can cut whomever you like, if you feel you want to take the entire 4 players.

Given the draft is location based, this is a better read of the draft

1. (19 overall) Gold Coast
2. (41) Brisbane
3. (49) Gold Coast
4. (53) Gold Coast
5. (58) Brisbane
6. (69) Gold Coast
7. (76) Brisbane
Seeing as we draft from our own academies, draft order basically means sfa for both of us, unless we’re both going for the same girl out of the QAFLW.

Seeing as we draft from our own academies, draft order basically means sfa for both of us, unless we’re both going for the same girl out of the QAFLW.
Or if a highly rated potential draftee decides to move to QLD, in which case she has to nominate the whole state, a la Rowbottom.

Or if, say, Brisbane get a GC academy player to nominate for the whole state. Which is exactly what they attempted last year with Levi.

But other than those really significant scenarios, it is indeed totally meaningless.

Wow.
Gold Coast is set to lose up to five players over the coming days of AFLW trade period.

With captain Hannah Dunn having already departed for expansion club Port Adelaide, Kate Surman, Jacqui Yorston, Cheyenne Hammond and Britt Perry are set to be traded to Alberton.

That quartet could not join as expansion signings, with the Suns having already reached their cap of expansion departures through the loss of Dunn, Sarah Perkins and Janet Baird, the latter two having joined Hawthorn.

It’s understood Hammond and Perry would not have been offered new deals by Gold Coast and that they have been added to the trade to expedite their moves to the Power. Meanwhile, Dee Heslop could be traded from the Suns to the Brisbane Lions.

Gold Coast is, however, set to bring in Courtney Jones from Carlton.

Those girls would be massive losses :(

Are we doing something wrong? Why are we having a max exodus?
Only Yorston and Surman are losses. Heslop pretty good too. It looks like 5 of our girls will end up in Port according to article.

How good is Courtney Jones?

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Only Yorston and Surman are losses. Heslop pretty good too. It looks like 5 of our girls will end up in Port according to article.

How good is Courtney Jones?
The thing is the trade back will be stuff all. They have no players to trade and all we will get back is picks which are completely meaningless in AFLW as everything is all zoned.

surely this is a money thing or something? big deals on offer with the new CBA and the new clubs? super disappointing.
I did hear that one player was only offered 1 year at the Suns but Port offered a 2 year contract which is why she took Port’s offer

The thing is the trade back will be stuff all. They have no players to trade and all we will get back is picks which are completely meaningless in AFLW as everything is all zoned.
We got now 3 mature players coming in. See above article. Plus Jones and possibly more in trades. Bradfield coming from ACL looked like a real talent. Plus some great academy kids like Davies. Far from disaster.

As I said I believe only Yorston and Surman, possibly Heslop are losses.

Yorston?! I'm staggered. My favourite. She's a local. Her partner plays for the GC Titans. The money must be really good. :(

Time to update the profile pic I guess.
Weird because they just bought a house together in Queensland too!

Her best friend is Lauren Bella. Hope we retain her!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back