S Kekovich
D Wade
J Rawlings
S Rocca

M Porter
D Morrell
J Smith

Ready for some (summer) football?

If you're glued to this blog you probably are.

Speaking on NAB AFL Trade Radio, Damian Barrett has dropped some news about how the summer football season will be organised.

He suggests that AFLX, the new nine-a-side game played on a rectangular field, will kick off the pre-season, with the games played in round-robin format over a day or perhaps even a weekend.

That will be followed by the JLT Series, which will feature two games for every club over a three-week period.

Each club will play one game in a market/venue it chooses (such as Hawthorn in Tasmania) with the location of the other game being at the discretion of the AFL.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

giphy.gif

Anyone else think AFLX will be a fizzer?

A rectangular field? possible nine players to a team? No thanks if it ain't broke don't fix it.

Why the AFL have to change everything all the time by bringing in new rules has me stumped, the only explanation for AFLX is expansion, as most football fields around the world are rectangular, perhaps trying to get an overseas market for the game? Still......wont be AFL if it a rectangular field.

In terms of AFL it is a stupid concept. BUT it also opens the door up for them to play in many more venues (due to the pitch), therefore extending its reach. As to if it gets caught on will be yet to be seen.

But for me personally I'd like to play it.....

But for me personally I'd like to play it.....

Is that so you dont have to run a far ;).

Seriously watching the NMFC Grand Final Breakfast with the redcard debate, I think the look on Gillon McLachlan's face said it all, he was seriously considering the concept of a red card brought into the AFL and looked embarrassed when the NO's won it.

Is that so you dont have to run a far ;).

Seriously watching the NMFC Grand Final Breakfast with the redcard debate, I think the look on Gillon McLachlan's face said it all, he was seriously considering the concept of a red card brought into the AFL and looked embarrassed when the NO's won it.
Gillon and his brother needs to ship off.

In answer to your question, yes. I have condition that has prevents me from doing anything for too long so I have horrible endurance even when I am super fit. Football really prevented me from going to the next level due to that so I focused more on futsal in my late 20s...ended football in early 30s due to that and constant hamstring issues and I miss it, even though it makes me vomit every time I play. A big factor is also due to the time of the day football is played. Night games I starred and I was like a different player :(

So AFLX is perfect for me. Ad to whether or not it will be played in my area is another thing.

Kudos to North being on the front step with AFLX, however thoughts will remain the same on this, the AFL should not have played with tradition of the game.

Why don't we concentrate on the afl side first

Hypothetical but what if AFLX suddenly took off and became bigger than AFL itself. How would the AFL handle that?

Wont happen I know, just don't get the push for a new format.

Hypothetical but what if AFLX suddenly took off and became bigger than AFL itself. How would the AFL handle that?

Wont happen I know, just don't get the push for a new format.

Then the AFL would become known as exAFL and AFLX would become AFL.

Right now I'm not going to lose even a millisecond of sleep on that concern.

This has been created purely to sell the brand globally.
The idea is that almost every country has a rectangular pitch used for soccer, NFL, hockey and/or rugby.
Most don't have anything that matches an AFL stadium other than cricket playing nations.

The idea being to get more international talent and international TV rights for more $

Remove this Banner Ad

Back