Opinion AFLX - What do we think of this round robin pre-preseason experiment?

Remove this Banner Ad

Yes but this would be a 30 year plan. 2 generations are needed to create a change.
If you think you’re going to get 1 in 20 Americans playing AFL in 30 years from now I’ll have what you’re smoking.

There were about 17m Americans that played American Football in the last 12 months. That is the most popular sport in the country where some players earn more than the entire salary cap of an AFL club and the average salary for a starter is something like $4m/year.

So you think AFLX (or any AFL initiative) is going to attract more players in the US in 30 years time than their most popular current sport?

Do you really think they’d love Aussie Rules that much that they’d play it over a game that the average player earns 10 times as much (and still 4 times as much as the best AFL player)?

It is not about being scared....it is about not liking the concept. It is toooo fake with the noise and the commentary and hoohaa. Our game is above all this crap. Bring on the real footy, I say!!

Probably the same when 20/20 started and it was just internationals. You'd have Slater and James banging on about it being "the rock and roll of cricket", like that wasn't the most cringeworthy thing to say without being jumboprince whilst speaking.

Then the BBL started up and it was a little better but still kind of state based but now they have the set up right.

Maybe AFLX will get its head around making some decent changes and make it a decent comp for everyone...fans and players

Last edited by a moderator:

Best hing about the AFLX last night was seeing Jack Watts be exactly as expected. I will be shocked if he offers Port fans any less frustration than he has Melbourne fans his entire career

You mean he's not a superstar ?

A sense of impending doom has come over the Port Board today

If you think you’re going to get 1 in 20 Americans playing AFL in 30 years from now I’ll have what you’re smoking.

There were about 17m Americans that played American Football in the last 12 months. That is the most popular sport in the country where some players earn more than the entire salary cap of an AFL club and the average salary for a starter is something like $4m/year.

So you think AFLX (or any AFL initiative) is going to attract more players in the US in 30 years time than their most popular current sport?

Do you really think they’d love Aussie Rules that much that they’d play it over a game that the average player earns 10 times as much (and still 4 times as much as the best AFL player)?

You needed 4 paragraph to say my percentages were wrong. Well done. You must have a very happy life.

You didn’t feel the need to address the main context of my post about growing the game Internationally? Don’t you enjoy footy and don’t you think non Australians will enjoy the game.

or your intent was just to take the piss. I think I know.

Are you kidding? A Zooper Dooper has flavour all the way through due to its long and thin shape...they're simple to eat. After two minutes of sucking your Sunny Boy or Razz was just a vast, flavourless, fist-sized block of ice - getting through those bad boys in the 20 minutes you had for recess was a minor miracle!!
#betterinmyday #kidsthesedays
I’d go a strawberry snip any day over a razz.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You needed 4 paragraph to say my percentages were wrong. Well done. You must have a very happy life.

You didn’t feel the need to address the main context of my post about growing the game Internationally? Don’t you enjoy footy and don’t you think non Australians will enjoy the game.

I was pointing out how farcical your statement was. You may find your arguments more persuasive if they have some small basis in reality.

Making ridiculous statements that have no chance of actually occurring mean that people just ignore what you have to say.

The AFL can find the money for this Mickey Mouse comp then add flashy LED lit goalposts..
Surely it's about time we got decent cameras on the goal posts at the top level..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The AFL are so tight they are using the same set of LED lights at each venue. They flew it from Adelaide to Melbourne this morning and will fly it to Sydney tomorrow!

Also, AFLX is so different from AFL, I don’t think that people that like AFL will necessarily like AFLX and vice versa.

Have you ever watched lingerie league and arena league NFL? Arena league is with padded walls in a small building. If they aren't bastardisation of their game I don't know what is.
Soccer doesn't need to because its already played everywhere but basketball has half court 3 on 3 tournaments and dunk comps, jeeps I've even seen it played on trampolines.

You do understand the lingerie league is played by women and the Arena League does not have an association with the NFL.

I was pointing out how farcical your statement was. You may find your arguments more persuasive if they have some small basis in reality.

Making ridiculous statements that have no chance of actually occurring mean that people just ignore what you have to say.

So trying to obtain 5% wouldn’t be obtainable over 30 years. Fair enough. Maybe I was being to optimistic.

In 2018, they predict 23.8* million 10 to 17 year olds will live in the United States Of America. This is the demographic they should be aiming at to converting to play AFLX.

*https://www.childstats.gov/americaschildren/tables/pop1.asp

Also, AFLX is so different from AFL, I don’t think that people that like AFL will necessarily like AFLX and vice versa.

What does it matter?

Kicking, marking, handballing and running with and without the ball are there not key attributes a player would need?

I get it, you don’t like it. I get it, you don’t like it. I’ll say it a 3rd time, I get it.

I’d go a strawberry snip any day over a razz.
Those are those milk versions of a sunny boy right? Wish they had those in Melbourne, used to be my favourite thing to get in Adelaide as a kid. Recall buying a box just to freeze when I got back to Melbourne to keep the good thing going just a little longer.

One thing I like is the last touch free against, don’t miss boundary throw in’s not one bit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Remove this Banner Ad

Back