Autopsy After a slow start a swarm of Swans crush Carlton by 52.

Remove this Banner Ad

We are all close to the coaches votes.
d9e10d19c2179f764561d072f9342300.jpg
68d9efb189ea98205b87b27f0d92505a.jpg

Sent from my SM-G990E using Tapatalk

0​
1​
2​
3​
4​
5​
6​
7​
8​
9​
10​
11​
Total
ByeBye
Isaac Heeney
9​
10​
9​
4​
9​
6​
7​
1​
8​
8​
71​
Chad Warner
2​
5​
1​
5​
10​
5​
10​
38​
Errol Gulden
5​
6​
9​
2​
5​
6​
1​
34​
Brodie Grundy
9​
9​
6​
24​
Nick Blakey
5​
9​
5​
19​
Oliver Florent
2​
5​
8​
15​
James Rowbottom
5​
4​
9​
Tom Papley
7​
7​
Dane Rampe
7​
7​
Will Hayward
5​
5​
James Jordon
3​
1​
4​
Justin McInerney
1​
1​
Logan McDonald
1​
1​

Gulden always among our best. Rowy too, though he doesn't always get the credit he deserves
Jordon's performance deserved more votes, a bit like shining a spotlight into the sun. He was brilliant but most of the votes were taken by even more brilliant teammates.

Great to see them all get around JJ when he created the first goal opportunity with a great spoil, then icing the cake with a great long goal. I cannot imagine how much Melbourne fans must be thinking "woops". This is not the guy they thought they were trading

He went at like 35% by foot. Got a lot but did nothing with it. I swear every clearance I saw him get, went to a Crow
He’s doing a Tom Mitchell. Loads of possessions, very few effective. But the media want him to win the Brownlow, so he will always get votes., sadly.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Swans Moments that Matter
James Rowbottom

The "Six Things We Learned...Swans Edition, HERE IT IS!"

1) Mature Swans fixing problems within the quarter

Swans started in dicey circumstances with Carlton kicking the first 4 goals within 14 minutes of the game and being dominated at the centre bounce. Previous editions of the Swans could have easily been blown apart or slowly reduce their deficits quarter by quarter leading to a slog fest of a game. But this year is different and the Swans are a much more mature and confident team as a whole. Not only did the Swans stabilised the damage which kick started their turn over game, the midfield group began their own dominance in stoppages
leading to the Swans scoring 3 goals within a space of 4 minutes. Whilst the Swans were still trailing at the end of the first quarter, the momentum had truly switched to Sydney showing how far the team has progressed.

2) Swans set the example in the 3rd (Premiership) quarter
Much has been spoken about the Swans' ball use, speed and turnover game; however, it was their stoppage work in the 3rd quarter that completely blew Carlton apart. Sydney finished with an impressive 51 - 13 points from stoppages with their centre bounces produces 31 points compared to Carlton's 4. The Swans had a 10 minute patch where they completely blitzed through the Carlton midfield which included a classy finish by Wicksy and most importantly (DIRECTED TO THE SHAMEFUL VIC MEDIA REPORTING) he got his high fives; beautiful.

3) Jordan clamps and smashes, Cunningham gets the last laugh
When Sam Walsh kicked a goal in the first quarter he made sure Cunningham (who was playing on him at the time) knew about it. Sadly for Walsh, James Jordan ensured that was his only highlight of the night, curtailing his influence whilst Jordan still played an important role in in the Swans attack and kicking a goal himself. That's three weeks in a row where Jordan has successfully negated the opposition player and blanked them out of the game; Jordan's versatility to play multiple positions makes him an A grade tagger and the best distributors or drivers of offence for any team in the competition better be aware of James Jordan! Also, Cunningham admitted in a post game interview he got lost in transition from defence and found himself up forward kicking a goal and that's just so beautiful to hear.

4) Swans midfield a class above
The Swans midfield is well known for its ability to score goals, their speed through general play, foot skills and frantic pressure; however, on Friday night, the midfield evolved once again through their contested work through stoppages with timely blocks for team mates which opened up space for others to charge through. By the mid point of the third quarter the Swans were not only dominating the Carlton line up, they were toying with them (i.e. Warner's run through the corridor taking cheeking peaks behind him and smiling - he had his own Lewis Jetta moment). Special mention for Rowbottom's efforts with 16 tackles overall and breaking through a congestion of Carlton players to kick a goal.

5) The rising stock value of Hayward and Florent
Both players were recruited in the 2016 draft and both are having an outstanding start to the season with Hayward re-discovering his goal kicking form (he is currently 20.7 for the year) and Florent showing incredible composure to dance his way through congestion from defence and providing plenty of run and carry during an attacking play. A special mention also for Florent - he is actually the most impactful interceptor amongst the Swans (better than Blakey) all according to champion data.

6) The Swans are the number 1 attack and defence team in the competition
When certain groups doubt Sydney's credentials for the premiership, its always about the forward line or the defence or basically anything they can use to say why we won't win...Well, the Swans have scored the most and have conceded the least points of any teams and these results have continued to improve after each round. Simple as that, nothing else to add - Why wouldn't you back the best team in the comp to win?

Swans Moments that Matter
James Rowbottom

the grundy tackle that earned a free kick was preceded by three rowbottom tackles that almost, and arguably could've, earned a free kick ... his multiple efforts are remarkable, i can't think of another player who does that so regularly, and all the tackles are effective in some way
his work, and that of jordon, allow heeney, gulden and warner to do what they do in attack
and he can still find the ball, and kick goals
he is irreplaceable ...

The "Six Things We Learned...Swans Edition, HERE IT IS!"

1) Mature Swans fixing problems within the quarter

Swans started in dicey circumstances with Carlton kicking the first 4 goals within 14 minutes of the game and being dominated at the centre bounce. Previous editions of the Swans could have easily been blown apart or slowly reduce their deficits quarter by quarter leading to a slog fest of a game. But this year is different and the Swans are a much more mature and confident team as a whole. Not only did the Swans stabilised the damage which kick started their turn over game, the midfield group began their own dominance in stoppages
leading to the Swans scoring 3 goals within a space of 4 minutes. Whilst the Swans were still trailing at the end of the first quarter, the momentum had truly switched to Sydney showing how far the team has progressed.

2) Swans set the example in the 3rd (Premiership) quarter
Much has been spoken about the Swans' ball use, speed and turnover game; however, it was their stoppage work in the 3rd quarter that completely blew Carlton apart. Sydney finished with an impressive 51 - 13 points from stoppages with their centre bounces produces 31 points compared to Carlton's 4. The Swans had a 10 minute patch where they completely blitzed through the Carlton midfield which included a classy finish by Wicksy and most importantly (DIRECTED TO THE SHAMEFUL VIC MEDIA REPORTING) he got his high fives; beautiful.

3) Jordan clamps and smashes, Cunningham gets the last laugh
When Sam Walsh kicked a goal in the first quarter he made sure Cunningham (who was playing on him at the time) knew about it. Sadly for Walsh, James Jordan ensured that was his only highlight of the night, curtailing his influence whilst Jordan still played an important role in in the Swans attack and kicking a goal himself. That's three weeks in a row where Jordan has successfully negated the opposition player and blanked them out of the game; Jordan's versatility to play multiple positions makes him an A grade tagger and the best distributors or drivers of offence for any team in the competition better be aware of James Jordan! Also, Cunningham admitted in a post game interview he got lost in transition from defence and found himself up forward kicking a goal and that's just so beautiful to hear.

4) Swans midfield a class above
The Swans midfield is well known for its ability to score goals, their speed through general play, foot skills and frantic pressure; however, on Friday night, the midfield evolved once again through their contested work through stoppages with timely blocks for team mates which opened up space for others to charge through. By the mid point of the third quarter the Swans were not only dominating the Carlton line up, they were toying with them (i.e. Warner's run through the corridor taking cheeking peaks behind him and smiling - he had his own Lewis Jetta moment). Special mention for Rowbottom's efforts with 16 tackles overall and breaking through a congestion of Carlton players to kick a goal.

5) The rising stock value of Hayward and Florent
Both players were recruited in the 2016 draft and both are having an outstanding start to the season with Hayward re-discovering his goal kicking form (he is currently 20.7 for the year) and Florent showing incredible composure to dance his way through congestion from defence and providing plenty of run and carry during an attacking play. A special mention also for Florent - he is actually the most impactful interceptor amongst the Swans (better than Blakey) all according to champion data.

6) The Swans are the number 1 attack and defence team in the competition

When certain groups doubt Sydney's credentials for the premiership, its always about the forward line or the defence or basically anything they can use to say why we won't win...Well, the Swans have scored the most and have conceded the least points of any teams and these results have continued to improve after each round. Simple as that, nothing else to add - Why wouldn't you back the best team in the comp to win?
Hard not to highlight the whole post.

the grundy tackle that earned a free kick was preceded by three rowbottom tackles that almost, and arguably could've, earned a free kick ... his multiple efforts are remarkable, i can't think of another player who does that so regularly, and all the tackles are effective in some way
his work, and that of jordon, allow heeney, gulden and warner to do what they do in attack
he is irreplaceable ...
I've literally never seen anyone like him.

he is irreplaceable ...
About the ony bad thing I can say about him is he’s BT’s nephew.

About the ony bad thing I can say about him is he’s BT’s nephew.
Something weird was going on on Friday. Watching the replay, I can hear Uncle Brian nearly say nice things about James. And not just once. A couple of times. Normally he speaks about his nephew's contribution in a flat monotone that conveys no admiration for what he brings.

Gulden always among our best. Rowy too, though he doesn't always get the credit he deserves
Jordon's performance deserved more votes, a bit like shining a spotlight into the sun. He was brilliant but most of the votes were taken by even more brilliant teammates.

Great to see them all get around JJ when he created the first goal opportunity with a great spoil, then icing the cake with a great long goal. I cannot imagine how much Melbourne fans must be thinking "woops". This is not the guy they thought they were trading
So our midfield got ALL the votes against supposedly the top clearance group in the comp.
😆😆😆😆

So our midfield got ALL the votes against supposedly the top clearance group in the comp.
😆😆😆😆
I think this is why I can't bring myself to be worried about whoever, or whatever, this week's threats are. Bontempelli & Richards, if everyone's judgments are correct.

We have just taken care of every possible match-winning threat that has stood between us and winning games this year.

Handled Max Gawn :whitecheck:
Handled Petracca & Oliver :whitecheck:
Handled May & Lever :whitecheck:
Handled Darcy Moore :whitecheck:
Handled Harley Reid :whitecheck:
Handled Rowell & Anderson :whitecheck:
Handled Sam Taylor & co :whitecheck:
Handled Josh Treacy :whitecheck:
Handled Luke Jackson :whitecheck:
Handled Curnow & McKay :whitecheck:
Handled Cripps & Walsh :whitecheck:

Obviously Bontempelli & Richards are a threat, as are Naughton, Darcy & Ugle-Hagan at the other end. But there's no reason we can't deal with them and overcome them like we have so many other would-be challenges this year.

If we turn up out of sorts and we fail, then it is what it is. But I have faith in what we can do if we bring our best.

the more i see clips and highlights from friday's game, the more i think mclean's performance has been overlooked ... or undervalued ...
he pops up all over field (i'm sure that's because of his ruck duties) as an outlet or link, and he has great skills for a big, burly feller
I had him in my POTY votes. Really liked his work.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back