Society/Culture Aged "care"

Remove this Banner Ad

Interesting piece on aged care here

The sooner the RC gets going the better and with wide ranging terms of reference. The current state of affairs is scandalous.

The thing is aged care homes are factory farms. It's where they send old racehorses before the knackers yard.

If they improve culture they lengthen lives and means more demand and more beds and more staff. We can't find suitable staff or suitable facilities as it is

The thing is aged care homes are factory farms. It's where they send old racehorses before the knackers yard.

If they improve culture they lengthen lives and means more demand and more beds and more staff. We can't find suitable staff or suitable facilities as it is

It all comes back to what value we collectively put as a society on quality of life for the aged.

It all comes back to what value we collectively put as a society on quality of life for the aged.

As a mob we have no values. People are not going to accept this. We've been told since invasion we are a civilised race and a modern humane culture. When we're anything but

Ophans the mentally ill the homeless the aged the disabled all of our vulnrable communities are tret the same way. The companies involved profiting while serious abuses happen.

Thing is ask most Old people and they would happily stay at home. In fact 995 would rather see out their days at home and never set foot in a home.

Now if that is not possible (loss of mental and physical function) who should take care of them? Now you may say family but if they are working/raising kids of their own 24-7 care may not be available. So do we have a medicare/public aged care program with carers paid like doctors or go Private Enterprise like we do now. (Also am not talking retirement villages but homes). So we either put a program in place or leave as is? I think where possible the choices of elders should be respected and if they want to live at home so be it.

Personally this is why I support voluntary euthanasia. If I get to the point I get feed or dress myself or remember where I am why shouldn't I have the right to call time? Why should I be kept needlessly alive suffering based on someone elses choices for me?

I wonder if you'll be so flippant when your time for the needle comes.
I have been in enough of them for work to make sure I have 30k to go to Europe when the time comes.

The not for profits are generally really caring, but the end of life is not pretty and this does not necessarily mean they can improve greatly.

Thing is ask most Old people and they would happily stay at home. In fact 995 would rather see out their days at home and never set foot in a home.

Now if that is not possible (loss of mental and physical function) who should take care of them? Now you may say family but if they are working/raising kids of their own 24-7 care may not be available. So do we have a medicare/public aged care program with carers paid like doctors or go Private Enterprise like we do now. (Also am not talking retirement villages but homes). So we either put a program in place or leave as is? I think where possible the choices of elders should be respected and if they want to live at home so be it.

Personally this is why I support voluntary euthanasia. If I get to the point I get feed or dress myself or remember where I am why shouldn't I have the right to call time? Why should I be kept needlessly alive suffering based on someone elses choices for me?
The govt funds care in homes up to 50k per year if you meet the criteria, they dont want you in homes because it will cost them more. Only about 15% of people end up in aged care.

My grandmother lived in a aged care village so it's outside the RC's remit as it stands but she tripped and broke her hip and sat there for two days and nights with the light on in her house and nobody thought to look in on her, I've got tears in my eyes now thinking about here sitting there. She died as a result of this, and it wasn't a death that was worthy of the life that she lived. I used to visit her once a week and had been concerned that she wasn't getting the care that a woman in her 90s needed to be getting but was fobbed off every time I brought it up with the people who managed the place.
Horrendous what happened to your grandmother
My mother worked for years in an RSL nursing home in Perth,she would come home upset on how they oldies were treated

If that was me in your spot I am not sure how I would have reacted.
Loudly probably

If families aren't taking care of a parent when reasonably able then there might be the answer. It can be extremely stressful and it can be difficult to deal with some of these patients and I'm sure most homes try there best. If that particular vision you are talking about is the one I witnessed I can see two possible sides. I believe the ladies in question were exonerated in that particular incident.
We as a family weren't willing to put a parent into a home except for one wk of respite and they were both happy to see the back of each other, it was never going to work. I'm just imagining mum times thirty, god bless her soul.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Aged care is just another way to make money. More about profit than care in many places. God help me if I ever need to enter a home.

The only way to fix the problem in aged care is to pay the workers reasonable wages. Unfortunately most homes pay their workers through government funding, so unless the government is willingnto put more $$$ into aged care nothing will improve. There needs to be patient/nurse ratios because at the moment they dont exist. There needs to be a cap on what managment can pay themselves, because both patients and carers are being abused in the name of profits

They earn too much cash, while the workers earn too little, many having to work a second job just to survive
It's incredibly difficult to make a profit out of aged care the only way to do it is too have no staff. Yes the wages for pcw's are appalling $20 to 25 per hour.

Trick is to move somewhere close to shops doctors and what you need before you get too old
Dont want to be trapped in the burbs without a car and you wont want to move when its too late.
I tried to get my dad to move years ago he aint going anywhere,I should have tried 10 years earlier but he wouldnt have thought he needed too.

I will definitely be moving to a bigger town to an apartment in the next 10 years or so.
No maintenance, no need for a car,security.
Then see what happens after that

Money is poor. The only way to make a decent living is to become a registered nurse. Good luck finding a job as an RN though
one respect.. not always is it about the 'noble nurse' though.. nurses can be s**t for brains as well. Not all medical officials are all saints..
this is what shits me.. that every nurse and every doctor is apparently the saint that we can't do without..

they are not always god.. I will probably have more to say bout this later... :)

Like anything money determines level of care. My wife’s grandmother loved the home she moved into for the last 6 months of her life, but she had a million in cash to put down as a deposit and could afford the expensive daily rate.

Those on a pension will be experiencing something completely different

that is a shameful way to look at it.. you either work in it or have no other relatives to care for.. absolutely abominable .. have you
a solution or have you nothing but being crap about it.

actually I guess you said it that you have no solution for it.. what are you still doing there anyway...? get out of the rut.. and get off the
rug.. god forsaken it s a hard enough level for those families let alone those who work there..

that is a shameful way to look at it.. you either work in it or have no other relatives to care for.. absolutely abominable .. have you
a solution or have you nothing but being crap about it.

actually I guess you said it that you have no solution for it.. what are you still doing there anyway...? get out of the rut.. and get off the
rug.. god forsaken it s a hard enough level for those families let alone those who work there..
Shameful is a reflection of you how you feel to the truth.

Demanding i come up with a solution when you don't accept the truth because it hurts to much. This feebleness is part of the problem.

Because we can't find suitable workers we are drugging dememtia sufferers with drugs that not only cause dementia but increase the likelihood of alternative death staggeringly. Drugs that cause some to act violently. Then those adminstering the drugs play the victim and demand more money citing the violence

Retiring in a developing nation like Indonesia makes more sense than Australia for most.

Affordable services, quality care and a culture that still has a soft spot for kids and the elderly.
Agree
Germans retire in Thailand into German government run facilities
I would consider Thailand or Malaysia

Remove this Banner Ad

Back