Not-a-cluey Alex Rance to leave the Tigers

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wait, hold on, are you sure about that? Sylvia moved to Freo as a free agent at the end of 2013 on a three-year contract. That means he was contracted for 2014, 2015 and 2016. The AFL has come out in the past and said Buddy's contract will still count towards the Swans' salary cap even if he retires. Shouldn't that mean Sylvia's contract will count towards Freo's cap in 2016?

There isn't anything I can say that will be considered a definitive answer.

The AFL said what they said about Buddy because the clubs were rightfully upset that a player was given a contract that extended beyond the expected career lifetime of a player in order to get over the value of the original club and they don't want 20 year deals being signed to get players across the line.

There isn't anything I can say that will be considered a definitive answer.

The AFL said what they said about Buddy because the clubs were rightfully upset that a player was given a contract that extended beyond the expected career lifetime of a player in order to get over the value of the original club and they don't want 20 year deals being signed to get players across the line.
Surely the same rules should apply though? If we're going to preach equalisation then we need to practice it too.

These are two very different circumstances but would be interested to hear the AFL's position on it.
We've got to be consistent. Most people would say if Sydney is silly enough to sign a free agent to a 9-year contract then they should be punished if it doesn't work out. Likewise, Freo shouldn't be immune from Sylvia's contract be included in their 2016 salary cap. Freo made the choice to sign him to a three-year deal so it should be upheld. Fair is fair.

Translated, stinking hot weather ("at least it's not humid") but nothing to do other than go to the beach, even during winter.
What is there to do that is so exciting in Melbourne, I'm an expat from Melbourne and the pokies is the only thing I can think of and they are as good a reason to not be there as any, the weather in Melbourne often feels much hotter than in Perth owing to the humidity and here it cools down at night in comparison to Melbourne, and as you mentioned this is a much better place to bring up a family and for those of us with a bit of the old arthritis.

Unless you are really into shopping?

We've got to be consistent. Most people would say if Sydney is silly enough to sign a free agent to a 9-year contract then they should be punished if it doesn't work out. Likewise, Freo shouldn't be immune from Sylvia's contract be included in their 2016 salary cap. Freo made the choice to sign him to a three-year deal so it should be upheld. Fair is fair.
How do contract re-negotiations influence your position on this? For example a player adding two years to their current deal with +$175,000 on each of those years in exchange for the next year (2016) having a reduction in pay of $200,000?

Religion is?

Of all the things invented by humans, religion is the worst.
Not if you were wanting to control the masses, justify your power as queen, keep your workers and soldiers going hard with the promise of reward after this life, keeping those same workers and soldiers families from revolting when they do die by promising they are in paradise.

Religion is the best manipulator invented. That people don't see it for what it is isn't the fault of the invention.

The Brisbane lifestyle will suit Rance perfectly. He can preach to God, and go to Bible study with no pressure from the media or members of the public pestering him. Getting 1m a year would also be tempting and reuniting with Leppo will be massive as well especially with our family first approach.

The Brisbane lifestyle will suit Rance perfectly. He can preach to God, and go to Bible study with no pressure from the media or members of the public pestering him. Getting 1m a year would also be tempting and reuniting with Leppo will be massive as well especially with our family first approach.

1) you don't preach to God, you preach about God

2) if Rance chooses his faith, it will mean leaving afl. He cannot be baptised while being a professional footballer (serena Williams is in the same boat)

I don't think they'll be finished they just won't be playing well enough for you guys to be a serious premiership contender in 2017.

That's like saying none of your current "super" midfield will be around when Brisbane finally push for another premiership.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wait, hold on, are you sure about that? Sylvia moved to Freo as a free agent at the end of 2013 on a three-year contract. That means he was contracted for 2014, 2015 and 2016. The AFL has come out in the past and said Buddy's contract will still count towards the Swans' salary cap even if he retires. Shouldn't that mean Sylvia's contract will count towards Freo's cap in 2016?

Quote from afl.com.au

"Sylvia had another year to run on a lucrative three-year deal. It is understood that the club has negotiated a partial payment to Sylvia in 2015 and no payments in 2016. It is understood, as per any other retirement, he will not be listed in 2016 and no payments will go towards the Dockers' salary cap."

Quote from afl.com.au

"Sylvia had another year to run on a lucrative three-year deal. It is understood that the club has negotiated a partial payment to Sylvia in 2015 and no payments in 2016. It is understood, as per any other retirement, he will not be listed in 2016 and no payments will go towards the Dockers' salary cap."
Except if your name is Buddy. I'm not sure the AFL is setting up a good precedent here. How long must a contract be for it to count towards the cap? Three years is okay, nine years isn't. What's the limit? Tom Boyd's contract with the Dogs was arguably a greater risk than Sydney took with Buddy. If the AFL really wants to fix this problem then they should just cap the amount of years a free agent can sign for another club like in the NBA.

Except if your name is Buddy. I'm not sure the AFL is setting up a good precedent here. How long must a contract be for it to count towards the cap? Three years is okay, nine years isn't. What's the limit? Tom Boyd's contract with the Dogs was arguably a greater risk than Sydney took with Buddy. If the AFL really wants to fix this problem then they should just cap the amount of years a free agent can sign for another club like in the NBA.

Maybe the contract terms were different to Buddys? So Sylvia may have had a 2 year contract plus 1 year option basis meeting certain parameters.

Not sure, but yeah, it's a weird one.

Maybe the contract terms were different to Buddys? So Sylvia may have had a 2 year contract plus 1 year option basis meeting certain parameters.

Not sure, but yeah, it's a weird one.
Possible. I know Dal Santo had an option for an extra year with St Kilda but chose to forgo that and became a free agent. It would become a lot less confusing if they would just release more information on contracts signed by players. Anyway, back on topic, do you think your club is a chance to land Rance?

Possible. I know Dal Santo had an option for an extra year with St Kilda but chose to forgo that and became a free agent. It would become a lot less confusing if they would just release more information on contracts signed by players. Anyway, back on topic, do you think your club is a chance to land Rance?

Nah, I don't. One thing Freo won't do is enter a bidding war either (unlike the past).

I think Richmond or bust but stranger things have happened.

That's like saying none of your current "super" midfield will be around when Brisbane finally push for another premiership.

There's an extremely good chance that will happen

So, a few things people:

1) Don't use Bay team names
2) Don't abuse other posters and don't evade the swear filter
3) If you have reported a post that violates the rules, why then make a big song and dance of quoting it anyway? Wait for us to deal with the report.

Swear I read somewhere, Freo are essentially paying out his contract so that he won't be on the books in 2016?

Something Sydney can't do with Buddy even if they wanted to.

Swear I read somewhere, Freo are essentially paying out his contract so that he won't be on the books in 2016?

Something Sydney can't do with Buddy even if they wanted to.
If you can find your source I'd be interested to read that. So you can essentially buy anyone's contract out if you wish to do so? That would essentially mean no club in the AFL is capped out out of signing a free agent.

There's sufficient evidence, such as continually failing to meet minimum fitness standards and storming off in the middle of last week's WAFL match with "concussion", to show that Sylvia had materially breached his contract.

This would explain why Fremantle was able to move quickly to get rid of him and only pay him for a portion of this year, and why payments contracted for 2016 would be automatically voided.

So after 5 rounds, the two teams showing the most interest in Rance are at opposite ends of the ladder. Is Freo a genuine option for Rance if he wishes to leave Richmond? The offer seems to be considerable amount of money from a top 4 team. Richmond are 11th on the ladder and don't appear to be any closer to a Premiership so if he's after success and money then Freo may be a realistic option for him.

Who knows what he's really thinking.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back