All ANZ games relocated to the SCG.

Remove this Banner Ad

I think I'm the one great defender of ANZ stadium as an AFL venue and it's probably because I haven't been there in years but I thought many of the issues - turf, sight lines, transport - could be largely improved and make it worth holding on to due to the capacity.

If it does get reconfigured to a rectangular stadium it will be a shame that the Swans attendances are capped at 48,000 when they once got over 70k out at ANZ and have the ability to easily get that number again for big finals.

Plus GWS will be capped at 25k unless they want to upset their fans by moving games to the SCG.

That said I'm not sure what the best way of keeping afloat as an AFL ground is and the Swans playing out there almost certainly wasn't the answer. GWS could host 3 games in the bigger stadium - v Sydney, v Coll, v Richmond etc but they probably aren't ready for that yet.

I guess the Swans will have sell outs which drives reserve seat memberships, which is great for their business but bad for casual fans and GWS can look to grow and do the same and if the AFL do get shut out of ANZ they can expand Spotless.

Fantastic news for the Swans and those of us who travel up to Sydney to watch footy

Great decision, good for the game in Sydney. Should have happened a few years ago. Should never have played another minute on the ground after this match:

436962-e115e098-2d44-11e5-b1cd-9e9b6c3a6bac.jpg

438516-ed06b332-2d44-11e5-b1cd-9e9b6c3a6bac.jpg

They've used the words - Worlds best practice, then stuff like this happens....

I think I'm the one great defender of ANZ stadium as an AFL venue and it's probably because I haven't been there in years but I thought many of the issues - turf, sight lines, transport - could be largely improved and make it worth holding on to due to the capacity.

If it does get reconfigured to a rectangular stadium it will be a shame that the Swans attendances are capped at 48,000 when they once got over 70k out at ANZ and have the ability to easily get that number again for big finals.

Plus GWS will be capped at 25k unless they want to upset their fans by moving games to the SCG.

That said I'm not sure what the best way of keeping afloat as an AFL ground is and the Swans playing out there almost certainly wasn't the answer. GWS could host 3 games in the bigger stadium - v Sydney, v Coll, v Richmond etc but they probably aren't ready for that yet.

I guess the Swans will have sell outs which drives reserve seat memberships, which is great for their business but bad for casual fans and GWS can look to grow and do the same and if the AFL do get shut out of ANZ they can expand Spotless.
With you on this. I love the SCG, but I never got the hatred for Homebush.

Of course it felt empty if only 27K turned up. It holds 80K+!

But once you got past about 40K the atmosphere was fantastic, I thought. Never had trouble with sightlines, transport for me (coming from the Blue Mountains) was excellent... you could park at one of the parking stations, or off site, or take a train pretty much to the stadium entrance. (OK, trains). Over half of Sydney's population lives west of Parramatta, which itself is west of Homebush, so it was always utter BS to say it was in the "middle of nowhere". (Bloody eastern suburbs snobs. I lived in the East for 20 years and i still feel kinda soiled.)

That aside, you make some good points about the challenges facing the AFL and both Sydney teams down the track.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The right decision.

Bit out of the blue though, Swans just deciding like that to kill ties. Which begs the question, why couldn't it have been done sooner?

Its unheard of for all the games to be moved this late must of been some big compensation to ANZ.

I'm still shocked this happened considering the season is a few weeks away from starting.

Total armpit of a stadium, good move by the Swans.

Given the generally limited crowd-drawing capacity of NRL and the cities tendency to only turn up to occasional major sporting events, I wonder if Stadium Australia will be torn down in the next decade?

Aside from the desolate location and poor atmosphere, the biggest problem with ANZ is that the playing area is tiny. At least moving back to the SCG should open up some more space for spreading the ball.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back