Amazing coincidences in football

Remove this Banner Ad

Politely suggest you review the odds provided on a lotto ticket and rethink your assertion.
If you asked someone to pick a crowd number in advance, and then that crowd number was achieved twice in seven rounds, the odds on that would be astronomical.

But knowing that crowds will be somewhere between 15,000 and 50,000 based on history and ground capacity, then the odds of some random crowd number occurring twice in seven rounds is something more like 7 in 35,000 (or slightly more likely if there were multiple games at Marvel in some rounds).

Still very unlikely, but not Tattslotto 1st division unlikely I agree.

If you asked someone to pick a crowd number in advance, and then that crowd number was achieved twice in seven rounds, the odds on that would be astronomical.

But knowing that crowds will be somewhere between 15,000 and 50,000 based on history and ground capacity, then the odds of some random crowd number occurring twice in seven rounds is something more like 7 in 35,000 (or slightly more likely if there were multiple games at Marvel in some rounds).

Still very unlikely, but not Tattslotto 1st division unlikely I agree.
Not true - the chances are much higher.

With 13 games, the chances of 2 identical crowds (assuming you're right about all crowds being between 15,000 and 50,000) is less than 1 in 500.

Once you get to 221 games, the odds of any 2 games having the same crowd are better than 50/50.

Not true - the chances are much higher.

With 13 games, the chances of 2 identical crowds (assuming you're right about all crowds being between 15,000 and 50,000) is less than 1 in 500.

Once you get to 221 games, the odds of any 2 games having the same crowd are better than 50/50.
You’re right, because it’s compounding opportunities to have the same crowd number increasing the possibilities of subsequent games having the same crowd as a prior gameal, whereas I had it as each instance effectively being the same as the first game’s crowd number.

It’s still much more likely to achieve than winning first division tattslotto either way, but 1 in 500 is still highly coincidental and unlikely to occur.

Jye Amiss was the first key forward drafted for Freo in the top 10 since Matthew Pavlich 1999

Like Pavlich, Amiss kicked his first goal from his first kick in his debut game.

Both the AFL and NRL today had a Sydney vs. Gold Coast game played in Sydney.

The Sydney Swans slipped up at home and were upset by the Gold Coast Suns, but their avian cousins the Sydney Roosters had no such problems with their Gold Coast opponents, thrashing the Titans 44-16 in a one-sided game.

Both the AFL and NRL today had a Sydney vs. Gold Coast game played in Sydney.

The Sydney Swans slipped up at home and were upset by the Gold Coast Suns, but their avian cousins the Sydney Roosters had no such problems with their Gold Coast opponents, thrashing the Titans 44-16 in a one-sided game.
Might be time to close this thread.

Shark definitely jumped.

Richmond and May 18 elections do match

1974 election was on May 18, Richmond win flag
2019 election was on May 18, Richmond win flag

In both circumstances the sitting government of the day was returned with a slim majority

In a midterm election year since the turn of the 21st century, the Eagles and the Democrats have a trend

2006 - Dems win control, Eagles win flag
2010 - Dems lose control, Eagles win spoon
2018 - Dems win control, Eagles win flag
2022 - Dems likely to lose control, Eagles likely to win spoon

(Log in to remove this ad.)

all those are in the year of the ox as well. Maybe they should go with the name Western Bulls in 2033 to appease the holy cow.
Given that we need to make top 4 to have the chance of playing in those games, I see no issue with the year of the Ox.
If we keep making the pointy end we will win our share.

Ben Brown made his AFL debut for North Melbourne against Melbourne in 2014, and his debut for the Demons last year ironically came against his former side North Melbourne. Tomorrow, he is set to achieve another milestone, his 150th game, against... you guessed it, North Melbourne.

Whenever the Sydney Swans play on a Friday night before a Federal election and loses, the sitting government of the day lose the election

2013 Federal
Swans played on a Friday night in a Qualifying Final, lost to Hawthorn, Labor loses power

2022 Federal
Swans played on a Friday night in Round 10, lost to Carlton, Liberals loses power

Whenever the Sydney Swans play on a Friday night before a Federal election and loses, the sitting government of the day lose the election

2013 Federal
Swans played on a Friday night in a Qualifying Final, lost to Hawthorn, Labor loses power

2022 Federal
Swans played on a Friday night in Round 10, lost to Carlton, Liberals loses power
Australia's "Redskins Rule"

In round 1 this season Adelaide lost to Fremantle by 1 point for the fourth time. I believe Fremantle are the only team ever to have four 1 point wins against a particular club.

I was wondering why I was getting de ja vu after Collingwood's 11.13-79 to 11.9-75 victory over Carlton on the weekend.

This scoreline 11.13-79 to 11.9-75 came up three times in 2019, by GWS over Geelong in Round 4, by Fremantle over Collingwood in Round 11 and by Carlton over Fremantle in Round 15.

I was wondering why I was getting de ja vu after Collingwood's 11.13-79 to 11.9-75 victory over Carlton on the weekend.

This scoreline 11.13-79 to 11.9-75 came up three times in 2019, by GWS over Geelong in Round 4, by Fremantle over Collingwood in Round 11 and by Carlton over Fremantle in Round 15.
Also the 2018 Grand Final ended with the same scoreline with West Coast winning

Remove this Banner Ad

Back