Society & Culture Amazon expanding in Aus.

Remove this Banner Ad

ChappyUK

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts BeanCoiNFT Investor Song Contest Winner - 5+ Rounds Podcaster Pokemon is Life Pantskyle
Sep 12, 2011
London
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Arsenal, QPR.
Living in the UK I am used to Amazon being more than an online bookstore.

There is almost nothing you can't buy through Amazon here and the majority is delivered within the day. It is huge.

As much as I love it there is also the downside. There's been many docos here on the job of Pickers at places like Amazon, Boohoo and many others. People are on a three strikes and out policy if they dont meet targets. This can mean running up to 20km a day fetching items for delivery. One company Argos just announced an Order by 6pm get it that day guarantee. Great in theory but would hate to know the stress this pits pickers and drivers under.

Just wondering what people's thought were on it opening in Aus.

Will you use it?
What do you think it will do for retail in Aus?
Will it increase competition and lower prices?
Do you think it's fair on workers?

Interested in your thoughts.

Think it could make a huge impact if it can price its items at under market prices like it seems to do overseas and at quick delivery.

It is coming soon, hopefully they actually get it here quick.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Should be good. Competition doesn't hurt and it makes retailers improve their businesses - make them easier and quicker to get to, get around and get out.

Australia has a big culture of shopping as a social outing so I doubt we'll see much change in traditional retail for quite a while.

On the labour side Australia has very strict laws so doubt they'll be able to do things that other companies can't.

They are working on the driver side at least. I know they've been testing drone delivery in Canada and UK.
Can't even fly your drone to get a bunnings snag in this Country, doubt they'll let hundreds of the things do deliveries.

I will use it, as a **** you to Gerry the campaigner
He's hilarious isn't he?

Acts like his businesses are entitled to Australian customers and then goes on rants anytime a competitor wants to enter the market. How about adapting to the market you campaigner and changing the way your businesses go about things?

Walk into a Harvey Norman and they're literally the same as they were in 2002.

Can't even fly your drone to get a bunnings snag in this Country, doubt they'll let hundreds of the things do deliveries.
I like going to Bunnings.

* the Amazon. Piranhas can EAD.

He's hilarious isn't he?

Acts like his businesses are entitled to Australian customers and then goes on rants anytime a competitor wants to enter the market. How about adapting to the market you campaigner and changing the way your businesses go about things?

Gerry Harvey is a hypocrite.

He's worth $1.5b because he built a retail empire that has spent the last 3 decades gobbling up smaller competitors.

But he cares about Aussie jobs. :rolleyes:

Gerry Harvey is a hypocrite.

He's worth $1.5b because he built a retail empire that has spent the last 3 decades gobbling up smaller competitors.

But he cares about Aussie jobs. :rolleyes:
Dog eat dog.

He's hilarious isn't he?

Obviously has a working business model.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back