Recommitted Andrew Gaff [re-signed]

Remove this Banner Ad

Not sure I remember saying that? Then again maybe I did, I can’t be bothered reading my old posts to find out, but to be honest I don’t care what you blokes end up getting for him, as long as we wouldn’t have to pay for it.

I thought Rockliff was very close to getting Brisbane band one with his $700k contract? $1m seems a bit extreme, I was think more like 800k.

It was a dig at previous posters who seem to believe that if Gaff wants to leave as a FA he will just leave and we'll take pick 19 and be happy,

Yeah it's a magic formula so who really knows. If $700k is close for a 27 year old then maybe it gets it done for a 26 year old. Maybe it will take $750k, $800k, $1.5m - who knows.

The only way Gaff gets $1m/year is if it's a short term contract designed to maximise FA compo. If a player leaves, their original club doesn't really care how much they get paid - only what they get in return. No one is going to offer Gaff $1m a year over a 5 or 6 year deal. That's nuts.

I'm hearing Abasi Moderator was right all along. Gaff for Hartung. It's only the club and year that were off.
Abasi is a known troll, liar and penis.

To be honest, I’d prefer to just pay him whatever it takes to get West Coast band one compo for him.

There is only so long we can front load contracts and I’d be much happier to get Gaff while keeping our first round pick. I can’t see the cap being a problem.

It’s a big contract for someone like Gaff, but I’m happy to admit St Kilda isn’t a big club and it’s going to take a big contract to get someone at the moment.
Yeah I would be much more loathe to pay our first this year than to pay him extra to get WCE first round compo.

If we had to trade for someone for the wing I would almost certainly prefer to pay the lesser price for the quicker Aaron Hall (who is also OOC), as it's that extra speed and probably extra disposals in the front half of the ground that I feel we need most.

I suspect that Gaff's mum still cuts his hair. Is that likely to affect his value as a free agent?
How’s her eyesight?
Gaff has the s**t Oasis brothers hairstyle
Top 5 in his team (way better than Hurn), but seems better when compared to his very average midfield team mates
In a team like Geelong or Sydney for example he’d probably be the 6th best mid
& for those teams with lesser midfield depth, they’d want more of a leader I’d think
So early 2nd round or late 1st rounder is about par

How’s her eyesight?
Top 5 in his team (way better than Hurn), but seems better when compared to his very average midfield team mates
In a team like Geelong or Sydney for example he’d probably be the 6th best mid
& for those teams with lesser midfield depth, they’d want more of a leader I’d think

If Gaff has a better year than 2017 and can stay injury free band 1 contract.

If he struggles band 2 contract.

Eagles will match any band 2 contract to force a trade. They will get better than pick 19 + for Gaff.

Yeah I would be much more loathe to pay our first this year than to pay him extra to get WCE first round compo.

If we had to trade for someone for the wing I would almost certainly prefer to pay the lesser price for the quicker Aaron Hall (who is also OOC), as it's that extra speed and probably extra disposals in the front half of the ground that I feel we need most.

It's a bit of a no brainer given you can apparently buy FAs with 2 year contracts under the AFL's magic formula. Sign Gaff for $2m over 2 years then re-sign him after that for whatever you want that is nobody's business.

How’s her eyesight?
Shuey, Yeo, Kennedy, Naitanui, McGovern would be WC's top five, in whatever order.

Par for what? A trade or FA compensation?

If Gaff was merely out of contract and requested a trade, WC would surely be getting more than an early second-rounder for him.

And if the offer for Gaff as a FA doesn't trigger Band 1 compensation, WC should match it.

Shuey, Yeo, Kennedy, Naitanui, McGovern would be WC's top five, in whatever order.

Par for what? A trade or FA compensation?

If Gaff was merely out of contract and requested a trade, WC would surely be getting more than an early second-rounder for him.

And if the offer for Gaff as a FA doesn't trigger Band 1 compensation, WC should match it.

Whats are the numbers that would be attached to Gaff?
I think it has to get close 1M to get band 1 now .. and if WC got end of R1 for him in a strong draft year .. it would be a very big call to match a 2 year contract and then he walks in 2 years time ... and who knows what the draft is like that year. An end R1 this year could almost be as good as top 10 some years.

Well for the first time in his career Gaff topped the game in contested possessions with 13.:thumbsu:

Simpson playing him on ball more. He's no midfield bull but he certainly has put on some beef and isnt afraid to have a crack and win his own ball.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Whats are the numbers that would be attached to Gaff?
I think it has to get close 1M to get band 1 now .. and if WC got end of R1 for him in a strong draft year .. it would be a very big call to match a 2 year contract and then he walks in 2 years time ... and who knows what the draft is like that year. An end R1 this year could almost be as good as top 10 some years.

The word coming out is the top 10 are really good and then the next 20 are good but even.

Gaff is worth more than a mid first rounder compo, say pick 11/12. Who knows what you will get, with Gaff you have exposed form and durability.

The word coming out is the top 10 are really good and then the next 20 are good but even.

Gaff is worth more than a mid first rounder compo, say pick 11/12. Who knows what you will get, with Gaff you have exposed form and durability.

The principle of FA is partial comp..not full comp. The better player..the more short changed you are. You get anything first round this year..which allows you a very early pick at some WA talent ...take it and run.

The principle of FA is partial comp..not full comp. The better player..the more short changed you are. You get anything first round this year..which allows you a very early pick at some WA talent ...take it and run.

The principle of being a RFA is a club can match the bid and either the player stays or a trade is negotiated.

As a Cats supporter you should know that!

You can match... (crows did a deal and didn't match. )... but the Ablett last 12 months at gc shows the danger of players that not commited 100 percent.

Players with integrity dont shaft their clubs even when leaving. Judd and Dangerfield are two. Gaff has integrity and the Eagles are renound to be fair traders.

If.....and it is still an if Gaff wants to move Im sure a compromise will be found if needed.

I the Eagles finish bottom 3 and the compo pick is a top 5 pick then that should be fine but pick 11 or 12 is ify!

Well for the first time in his career Gaff topped the game in contested possessions with 13.:thumbsu:

Simpson playing him on ball more. He's no midfield bull but he certainly has put on some beef and isnt afraid to have a crack and win his own ball.
Against the worst performing team in it atm. Nothing to hang your hat on . Lets wait until he does it playing against the leagues top midfields of port ,gws , geelong,freo and richmond
Worth a mid first rounder as compo at best

I've never really seen the contested side being that much of an issue with Gaff. Some players are just better served playing on the outside, there's no shame in that.

My issue has always been that for his elite running ability, and the volume of ball (particularly uncontested ball) he gets, and the kicking skills he has, he just doesn't seem to have enough "hurt factor". Over the last three seasons (2015-2017), his numbers have been as follows:

71 of a possible 72 games
88.93% gametime
29.69 disposals per game
72.44% disposal efficiency
16.94% turnover ratio
24.72% contested possessions
1.32 kick-to-handball ratio
15.13 metres per disposal
3.83 inside 50s per game
0.34 goals per game
0.48 goal assists per game
6.18 score involvements per game

I would expect with his tools and ball-winning ability, for him to be more of a playmaker and do some more damage on the scoreboard. To me that's the "next step" that he can and hopefully will take, over and above winning more contested ball.

Last edited:
Players with integrity dont shaft their clubs even when leaving. Judd and Dangerfield are two. Gaff has integrity and the Eagles are renound to be fair traders.

If.....and it is still an if Gaff wants to move Im sure a compromise will be found if needed.

I the Eagles finish bottom 3 and the compo pick is a top 5 pick then that should be fine but pick 11 or 12 is ify!

Players who feel they earned FA and have that FA stiffled may feel differently about the club that impedes their movement . On the other hand maybe it doesn't worry him.. and as long as he gets the money he wants he will stay at GC for another two years.
FA is still in its infancy in the afl. It would change the situation if clubs had the ability to push trade ..and clubs did not get comp for UFA. To me the whole concept of UFA is a discriminatory act. I wonder if it would stand up in court.

I've never really seen the contested side being that much of an issue with Gaff. Some players are just better served playing on the outside, there's no shame in that.

My issue has always been that for his elite running ability, and the volume of ball (particularly uncontested ball) he gets, and the kicking skills he has, he just doesn't seem to have enough "hurt factor". Over the last three seasons (2015-2017), his numbers have been as follows:

71 of a possible 72 games
88.93% gametime
29.69 disposals per game
72.44% disposal efficiency
16.94% turnover ratio
24.72% contested possessions
1.32 kick-to-handball ratio
15.13 metres per disposal
3.83 inside 50s per game
0.34 goals per game
0.48 goal assists per game
6.18 score involvements per game

I would expect with his tools and ball-winning ability, for him to be more of a playmaker and do some more damage on the scoreboard. To me that's the "next step" that he can and hopefully will take, over and above winning more contested ball.
His kicking was pretty good yesterday.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back