Recommitted Andrew Gaff [re-signed]

Remove this Banner Ad

Always a strange and odd time of the year when trade week looms.

We get the plethora of supporters following with interest, the possible movement on a specific player, that has been linked to their beloved Club and whilst obviously interested in the outcome, all they offer is the comment that said player is s**t.

Begs the question in the first place, if the player is so s**t why would you care about following the thread and furthermore bother posting on it. :rolleyes:

I'd be surprised If he didn't get an offer around that mark.
From where?

Given the 20% increase in the salary cap, that's the equivalent of a contract around probably the $650K PA mark as of a year or two ago, so I don't see why a club or three wouldn't offer him that.
For example?

According to this breakdown, there were 29 players who earned 800k in 2017. Even allowing for increase in cap space - let's assume the number of players on 800k doubles from 29 to 58 (which would be massive) - an 800k salary would basically put a player in a club's top three best-paid players. How many clubs would be willing to but Gaff in that bracket?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Gaff will get offers of at least 800k, no doubt about that.

St Kilda, North, Carlton and Collingwood will be all willing to offer that amount.
Again, 800k would put a player into the top three earners at most (probably all) clubs. Is he really worth that?

You're probably right about North, though. Who else is eating up their cash?

Would these clubs be willing to make Gaff one of their top three best-paid players?

I find it hard to grasp, to be honest.
Again though, $800K PA is the equivalent of around $665K PA under the salary caps of 12 months ago+, and that's not a huge deal to extract someone of AA quality from another club (where you generally have to pay them more than you would if you drafted them yourself) who is in their prime.

It will probably just take a bit of time to get used to numbers being 20% higher than in previous years.

If a club felt in particular that they could get him through FA for that amount and wouldn't have to trade for him they would be even more willing to pay him that much.

Again, 800k would put a player into the top three earners at most (probably all) clubs. Is he really worth that?

You're probably right about North, though. Who else is eating up their cash?
After Goldstein finishes up this year, probably Tarrant, followed by Higgins and Brown. They are on decent money. North will throw money at Gaff, not sure about 800k, but definitely a possibility. Lynch will be a target, as will Kelly in two years.

If it comes down to paying him 600k and giving up a 1st rounder or paying him 800k and paying nothing you'd think you'd go with the latter. Especially when it can be for 2 years.

Again though, $800K PA is the equivalent of around $665K PA under the salary caps of 12 months ago+, and that's not a huge deal to extract someone of AA quality from another club (where you generally have to pay them more than you would if you drafted them yourself) who is in their prime.

It will probably just take a bit of time to get used to numbers being 20% higher than in previous years.

If a club felt in particular that they could get him through FA for that amount and wouldn't have to trade for him they would be even more willing to pay him that much.
Yeah, but even allowing for that increase, how many players per club will be on 800k? It's all very well to talk about the extra cap but 800k will still make a player one of the three best-paid players at nearly every club. I just question if Gaff is truly in that bracket.

Yeah, but even allowing for that increase, how many players per club will be on 800k? It's all very well to talk about the extra cap but 800k will still make a player one of the three best-paid players at nearly every club. I just question if Gaff is truly in that bracket.
He's possibly not going to be in your top 3, but if you're paying your top 3 around that amount, or slightly less (because they're "home grown" and don't have to be overpaid in order to get them), then I don't think it would be a big deal to pay someone who has made an AA team and is in their prime slightly more than one, two, or all 3 of them, if it gets them across the line and to your club.

Especially if they happen to fill a real structural need, and especially if you have cap space to burn, and it means you can get them through FA, and don't have to trade for them.

He's possibly not going to be in your top 3, but if you're paying your top 3 around that amount, or slightly less (because they're "home grown" and don't have to be overpaid in order to get them), then I don't think it would be a big deal to pay someone who has made an AA team and is in their prime slightly more than one, two, or all 3 of them, if it gets them across the line and to your club.

Especially if they happen to fill a real structural need, and especially if you have cap space to burn, and it means you can get them through FA, and don't have to trade for them.
I guess I have my doubts because he wouldn't be top five at WC. And WC are pretty average. If he can get 800k, he should take it.

No, probably 550-700k range, Brown, maybe a tad more with a new contract.
Would North be happy to make Gaff their second highest-paid player? Perhaps.

Where has this figure come from?
In my estimation, that's the kind of figure that might test WC's resolve to keep him. And it's the kind of money that would put Gaff in the top three at most clubs.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back