Toast Andrew Lovett Appreciation Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Could've stuffed us around and gone into the PSD. Was always a possibility.

But that's not really anything we can thank him for, the club were the ones who had to find the suitable trade. What if we weren't lucky enough to find a trade that we felt was fair? Then we either would have had to take something that is unsuitable, and get screwed over, or watch him go into the PSD.

Forgive me if I'm not willing to take a happy stroll down memory lane. Good riddance.

What St Kilda needed. Hopefully Houli and Zaka gets a run in the middle next year. Dempesy to wear number 13 next year it's a must

But that's not really anything we can thank him for, the club were the ones who had to find the suitable trade. What if we weren't lucky enough to find a trade that we felt was fair? Then we either would have had to take something that is unsuitable, and get screwed over, or watch him go into the PSD.

Forgive me if I'm not willing to take a happy stroll down memory lane. Good riddance.

Yeah have to agree.

Lovett is a natural footballer blessed with talent and one of the most exciting players we have had at the club for such a long time.

Pity he's such a selfish and egotistical twat that he has yet to reach the heights he is capable of - certainly he never did at Essendon - bar a few flashes of brillance.

Hopefully St Kilda can knock some sense in him and make him realise his potential.

I'll definetly miss the excitement but the fact that he has basically walked out on us doesn;t sit easy with me.

Yeah have to agree.

Lovett is a natural footballer blessed with talent and one of the most exciting players we have had at the club for such a long time.

Pity he's such a selfish and egotistical twat that he has yet to reach the heights he is capable of - certainly he never did at Essendon - bar a few flashes of brillance.

Hopefully St Kilda can knock some sense in him and make him realise his potential.

I'll definetly miss the excitement but the fact that he has basically walked out on us doesn;t sit easy with me.

Hang on a second. Since when has this been fact? Only the indubitably bitter Essendon board, and coaching staff, have ever suggested that he walked out; quite the reverse has been stated by both Lovett and his management.

I'm not saying he didn't walk out, but to be stating that as absolute fact is incredible.

Secondly, this is a Lovett appreciation thread. I, along with most other posters on this board, can actually see the positives of the situation, and the extent of service Andrew has provided to the club. Without him this year, we would not have made finals.

Despite obvious flaws, Lovett was a valued player at our club and will be valuable to St. Kilda. All the best to him.

But that's not really anything we can thank him for, the club were the ones who had to find the suitable trade. What if we weren't lucky enough to find a trade that we felt was fair?

He could've stayed, or you never know; he could have also had a talk to other clubs and said; 'If Essendon don't get decent compensation, I'm going no-where.'

Who knows? Lets not make him out to be a complete idiot here without knowing the facts.

Hang on a second. Since when has this been fact? Only the indubitably bitter Essendon board, and coaching staff, have ever suggested that he walked out; quite the reverse has been stated by both Lovett and his management.

I'm not saying he didn't walk out, but to be stating that as absolute fact is incredible.

Secondly, this is a Lovett appreciation thread. I, along with most other posters on this board, can actually see the positives of the situation, and the extent of service Andrew has provided to the club. Without him this year, we would not have made finals.

Despite obvious flaws, Lovett was a valued player at our club and will be valuable to St. Kilda. All the best to him.

Agree 100%. Was not Lovett's decision alone.
Frankly disappointed he's gone, great to watch. Still, thought the club did well to get pick #16. Club did even better by resisting Maguire and Ball.

Good luck to Lovett, reckon he'll be a good fit at St Kilda.

Was my favourite player for a number of years, but he could be very frustrating.:thumbsdown:
Not happy that he wanted to leave, but at least we have a chance to draft somone who can make our team better.:thumbsu:
I reckon zaha can fill his role nicely.:thumbsu:
Hope he does well at the saints.:thumbsu:
Thankfully he didnt go to carltank, so now he can terrorise them in a Saints jumper...:thumbsu::thumbsu:
Will be interesting to see if he gets his act together under Ross Lyon......if he does, will it look like knights failed in this endeavour?

I can't say I'm that bitter really. Makes it easy to cop as I had made peace with the fact we were going to trade him last year and I was surprised we didn't get a trade though.

When he was on, he was amazing to watch. Just a shame it wasn't that consistent but atleast he carved up the Blues every year without fail.

Mmmmm why is everyone being so lovey-dovey? (Excuse the pun). The guy walked out on us.........and not to go home, not to go play with his brother or whatever, not because he is struggling for opportunities.....he just walked out. He was happy to go ANY club other than the red and black. Pretty big slap in the face if you ask me considering we kept giving him chances despite all his misdemeanors. Im happy we got compensation for him and i'm not the type to boo ex-players at games and stuff but I sure as s**t aren't hoping to see a Norm Smith around his neck next year. Im hoping to see that around Jobe Watson's neck while Lovett is sitting around wondering why he left us. What is wrong with you guys?

He walked out like Luke Ball !

Not surprising !

Both players were offered one year contarcts by their respective clubs.

Without him this year, we would not have made finals.

How is this so? Yes he showed flashes of brillance throughout the year but you can hardly say he won any games for us of his own boot.

As for him walking out - this has been widely reported.

He was offered a 2 year deal at Essendon which involved other behavioural conditions, which he was not happy with. Along with this he was upset about being put up for trade last year.

Why were Essendon so concerned about Lovett being taken in the PSD if this was not fact?

He could just switch on and open up a quarter like few I've seen. That I'll sorely miss.

The big matches, he would just ignite. The vid posted above really captured it well - had a bit of a knot in the guts watching that and knowing we'll not see him doing that in the R&B again.

All the best in the future Lovey!

BTW - Why all the lovey-dovey? It's an appreciation thread - what did you expect when you clicked the link?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I will miss him. I think without him in the side we would of lost two-three more games this year.
I still believe he walked out on the club. He had problems in the past so he had to prove himself. If he took a one year deal and then made AA next year he could of then easily got a two year extention with the club for a fair bit of $$. I feel as through he took the easy way out.
That being said, Essendon have done reasonably well with this trade. We have a late first round pick so hopefully we can add another depth player to our side next year. Andrew may just be the thing the Saints need next year. Good luck to him.

I will miss him greatly. He could be simply fantastic in the true sense of the word. Gave me many moments of footy enjoyment.

And before anyone knocks him for "walking out on the club", let's find out the real reason why he left first. AS several posted above, this is the Andrew Lovett Appreciation thread, so let's keep it that way. Those who are bitter are free to start another thread after they confirm all the reasons (and I don't mean bloody rumors) why Andrew left Essendon. OK?!! And I suggest you start it in the St Kilda Board!!

Sad to see him go... can see him being very dangerous in the Saints midfield next year if he is in the right state of mind...
One of my fav players over the past few seasons...exciting run... great goals... but also had the habit of going missing...
Hope he does well... just not against us... happy with pick 16:thumbsu:

Will miss you lots Andy, loved watchin your stream through the middle of the G and ram home goals against Collingwood Richmond and Carlton. All the best fella!

How is this so? Yes he showed flashes of brillance throughout the year but you can hardly say he won any games for us of his own boot.

As for him walking out - this has been widely reported.

He was offered a 2 year deal at Essendon which involved other behavioural conditions, which he was not happy with. Along with this he was upset about being put up for trade last year.

Why were Essendon so concerned about Lovett being taken in the PSD if this was not fact?

Considering that we were in the finals off 10 and a half wins, I feel very comfortable in saying that without Lovett's impact on at least 3 games, we wouldn't have won. Anzac day, when everyone else looked completely buggered whilst he continued to break the lines from half back, was indicative of this.

It has been widely reported, without any factuality other than utterances from the board or coaching staff- as I previously stated. Everything I have read from Lovett has been very thankful of the club for its confidence in him, but has sounded a lot more like he has been pushed out.

Unless you are Lovett himself, or perhaps Knights and his co-staff, then you simply cannot make the assumption of what Lovett was happy with. Your statement would be validated if Lovett had actually said he was unhappy with the deal offered, or wanted money, but the fact is that he hasn't.

Try reading The Age's article today. He categorically denies seeking an offer of $500,000 from Essendon- despite the wide belief that money was behind his departure. Settling for around $300,000 would further emphasise this notion.

Again, I am not saying I know exactly what happened, but it does seem very premature to be concluding that Lovett undoubtedly walked out on the club. You don't know this for a fact, so don't make the assumption- especially on an appreciation thread.

Considering that we were in the finals off 10 and a half wins, I feel very comfortable in saying that without Lovett's impact on at least 3 games, we wouldn't have won. Anzac day, when everyone else looked completely buggered whilst he continued to break the lines from half back, was indicative of this.

It has been widely reported, without any factuality other than utterances from the board or coaching staff- as I previously stated. Everything I have read from Lovett has been very thankful of the club for its confidence in him, but has sounded a lot more like he has been pushed out.

Unless you are Lovett himself, or perhaps Knights and his co-staff, then you simply cannot make the assumption of what Lovett was happy with. Your statement would be validated if Lovett had actually said he was unhappy with the deal offered, or wanted money, but the fact is that he hasn't.

Try reading The Age's article today. He categorically denies seeking an offer of $500,000 from Essendon- despite the wide belief that money was behind his departure. Settling for around $300,000 would further emphasise this notion.

Again, I am not saying I know exactly what happened, but it does seem very premature to be concluding that Lovett undoubtedly walked out on the club. You don't know this for a fact, so don't make the assumption- especially on an appreciation thread.

Firstly I have never suggested Lovett walked out for financial reasons.
There was probably alot of reasons why he asked to be traded - I understand he was unhappy about being constantly under the microscope for behavioural issues and the fact that he was put up for trade last year.

Honestly do you really think that Knights or Essendon would push Lovett out of the club when he plays exactly the type of style that Knights encourages? For what possible reason would he want to do this?

Anyway I'll stop ranting as I loved watching Lovett play and will continue to do so.

Firstly I have never suggested Lovett walked out for financial reasons.
There was probably alot of reasons why he asked to be traded - I understand he was unhappy about being constantly under the microscope for behavioural issues and the fact that he was put up for trade last year.

Honestly do you really think that Knights or Essendon would push Lovett out of the club when he plays exactly the type of style that Knights encourages? For what possible reason would he want to do this?

Anyway I'll stop ranting as I loved watching Lovett play and will continue to do so.

I'm just saying that we don't know for sure what happened, so we can't make such significant presumptions. I'm not making an assertion myself.

Anyway, I think we will miss him next year, and I wouldn't mind picking up Lewis Jetta in the draft for some compensation.

lovett_stk_a.jpg

It just doesn't look right.
I won't be used to this.
It seems there is always something up with players at No.13

At least for the last two players.

I'm just saying that we don't know for sure what happened, so we can't make such significant presumptions. I'm not making an assertion myself.

Anyway, I think we will miss him next year, and I wouldn't mind picking up Lewis Jetta in the draft for some compensation.

What are we going to do with two Jettas? It will drive the opposition crazy. :p

Remove this Banner Ad

Back