Anti-Football Media/General Public and Police Thread!

Which sport is more popular?

• Rugby

Votes: 3 18.8%
  • Soccer

Votes: 13 81.3%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Just on this. If an assault was taken place, there would be footage of this no doubt with the nine crew being with the reporter at all times.

I'm sure if there was actual video evidence there would've been a much bigger lead story.
There was footage, they showed it. The camera was pointing to the ground whilst people yelled at each other. Just think of a Today Tonight style story and that's what it was pretty much was.

He should dock them points, I mean how idiotic do you have to be.

I mean most European countries that flares are part of the game

Personally, I don't have an issue with flares - detonators I have a problem with, but not flares.

The issues are that 1) they're illegal here - they aren't made illegal by FFA, they're illegal under state law and under federal maritime law. So the notion that "most European countries" have them is a complete irrelevance; 2) you would have to be the dumbest campaigner/biggest bogan narcissist to take them after the week we've had. Every body knew about the sanctions given to WSW - I'd love to say that, given that, these people mustn't be football fans... except it was in the active area, which you needed a member barcode to buy a seat in.

On the issue of docking points - I don't think they have the balls to do it. Even as a Victory fan, I wouldn't be at all upset if we lost a point because of this, cos it sends a strong message.

But I think the FFA are more likely to hold their fire, wait til Monday-week when they were due to make an announcement about revised banning procedures, and they're going to tell the active supporters "you ruined it, * off if you don't like it."

the AFL paid media will ensure that they deflect attention from their three years of drugs and Essendon.

Yeah, right on! There must be a conspiracy against "football". That is why all the major media companies call soccer "football" despite there being a real "football" in this country for 160 years- way before soccer was imported into this country.

And then you just have to laugh at reports that state,
"Clearly, we would prefer to be talking about a pulsating 2-2 contest."
More positive media for soccer....but according to some there is a media conspiracy against their beloved English sport.
http://www.news.com.au/sport/david-...s/news-story/46d6449c95cc071646614c807cc37bf6

You tell me the negative aspect about soccer the game in this report.

Soccer people celebrating yet another draw..sorry, it was "pulsating". Don't they see the irony of them talking about a match in which nothing happens but a draw? Somehow that is pulsating. No result, but it was pulsating.

Yeah, right on! There must be a conspiracy against "football". That is why all the major media companies call soccer "football" despite there being a real "football" in this country for 160 years- way before soccer was imported into this country.

More positive media for soccer....but according to some there is a media conspiracy against their beloved English sport.
http://www.news.com.au/sport/david-...s/news-story/46d6449c95cc071646614c807cc37bf6

Soccer people celebrating yet another draw..sorry, it was "pulsating". Don't they see the irony of them talking about a match in which nothing happens but a draw? Somehow that is pulsating. No result, but it was pulsating.

cricket have draws too.

who was soccer imported by?

cricket have draws too.

who was soccer imported by?

Poms.
Pommy bastta**rdd*8s

Same with the rugby poms.
cricket...yes another boring pommy sport. They should have never got involved in the inventing of sports business. None of the football English games are any good. Leave it to the yanks and the Australians.

both sports at that! but they are OUR ancestors and by extension OUR people.

That is one way to look at it.
Another is the fact that Australians invented a sport prior to the poms setting up their second rate sports in Australia.

eg - Albury Tigers - established 1876 or 1870something..eg Rochester FC established in 1870 something, eg Williamstown FC in 1860something...that is at least 38 years prior to the first rugby league match being played in Australia.
I think that counts for something. I stand by that culture and heritage.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You have your opinion and you are entitled to it. Did you see the game? AFL has become a low scoring gaming with emphasis on defence. Why? Blow outs are boring, and highlights the shortcomings of the game. People enjoy watching close tight contests, like in football. It adds to the tension, which is what football is all about.A lot of the defensive zones AFL employs have been pinched from football as well as basketball. The fact is Slobbo, and the rest of the pro AFL media employ hundreds, so it is in their interest to put down the world game, as none of them have any skills or knowledge to comment on the game. AFL is at the cross roads in Victoria as the numbers playing are outnumbered 3:1 compared to the world game. Metro and country leagues are struggling with strong teams buying flags by paying exorbitant fees. It is not sustainable. Personally I enjoy both games, and arguing the merits of one over the other is meaningless and a waste of time.

You have your opinion and you are entitled to it. Did you see the game? AFL has become a low scoring gaming with emphasis on defence. Why? Blow outs are boring, and highlights the shortcomings of the game. People enjoy watching close tight contests, like in football. It adds to the tension, which is what football is all about.A lot of the defensive zones AFL employs have been pinched from football as well as basketball. The fact is Slobbo, and the rest of the pro AFL media employ hundreds, so it is in their interest to put down the world game, as none of them have any skills or knowledge to comment on the game. AFL is at the cross roads in Victoria as the numbers playing are outnumbered 3:1 compared to the world game. Metro and country leagues are struggling with strong teams buying flags by paying exorbitant fees. It is not sustainable. Personally I enjoy both games, and arguing the merits of one over the other is meaningless and a waste of time.

"World Game" that is straight out of Craig Foster's playbook. Do you think English, French and German soccer fans go around saying this is "the world game"...it is a marketing phrase for an Australian audience. In a way, I am wasting my time posting as I am sure you are fully indoctrinated if you are calling it the "world game" 5-10 times per post, as I am fully indoctrinated in Australian football, even though I started off with a soccer and rugby background...so in a way I have analysed the situation a bit better.

Soccer people do very well out of the media. Look at the amount of coverage soccer gets. Compare it to the Big Bash League...check how many pages devoted in papers to A-League even though it rated 1/10 of the cricket..and I think you would reassess your media conspiracy beliefs.

On your other points - I don't like draws. Sorry. If I returned home and spoke to a relative, and let's presume I returned from a recent a-league match without flares.... question - "what happened at the match? who won?...the reply no one. It was pointless. Oh sorry, they get a point for being pointless. And the way they solve draws is even more pointless...those shoot outs are ridiculous. We can't decide a winner, so let's have a free shot at goal.

Anyway, I want you to get back to enjoying your soccer...I just don't believe in all the conspiracy stories soccer has. All the papers are calling your sport "football" for starters. That should be an indication of complicit support.

p.s No sport is 100% boring - even the pommy ones. I am not arguing that. There was a match I saw that I really enjoyed -this match back in 2001 was a good match...and it had a winner.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2001_UEFA_Cup_Final

Last edited:

Sometimes it's the journey, not the destination that is most important.

That is one way to look at it.
Another is the fact that Australians invented a sport prior to the poms setting up their second rate sports in Australia.

eg - Albury Tigers - established 1876 or 1870something..eg Rochester FC established in 1870 something, eg Williamstown FC in 1860something...that is at least 38 years prior to the first rugby league match being played in Australia.
I think that counts for something. I stand by that culture and heritage.

by australians you mean a game derived from aboriginies? or just anglo/british culture?

cricket also has draws

We have no chance of ignoring ignorant, small minded anti-football media if we can't even ignore an ignorant, small minded anti-football troll...

Didn't we all already have this idiotic argument with pinheads after the Tom Elliott article?

"World Game" that is straight out of Craig Foster's playbook. Do you think English, French and German soccer fans go around saying this is "the world game"...it is a marketing phrase for an Australian audience. In a way, I am wasting my time posting as I am sure you are fully indoctrinated if you are calling it the "world game" 5-10 times per post, as I am fully indoctrinated in Australian football, even though I started off with a soccer and rugby background...so in a way I have analysed the situation a bit better.

Soccer people do very well out of the media. Look at the amount of coverage soccer gets. Compare it to the Big Bash League...check how many pages devoted in papers to A-League even though it rated 1/10 of the cricket..and I think you would reassess your media conspiracy beliefs.

On your other points - I don't like draws. Sorry. If I returned home and spoke to a relative, and let's presume I returned from a recent a-league match without flares.... question - "what happened at the match? who won?...the reply no one. It was pointless. Oh sorry, they get a point for being pointless. And the way they solve draws is even more pointless...those shoot outs are ridiculous. We can't decide a winner, so let's have a free shot at goal.

Anyway, I want you to get back to enjoying your soccer...I just don't believe in all the conspiracy stories soccer has. All the papers are calling your sport "football" for starters. That should be an indication of complicit support.

p.s No sport is 100% boring - even the pommy ones. I am not arguing that. There was a match I saw that I really enjoyed -this match back in 2001 was a good match...and it had a winner.

Oh Please. The media take every opportunity to kick the s*it out of the world game when they can. Slobbo et al are paranoid about the growing strength of football. It is called the world game because it is played in every country. Look at the reaction when Australia won the Asian Cup. The media had no choice but to shut up and let football take the centre stage, while AR mafia could only report about the Essendon saga. You don't like draws, well then don't watch comment or follow the game. I am sure you will enjoy watching Carlton, Brisbane and Essendon getting smashed by 80+ points later in the year as they tire. Neil Mitchell that useless excuse for a broadcaster is desperately trying to get some attention this morning so he attacks football. This is the guy who was smashed in the ratings by John Faine when Faine when was on long service leave. Once upon a time AFL was a great spectacle. The Cheer squads, the color the atmosphere. Now it is like visiting a morgue and being extorted for the trouble.

How sad is your life at the moment?

Valentines day spent blabbing about stupid code wars.

I feel sorry for ya son. jog on

Anyone who's attended derbies over the last 5 years has come to expect (dare I say even enjoy?) a little bit of a pyro show, from both sides, its not a new occurrence, its not a new scourge, FFA just responding to bad press, as per usual they don't really have the bollocks to say its a nuisance but hardly threatening.

MVFC will cop a fine, suspended points deduction etc, won't stop the kids though, you try telling a bunch of 15 year olds what to do.

Serious question from a neutral:
The media exists to sell its product, why would it go and alienate a large portion of its buyers, by apparently having an agenda against soccer? Wouldn't that defeat the purpose of having a business, seeing as soccer is the world game, and thus would have more fans than say AFL or rugby?

Seems like a random conspiracy theory to come up with

Oh Please. The media take every opportunity to kick the s*it out of the world game when they can. Slobbo et al are paranoid about the growing strength of football. It is called the world game because it is played in every country. Look at the reaction when Australia won the Asian Cup. The media had no choice but to shut up and let football take the centre stage, while AR mafia could only report about the Essendon saga. You don't like draws, well then don't watch comment or follow the game. I am sure you will enjoy watching Carlton, Brisbane and Essendon getting smashed by 80+ points later in the year as they tire. Neil Mitchell that useless excuse for a broadcaster is desperately trying to get some attention this morning so he attacks football. This is the guy who was smashed in the ratings by John Faine when Faine when was on long service leave. Once upon a time AFL was a great spectacle. The Cheer squads, the color the atmosphere. Now it is like visiting a morgue and being extorted for the trouble.

I love Sydney fc.

But.

Fear? Ratings and crowds say otherwise. Not to mention they are played at 2 different times of the year.

Picked on? Dont light flares and throw projectiles at police. Or assualt people (wether they are in your face or not)

I used to think league shot themselves in the foot the most but its nithing compared to football.

Serious question from a neutral:
The media exists to sell its product, why would it go and alienate a large portion of its buyers, by apparently having an agenda against soccer? Wouldn't that defeat the purpose of having a business, seeing as soccer is the world game, and thus would have more fans than say AFL or rugby?

Seems like a random conspiracy theory to come up with

Gary Lyon on the front page yesterday. Not one comment about it on the AFL radio stations. Instead they have spent the morning bashing football. You tell me.

Back