Anti-Football Media/General Public and Police Thread!

Which sport is more popular?

• Rugby

Votes: 3 18.8%
  • Soccer

Votes: 13 81.3%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Gary Lyon on the front page yesterday. Not one comment about it on the AFL radio stations. Instead they have spent the morning bashing football. You tell me.
What radio stations are you referring to?

The only reason I knew about the flares on the weekend was about a 2 second story on the news (and facebook). All i've heard about is Lyon

Either way, this doesn't answer the question, you're just pushing the conspiracy, not responding to the points

Serious question from a neutral:
The media exists to sell its product, why would it go and alienate a large portion of its buyers, by apparently having an agenda against soccer? Wouldn't that defeat the purpose of having a business, seeing as soccer is the world game, and thus would have more fans than say AFL or rugby?

It's not an unreasonable question - but in the case of Australian media, they think there is more money to be made by vindicating AFL fans and NRL fans by allowing them to believe that their sports are the best in the world.

If you look at either paper during the AFL season and see 12, 14, 16 pages of reporting on the sport, it's clear that these are the sports that (they believe) drive their sales. Even on Derby day, I think the Herald Sun provided 3 pages on the match?

It's our worst quality as Australians - you see it in politics, in sport, in religion in immigration - our apparent "need" to create an "other" who is different to us who we can resent and hate.

I love Sydney fc.

But.

Fear? Ratings and crowds say otherwise. Not to mention they are played at 2 different times of the year.

Picked on? Dont light flares and throw projectiles at police. Or assualt people (wether they are in your face or not)

I used to think league shot themselves in the foot the most but its nithing compared to football.

I have been to enough AFL games to see the fights, drunken behaviour and the appalling language. Never reported or commented upon except for last year when even the AFL could not hide it. You remember that bloke punching the female supporter.

Mate you should be encouraging WSW to come to your games and light all the flares they want. In fact the Giants should supply them free of charge. No chance that anyone would be hurt as there is no one in the outer. The AFL prefer to play your home games in Canberra. Just shows how bad the Giants are travelling. Once again how much money has the AFL spent on this wasted exercise? It's the supporters and members of all clubs that end up paying for it. How are the free tickets going?

I have been to enough AFL games to see the fights, drunken behaviour and the appalling language. Never reported or commented upon except for last year when even the AFL could not hide it. You remember that bloke punching the female supporter.

Mate you should be encouraging WSW to come to your games and light all the flares they want. In fact the Giants should supply them free of charge. No chance that anyone would be hurt as there is no one in the outer. The AFL prefer to play your home games in Canberra. Just shows how bad the Giants are travelling. Once again how much money has the AFL spent on this wasted exercise? It's the supporters and members of all clubs that end up paying for it. How are the free tickets going?
Wow. How childish. Let me guess you grew with dreams of being a wannabe hool?
Acting all tough with your group of friends but pissing your pants if your alone.

The only thing wrong with football is the flares and "what about them" mentality of some football fans.

I do remember the guy belting the woman. All the fans put him into the poice and he is currently serving a jail term and is banned from footy.
Do football fans put people into the police or is that considered against freedom?

I wont go into how much youre incorrect about the Giants. But hey if thats all you got it proves my point.

Last edited:
I love Sydney fc.

But.

Fear? Ratings and crowds say otherwise. Not to mention they are played at 2 different times of the year.

Picked on? Dont light flares and throw projectiles at police. Or assualt people (wether they are in your face or not)

I used to think league shot themselves in the foot the most but its nithing compared to football.
The AFL and NRL should be terrified of the Big Bash and T20 cricket...

It doesn't bother me as much anymore with criticism articles about flares and stupid fan behaviour usually it's just deserved like today's HS front page. Even opinion articles about how boring and slow the game can be at times don't bother me, now a days I just laugh that s**t off!

What pisses me off the most is when the media decide to compare codes and turn it all in to a code war usually to make the AFL look good.

s**t like, you wouldn't see flares at the AFL or marches, the AFL is more family orientated, AFL player don't dive it doesn't have lots of low scoring draws there for its more exciting blah.. blah.. blah.. When I hear or read jurnos do this I know what the real agender is it's not highlighting the dangers of flares or bad behaviour or how much they want the sport to improve, they want their target audience to believe that the AFL is a better produce and spectacle to attend and watch, that is always the hidden agender in these articles.

I'm not going to go as far as afraid or fear of the sport but there is an element that just don't want to accept the game in this country or want to understand
The imports of the sport especially at an international level. Is it because its foreign? different in the way it's played and supported? Because so called new Australians adapt to it more then they do the AFL? is there really a rascial element involved? I hope not I don't want to believe that but sometimes I'm left scratching my head at how and why this country finds it so hard to move forward and adapt to the changing world this world of globalisation, some are just content in keeping Australia at the ass end off the world!

The game is here to stay in fact its always been here over 130 years! it's as much part of Australia as meat pies and VB's. The sooner this is realised and understood the better! It may take a generation or two to fully realise but one day it will happen.

Last edited:
I think if AFL was to be treated like Football, a case like the Fremantle assault on a woman would go something like this:

- Assault occurs, is caught on camera in full.
- Multiple media columns suggesting AFL is inherently violent and should be stamped out, maybe even suggesting some rule changes to placate violent behaviour.
- Police statement addressing the abhorrent behaviour of AFL fans
- Police recommending ceasing all sales of alcohol in stadiums, describes it as an AFL specific problem, advises clubs and league to fix this problem.
- AFL deducts Frematle Premiership Points in response to outrage.
- Parents quickly suggesting children shouldn't attend AFL matches.

I can only assume that it wasn't shown on the TV or in the papers, but take it from someone that was there on Saturday night: it wasn't just flares - something was on fire in the North Terrace for several seconds after Victory's goal. You could see flames clearly from the other side of the ground. I'm not sure what exactly the Wanderers fans did last week, but that, combined with the pelting of Sorensen with bottles after the obvious wrong decision to not award Finkler a goal (like any keeper would demand that the decision be overturned and I'm not even sure it would make if difference if he had), will see Victory copping the same penalty, as the absolute bare minimum. Gallop is going to send a statement here and my bet is he's going to go whack.

I think if AFL was to be treated like Football, a case like the Fremantle assault on a woman would go something like this:

- Assault occurs, is caught on camera in full.
- Multiple media columns suggesting AFL is inherently violent and should be stamped out, maybe even suggesting some rule changes to placate violent behaviour.
- Police statement addressing the abhorrent behaviour of AFL fans
- Police recommending ceasing all sales of alcohol in stadiums, describes it as an AFL specific problem, advises clubs and league to fix this problem.
- AFL deducts Frematle Premiership Points in response to outrage.
- Parents quickly suggesting children shouldn't attend AFL matches.

Except, I've seen footage of a Melbourne Heart supporter coward punching a WSW supporter at a game a few years back and it barely raised a blip on the national media. I bet many of you never even knew this incident happened.

But yep, they're just out to get us.

Except, I've seen footage of a Melbourne Heart supporter coward punching a WSW supporter at a game a few years back and it barely raised a blip on the national media. I bet many of you never even knew this incident happened.

But yep, they're just out to get us.

lol you kidding! That was all over the news! I remember watching channel nine news at the time and it was the lead story as well reading countless articles about it in the HS and the Age.

Every made it in the local Blcktown paper!

http://www.blacktownsun.com.au/stor...art-believe-they-know-wanderers-fan-attacker/

From HS

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/la...ender-identified/story-fnat79vb-1226599000750

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wow. How childish. Let me guess you grew with dreams of being a wannabe hool?
Acting all tough with your group of friends but pissing your pants if your alone.

The only thing wrong with football is the flares and "what about them" mentality of some football fans.

I do remember the guy belting the woman. All the fans put him into the poice and he is currently serving a jail term and is banned from footy.
Do football fans put people into the police or is that considered against freedom?

I wont go into how much youre incorrect about the Giants. But hey if thats all you got it proves my point.

Not sure what point it proves other than that there is a bad case of insecurity when it comes to football. A couple of idiots light up flares. Find them and ban them. If they keep doing it then the club(s) will pay the penalty with a loss of points. If they can bring these flares in then how hard would it be for a terrorist or group of terrorists to bring in other paraphernalia which could kill people. I have yet to hear one competent journalist raise this concern. It has all been attack the game, ban clubs, play behind closed doors. Again I have been listening to the radio all morning and still waiting for something to be said about Lyon & Brownless. Why is that? Why is it that all the Press went dead when the Hawthorn drug story broke in 2007? What happened to the names on the list that was found? Why did the AFL never release the information? Not one investigative journalist had the balls to break open the story. However it was ok for Bec Wilson to openly publish the names of 198 fans banned from the A-League. That was in the public interest, but naming drug cheats is not. What about the ongoing drug problems that the Eagles had? John Worsfold was the only guy in West Australia that didn't know something was amiss at the club. Mainwarring died and the penny still did not drop. Every footy journo knows the real story and gives a nod and a wink, but refuse to publish anything. The AFL forced one journalist to leave the country to find work and made it clear that they would destroy any other journalist that wrote about issues the AFL didn't want to be aired. It worked well until Essendon came along. Essendon has had 34 players suspended and yet the AFL has bent over backwards to change the rules and everything for them. Why not just kick them out of the competition for 12 months? If this had been a Melbourne Victory or WSW there would a Royal Commission and there would be calls to kick them out of the competition.

Let's not kid ourselves there are massive double standards when it comes to the world game. If you want to snipe at Football knock yourself out, but In 50 years time Rugby, League and AFL will be one code playing a hybrid game. Why? Pretty obvious I would have thought. Look forward to watching the Giants this year and their 2000 attendance which ends up becoming 11,000 by the time the spin doctors get involved. I know for a fact how many free tickets are given out. GWS is a joke. I feel for the three supporters that travel to the away games, although I am becoming convinced that the AFL are paying some locals at the Interstate venue to put on the horrendous colors and waive a flag.

Not sure what point it proves other than that there is a bad case of insecurity when it comes to football. A couple of idiots light up flares. Find them and ban them. If they keep doing it then the club(s) will pay the penalty with a loss of points. If they can bring these flares in then how hard would it be for a terrorist or group of terrorists to bring in other paraphernalia which could kill people. I have yet to hear one competent journalist raise this concern. It has all been attack the game, ban clubs, play behind closed doors. Again I have been listening to the radio all morning and still waiting for something to be said about Lyon & Brownless. Why is that? Why is it that all the Press went dead when the Hawthorn drug story broke in 2007? What happened to the names on the list that was found? Why did the AFL never release the information? Not one investigative journalist had the balls to break open the story. However it was ok for Bec Wilson to openly publish the names of 198 fans banned from the A-League. That was in the public interest, but naming drug cheats is not. What about the ongoing drug problems that the Eagles had? John Worsfold was the only guy in West Australia that didn't know something was amiss at the club. Mainwarring died and the penny still did not drop. Every footy journo knows the real story and gives a nod and a wink, but refuse to publish anything. The AFL forced one journalist to leave the country to find work and made it clear that they would destroy any other journalist that wrote about issues the AFL didn't want to be aired. It worked well until Essendon came along. Essendon has had 34 players suspended and yet the AFL has bent over backwards to change the rules and everything for them. Why not just kick them out of the competition for 12 months? If this had been a Melbourne Victory or WSW there would a Royal Commission and there would be calls to kick them out of the competition.

Let's not kid ourselves there are massive double standards when it comes to the world game. If you want to snipe at Football knock yourself out, but In 50 years time Rugby, League and AFL will be one code playing a hybrid game. Why? Pretty obvious I would have thought. Look forward to watching the Giants this year and their 2000 attendance which ends up becoming 11,000 by the time the spin doctors get involved. I know for a fact how many free tickets are given out. GWS is a joke. I feel for the three supporters that travel to the away games, although I am becoming convinced that the AFL are paying some locals at the Interstate venue to put on the horrendous colors and waive a flag.

God you are so full of s**t.

Wah wah. We are picked on. Wah wah wah your club in an unrelated sport are s**t.

Excuses excuses.

Your having trolling comments and passing the blame onto the media.
No taking on ownership and being an adult

It would be hilarious if i didnt love the ALeague and mugs like yourself will end up destroying it.

But hey its those evil people in the media right?
Dont give them something to write about and they wont.

You keep going on about the lyon thing.

1 its a personal issue nothing to do with the game and 2 its all over the media so you are wrong. Again.

Again with the giants. Bahaha pathetic.

I can only assume that it wasn't shown on the TV or in the papers, but take it from someone that was there on Saturday night: it wasn't just flares - something was on fire in the North Terrace for several seconds after Victory's goal. You could see flames clearly from the other side of the ground. I'm not sure what exactly the Wanderers fans did last week, but that, combined with the pelting of Sorensen with bottles after the obvious wrong decision to not award Finkler a goal (like any keeper would demand that the decision be overturned and I'm not even sure it would make if difference if he had), will see Victory copping the same penalty, as the absolute bare minimum. Gallop is going to send a statement here and my bet is he's going to go whack.

I'm in the NT, I didn't see anything I don't normally see when a flare goes off, and there wasn't panic.

I'm in the NT, I didn't see anything I don't normally see when a flare goes off, and there wasn't panic.

Well, Berisha and Broxham certainly looked like they were panicking, when they realised that a few idiots in the crowd might actually cost their team points. Without even worrying about the legalities of flares, the Victory supporters that decided to start throwing bottles on to the ground pretty clearly put Sorensen in very real danger of sustaining an injury, due entirely to their actions.

The precedent was set last week. You would have to be a complete numbskull to miss the clear indication that the FFA was not mucking around. Certain Victory supporters decided that they were bigger than the team and the game and they are going to cost the club that they supposedly love. They will be lucky to receive the same penalty as the Wanderers. I hope it was worth it for them. I'm sure their mates in the north terrace will be very impressed with how well 'ard they are, if it ends up costing Victory points and a high five/low six figure fine.

Oh Please. The media take every opportunity to kick the s*it out of the world game when they can. Slobbo et al are paranoid about the growing strength of football. It is called the world game because it is played in every country. Look at the reaction when Australia won the Asian Cup. The media had no choice but to shut up and let football take the centre stage, while AR mafia could only report about the Essendon saga. You don't like draws, well then don't watch comment or follow the game. I am sure you will enjoy watching Carlton, Brisbane and Essendon getting smashed by 80+ points later in the year as they tire. Neil Mitchell that useless excuse for a broadcaster is desperately trying to get some attention this morning so he attacks football. This is the guy who was smashed in the ratings by John Faine when Faine when was on long service leave. Once upon a time AFL was a great spectacle. The Cheer squads, the color the atmosphere. Now it is like visiting a morgue and being extorted for the trouble.

You claim a media conspiracy but how can you when you haven't addressed my key points

1) why does soccer in the paper get as much or even more than the Big Bash League in coverage when it gets one/tenth of the ratings, crowds etc?

2) why has the media deemed that soccer is to be called "football". Cultural retreat if I have ever seen it. Roll over and play dead for the poms. This is despite the fact that these same papers have for 160 years called Australian football "football".

On your other points, I won't be watching Carlton getting smashed by 80+ as I rarely watch football these days. I have an interest in but rarely watch it.

Neil Mitchell...so he isn't allowed an opinion but Craig Foster is?
Free press. John Faine, he is a bigot. Never listen to him.
re: AFL matches - I went to the Carlton vs Richmond final 95,000 that one went ok. Haven't been to many matches since, so I will have to take your word for it being awful..

So in your fascist new world utopian order where we all bow to the "beautiful game" of 2-2 draws, will it be a thoughtcrime for the Americans to still be playing American football, baseball and basketball?

1984 here we come.

p.s - will they still have the big bash cricket league in 50 years time as well?;)

First you guys have to outrate that sport. Could it happen within 50 years?

Last edited:
its also interesting that USA are proud to call soccer soccer. they are really proud of the fact they beat the british for independence. therefore soccer is soccer, not football. if they didnt they'd be a larger version of australia.
but we have voted against a republic and abbott didnt want it (nor did howard). both want ties to britain and the queen.

by doing so, we are a part of them, and by extension football. english football, famous for crowd segregation and hooligans is entrenched in our DNA.

Some of these agendas are hilarious.

A few posters on here sound tweaked, like the whole world is out to get them and their sporting teams; it's pathetic looking in from a neutral point of view.

You get threatened not to do something which looks awful for the game and you decide to do it and hurt your own club in the process, how many of these *******s really care about their clubs fortune?
Give them what they deserve.

its also interesting that USA are proud to call soccer soccer. they are really proud of the fact they beat the british for independence. therefore soccer is soccer, not football. if they didnt they'd be a larger version of australia.
but we have voted against a republic and abbott didnt want it (nor did howard). both want ties to britain and the queen.

by doing so, we are a part of them, and by extension football. english football, famous for crowd segregation and hooligans is entrenched in our DNA.

Good points. Australia seeks approval from their overmasters like wussy wimps (hence newspapers calling soccer "football"), Americans seek approval from no one. They call their sports - the World Series for gawd sake. America is the world for them. World Champions NFL.

Good points. Australia seeks approval from their overmasters like wussy wimps (hence newspapers calling soccer "football"), Americans seek approval from no one. They call their sports - the World Series for gawd sake. America is the world for them. World Champions NFL.

do you know where World Series comes from?

Back