Anti-vax LNP senate candidate. Where did all the adults go?

Remove this Banner Ad

She sounds like the sort of person who sends me ranty emails sometimes.

Tick off every stupid meme including:

In another tweet earlier this year, Tobin backed a comment from another user who said they knew COVID-19 was a “scam” when Bill Gates “was known to be involved”.

Didn't even need to open the thread to know it would be Queensland.
Some weird s**t going on up there.
The reputation of Queensland (outside Brisbane at least) as the land of the crazies is well-earned, but it's also more of a mixed bag than people might think. The conservative nutjobs are very nutty, but the progressive areas can be very progressive. Truly a land of extremes.

The latest polls have the Greens doing very well in Queensland, and it's a real possibility that they win at least one of the three inner-city seats in Brisbane. I anticipate a swing against the LNP, and while I don't know if it will be localised enough to cost them any lower house seats, I can't see the LNP winning three senators this time. Brisbane at least balances things out a bit.

The reputation of Queensland (outside Brisbane at least) as the land of the crazies is well-earned, but it's also more of a mixed bag than people might think. The conservative nutjobs are very nutty, but the progressive areas can be very progressive. Truly a land of extremes.

The latest polls have the Greens doing very well in Queensland, and it's a real possibility that they win at least one of the three inner-city seats in Brisbane. I anticipate a swing against the LNP, and while I don't know if it will be localised enough to cost them any lower house seats, I can't see the LNP winning three senators this time. Brisbane at least balances things out a bit.
I like to think that there are dumb *s everywhere they just stand out more where it's less crowded

Pauline will get the 3rd conservative seat. Clive's UAP votes will drag enough votes to perhaps get the conservatives a 4th seat again, a lot of COVID nuttery going on up there.

It's safe to say that if the rest of Australia didn't already look down on the intelligence of Queensland's education system, that disdain increases every federal election!

Not sure how the ALP win state elections when doing so bad federally! 22% Senate vote last election!

I might not be able to put Eric Abetz last on the Senate ticket this year as there seems to be an influx of batshit crazy candidates such as deluded anti-vaxxers and anti-lockdown arseholes and apparently even a Q-Anon lunatic. How the hell do you work out who to put last out of that lot?

I might not be able to put Eric Abetz last on the Senate ticket this year as there seems to be an influx of batshit crazy candidates such as deluded anti-vaxxers and anti-lockdown arseholes and apparently even a Q-Anon lunatic. How the hell do you work out who to put last out of that lot?
yeah its a worry
you really have to look into who is running in your area because there are a lot of cookers out there and they rebrand between elections

this is why we need optional preferential voting at the federal level

works great for state elections in NSW, where the nutbag contingent is even bigger

Sad thing is, a lot of mexicans arriving in droves, with their crazy antivax ideas.

Pauline will get the 3rd conservative seat. Clive's UAP votes will drag enough votes to perhaps get the conservatives a 4th seat again, a lot of COVID nuttery going on up there.
I can't see it being anything other than a 3-3 split. A lot of the anti-vax morons and country conservatives were already voting for Pauline.

It's safe to say that if the rest of Australia didn't already look down on the intelligence of Queensland's education system, that disdain increases every federal election!
I blame Joh for intentionally defunding education and keeping the people stupid so they'd keep re-electing him.

Not sure how the ALP win state elections when doing so bad federally! 22% Senate vote last election!
The short answer is, Labor are more trusted on things like health and education that are predominantly state responsibilities, and Queenslanders are easily taken in by LNP/Murdoch scare campaigns about new federal taxes.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sad thing is, a lot of mexicans arriving in droves, with their crazy antivax ideas.
What leads you to believe there are many anti-vaxxers amongst them? A lot of the sentiment could be coming from pre-pandemic Queenslanders. After all, so much of the anti-fluoridation stupidity was present here long before the pandemic.

I can't see it being anything other than a 3-3 split. A lot of the anti-vax morons and country conservatives were already voting for Pauline.

I blame Joh for intentionally defining education and keeping the people stupid so they'd keep re-electing him.
The dumbing down of education is a critical element of conservatism. It's why they attack educated people so much. The battle is to make more than 40% of the population as dim as possible so that the top 10% can use them to their advantage.

What makes you think Qld will vote more for the Greens/ALP than they did last election?

I love to fill out the entire Senate ballot paper to figure out what far right loony gets last place. Last election it was pretty simple, Fraser Anning’s neofascist mob took that prize.

And boy is the field crowded this year. We’ve got UAP, One Nation, Lib Dems, Values party, Australian Christians, Great Australia Party, “Informed Medical Options”, Federation party, No Mandatory Vaccine party, the independents and group tickets running who are pretty much anti vaxxers and far right nutbags.

How to decide?!

I love to fill out the entire Senate ballot paper to figure out what far right loony gets last place. Last election it was pretty simple, Fraser Anning’s neofascist mob took that prize.

And boy is the field crowded this year. We’ve got UAP, One Nation, Lib Dems, Values party, Australian Christians, Great Australia Party, “Informed Medical Options”, Federation party, No Mandatory Vaccine party, the independents and group tickets running who are pretty much anti vaxxers and far right nutbags.

How to decide?!
Canavan got my last spot.

What makes you think Qld will vote more for the Greens/ALP than they did last election?
Polling numbers, the general swing against Scummo whose act has worn thin, the lack of an effective tax scare campaign this election, the recent floods bringing climate change back into people's minds, and the scale of the Greens campaigns in inner Brisbane. They've put a lot of effort into the seats of Brisbane, Griffith and Ryan.

Polling numbers, the general swing against Scummo whose act has worn thin, the lack of an effective tax scare campaign this election, the recent floods bringing climate change back into people's minds, and the scale of the Greens campaigns in inner Brisbane. They've put a lot of effort into the seats of Brisbane, Griffith and Ryan.
Floods due again this week.
I believe the lower Braemar has a flood warning, which does not bode well for Brisbane.
And,
its raining, its pouring, Sco Mo is snoring.

I still think the ALP and Greens are fighting over 35% of Queenslanders, while the rest are convinced conservative/populist policies are the way to go, federally.

I still think the ALP and Greens are fighting over 35% of Queenslanders, while the rest are convinced conservative/populist policies are the way to go, federally.
Labor's 2PP in Queensland in 2019 was 41.6%, so are you predicting a 6% swing to the Coalition? Every single opinion poll has prrdicted at least a 1.9% 2PP swing. Some from a few weeks ago even had Labor ahead!

Labor's 2PP in Queensland in 2019 was 41.6%, so are you predicting a 6% swing to the Coalition? Every single opinion poll has prrdicted at least a 1.9% 2PP swing. Some from a few weeks ago even had Labor ahead!

I'm talking about the Senate:

Here's the previous 2019 results where the Greens and ALP combined for 32% of the vote. 35% if you include animal justice and HEMP.

Most of the rest of the down-ticket are outright racists and other assorted kooks like Fraser Anning.

Who is the ALP going to win votes from? I've got a feeling the disaffected LNP will simply move to UAP or ON
1652149933890.png

I'm talking about the Senate:

Here's the previous 2019 results where the Greens and ALP combined for 32% of the vote. 35% if you include animal justice and HEMP.

Most of the rest of the down-ticket are outright racists and other assorted kooks like Fraser Anning.

Who is the ALP going to win votes from? I've got a feeling the disaffected LNP will simply move to UAP or ON
View attachment 1396814
The anti-vax segment of the LNP, maybe. Can't see Brisbane and Gold Coast upper middle class embracing either of those parties, or especially in inner Brisbane. Remember the south-east's population share has grown as most of the southern state transplants have settled on Brisbane or the Gold and Sunshine Coasts.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back