Anyone feel like Port doesnt exist?

Remove this Banner Ad

The Power, despite their fans telling otherwise, are IMV a poor cousin of this power club that existed in the 80's. It's kind of sad, the Power have effectively killed off the Magpies & b/c of Collingwood existing in the AFL with black/white, the Power are still searching for an identity.

You're entitled to an opinion, but this perception that the 'Power' are 'poor cousins' or say, a 'cheap imitation' and have 'killed off the Magpies' is factually wrong.

The Port Adelaide Football Club (Power) reside at Alberton where the club has always been since 1880.

It kept all the Premierships, all the medals, all the memorabilia, all the facilities where they belong.

The trouble and confusion arose when the club wanted to maintain a Magpie presence in the SANFL operating as one overarching entity with teams in both leagues, but the SANFL and its other member clubs demanded a complete divorce of operations to elsewhere - which resulted in a $1,100,000 relocation of the Magpies team to Ethelton.

This had nothing to do with the Power's wishes and whether the club remained united as desired or not, the AFL side was always going to have to play in a different guernsey and mascot regardless. Completely unavoidable, but still always Port Adelaide.

Just on your 'identity' point though, this is what the recent OneClub merger was all about. Both the PAFC and PAMFC lobbied to be the one entity based out of Alberton last year and this wrong has been righted.

I didn't mind them previously. I loved Tredrea, Francou, Primus, Cornes etc.

But the way Chad Cornes has run around disinterested for 3 years, the way they let Motlop be even less of a team man than Fev, the way they literally appear to just gie up in games when its getting tough just lost me completely and I can't stand watching them. Outside a handful of players, they seem to lack any heart or spirit.

As a Port supporter, this is the post that hits closest to home and that speaks the most truth. All of the above symptoms we've displayed in the post 2004 period were largely manifestations of Choco's personal biases. He chose for us to recruit downhill skiers and to play "fast, attractive (flaky)" football instead of dour, dependable stuff.

The noises that Primus has made since taking over are positive that he at least recognises the need to change the culture back to a more team-oriented one, built on discipline and honesty in performance. The two guys you single out (Chad and Mots) have polarised more than a few Port supporters for their performances and conduct in recent years. Again, both were Choco favourites who were never brought into line.

Winning and playing Sydney-style of reliable, consistent football will help turn things around. Truth be known, we reckon we have a bloody good list of young players now. Time for them to show themselves.

As a Port supporter, this is the post that hits closest to home and that speaks the most truth. All of the above symptoms we've displayed in the post 2004 period were largely manifestations of Choco's personal biases. He chose for us to recruit downhill skiers and to play "fast, attractive (flaky)" football instead of dour, dependable stuff.

All true.

The oft-repeated line, "The father built the club, the son destroyed it" could almost be translated into a Latin motto and added to the club crest.

Collingwood under Tony Shaw and Collingwood under Mick Malthouse have shown the way in terms of how much an all-encompassing onfield transformation can massively overhaul reputations in short order.

:thumbsu::thumbsu:

the comment regarding picking their players for fantasy teams is real.
maybe cassisi, maybe kane cornes, but thats it. i cant name more than 5 players from their list, but the rest of the league id name minimum 15.

This really says more about you as a general footy supporter though. When my team plays any opponent, I make sure I know who all of their players are, even if they're on the fringes or only recently recruited............and I'm bloody following it from Minnesota.

The fact that most people's ratings of the 2008-2010 draftees still leave Jackson Trengove outside the top 20 is a reflection of genuine ignorance in the general football public. In what was effectively his first season, this kid was terrific last year and will probably go on to be the premier CHB of the next decade.

The fact that most people's ratings of the 2008-2010 draftees still leave Jackson Trengove outside the top 20 is a reflection of genuine ignorance in the general football public. In what was effectively his first season, this kid was terrific last year and will probably go on to be the premier CHB of the next decade.

Dude, he plays for Melbourne :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

The Port Adelaide Football Club (Power) reside at Alberton where the club has always been since 1880.

It kept all the Premierships, all the medals, all the memorabilia, all the facilities where they belong.

The trouble and confusion arose when the club wanted to maintain a Magpie presence in the SANFL operating as one overarching entity with teams in both leagues, but the SANFL and its other member clubs demanded a complete divorce of operations to elsewhere - which resulted in a $1,100,000 relocation of the Magpies team to Ethelton.

Firstly, I don't mind Port. They are much alike Collingwood, i.e. working class supporters traditionally & being the most hated club in S.A, etc, etc.

A big reason IMV why you haven't become such a big club in the AFL is there has been mass confusion at your real identity. I know the Adelaide Crows contributed to this, for example in 1991, I imagine quite a few Port (in the SANFL) fans followed the Crows b/c of the attraction of AFL & the higher standard. I have heard that when the Power joined the AFL, a lot of these supporters didn't go back to Port.

The biggest mistake though was being so close to it's traditional base, i.e. the Port Magpies. With the Dockers, they had South Fremantle & East Fremantle, 2 very successful clubs in their own right. They have been successful (off the field) b/c they really aren't that close (as the Power are to the Magpies) to these former clubs (even though they train at South Fremantle). B/c of this, they appeal to outsiders, in Port's case, they have a lot of trouble breaking the Port mould/base.

I have no doubt that if Port were admitted in 1991, they would be a power club. Ever since, the SANFL have had it in even more (that was already there) for Port & the traditional base has been eroded.

Firstly, I don't mind Port. They are much alike Collingwood, i.e. working class supporters traditionally & being the most hated club in S.A, etc, etc.

A big reason IMV why you haven't become such a big club in the AFL is there has been mass confusion at your real identity. I know the Adelaide Crows contributed to this, for example in 1991, I imagine quite a few Port (in the SANFL) fans followed the Crows b/c of the attraction of AFL & the higher standard. I have heard that when the Power joined the AFL, a lot of these supporters didn't go back to Port.

The biggest mistake though was being so close to it's traditional base, i.e. the Port Magpies. With the Dockers, they had South Fremantle & East Fremantle, 2 very successful clubs in their own right. They have been successful (off the field) b/c they really aren't that close (as the Power are to the Magpies) to these former clubs (even though they train at South Fremantle). B/c of this, they appeal to outsiders, in Port's case, they have a lot of trouble breaking the Port mould/base.

I have no doubt that if Port were admitted in 1991, they would be a power club. Ever since, the SANFL have had it in even more (that was already there) for Port & the traditional base has been eroded.

It's going to take time, but having the Port Adelaide supporter base reunited for the first time since 1996 is a massive step in the right direction.

IMO, once the SANFL went down the path of a universal composite side in 1991 - complete with the SA state colours, capital city name and a derivative of the state team mascot (CROWeaterS) - the only other option was to award the second licence to Port Adelaide as a readymade club in alternative. The Crows' branding attraction as essentially the much-loved State of Origin side of the 1980s now showing every week cannot be underestimated as any other form of generic alternative such as say, South Coast Stars or Adelaide Aces playing in an equally generic colour combination, would've looked like the LA Clippers in comparison.

The horrendous error as I pointed out previously, was forcibly cleaving Port Adelaide in two at a time when it needed to be at its most united in the face of selling a new identity (due to Collingwood's monopoly on the black and white/Magpie emblem, obvs) and as it turned out, Adelaide scoring back-to-back flags off the back of a 6-year head start.

But 15 years' on, things are now as they always should've been.

Whether it is too late to have a noticeable short to medium-term bounce (say 5000-10000+ members and 2500-5000 attendees over the next 3-5 years) is yet to be determined.

Gah, it's frustrating to see the Gold Coast handed a foothold in the SEQLD market on a platter with an amazing young talented list, the best player in the league, and best of all, a floundering local rival. Having a team marketed as the state side get 6 years on us before winning back to back flags in our first two years cost us thousands and thousands of supporters IMO.

You could write a book on all the misfortune (both created by the club and by external parties) that was heaped on the most storied and successful club in the land joining the national league. We have absolutely obliterated everything that we had going for us 15 years ago, and we are basically in a position where we have to start again. The new guernsey is terrific, but it's the first step in a long process of building the Port Adelaide name back up to where it was in the glory days.

Onfield success, as always, is the key. Nobody has heard much from us because we've missed the finals 3 years in a row and bar Travis Boak we don't have a genuine gun at or approaching his peak on the list.

The noises that Primus has made since taking over are positive that he at least recognises the need to change the culture back to a more team-oriented one, built on discipline and honesty in performance. The two guys you single out (Chad and Mots) have polarised more than a few Port supporters for their performances and conduct in recent years. Again, both were Choco favourites who were never brought into line.

Winning and playing Sydney-style of reliable, consistent football will help turn things around. Truth be known, we reckon we have a bloody good list of young players now. Time for them to show themselves.

The closest I ever came to being a Power supporter was during the 2003 Heritage Round game. Seeing AFL players playing that style of football in the best jumper ever was nearly enough to make me jump on board. In the era 2001-2004 you were "Port Adelaide" in the AFL.

The biggest problem with you guys at the moment. Even when you were winning in 2007 it was not in a way that inspires people to support you. Nor is it sustainable. The GF result was justification of that.

Since then it has all been talk with nothing to back it up. All the marketing in the world wont generate real support if the on field aspect is no good.

Primus is making all the right noises and only time will tell if those noises are turned into action.

Gah, it's frustrating to see the Gold Coast handed a foothold in the SEQLD market on a platter with an amazing young talented list, the best player in the league, and best of all, a floundering local rival. Having a team marketed as the state side get 6 years on us before winning back to back flags in our first two years cost us thousands and thousands of supporters IMO.

Gold Coast have the tools, no gurantee that they can use them. Richmond have had 20 years of good draft picks.

It absolutely baffles me how Choco could embody everything his father taught in his playing days, then when it came his turn to take the reigns waste draft after draft taking outside half back flankers to play non-contact football.

It's going to take time, but having the Port Adelaide supporter base reunited for the first time since 1996 is a massive step in the right direction.

IMO, once the SANFL went down the path of a universal composite side in 1991 - complete with the SA state colours, capital city name and a derivative of the state team mascot (CROWeaterS) - the only other option was to award the second licence to Port Adelaide as a readymade club in alternative. The Crows' branding attraction as essentially the much-loved State of Origin side of the 1980s now showing every week cannot be underestimated as any other form of generic alternative such as say, South Coast Stars or Adelaide Aces playing in an equally generic colour combination, would've looked like the LA Clippers in comparison.

The horrendous error as I pointed out previously, was forcibly cleaving Port Adelaide in two at a time when it needed to be at its most united in the face of selling a new identity (due to Collingwood's monopoly on the black and white/Magpie emblem, obvs) and as it turned out, Adelaide scoring back-to-back flags off the back of a 6-year head start.

But 15 years' on, things are now as they always should've been.

Whether it is too late to have a noticeable short to medium-term bounce (say 5000-10000+ members and 2500-5000 attendees over the next 3-5 years) is yet to be determined.

Had Port gone into the AFL under this set up, I am one that would be a Power member now I reckon.

As a regular goer (and member) to Port games pre 1997 and after 1997 nothing really changed for me in the SANFL. Sure they trained down the road and the offices were there. But I still went to Alberton to watch em play, the same people were in the crowd and they wore the same jumper, with a lot of the same players and played in a Grand Final at the end of the year. Allbeit with an unusual result. Norwood pfft.

So I didnt follow the Power. A fair few Magpies people didnt. Heck, Scott Hodges is a passionate Collingwood person. It was actually Scotty playing for the Crows that made me beg my parents to get Crows tickets, as I wanted to watch my favourite player. To many they were seen as the new team. Whether that is correct or not is debatable, a debate many a kb has been wasted on and is irrelevant now.

It absolutely baffles me how Choco could embody everything his father taught in his playing days, then when it came his turn to take the reigns waste draft after draft taking outside half back flankers to play non-contact football.

Blame his Collingwood days;):D......

It is a weird one. Maybe he could see that the style that one him a flag in 2004 was too similar to what had been done before and he wanted to invent something new. Getting into the 2007 GF was justification to him that it would work, and he persisited?? Dunno...

Lets hope he continues that at GWS:D:D. Between him and Sheedy anything could happen.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well it can work if you can simply outclass everybody. In 2007, there was really only one elite team in the competition. We were next, there simply wasn't another team to dutifully turn up the heat on that game style and crack it until one of the greatest sides ever was waiting for us in the GF.

I too had a number 17 Scotty Hodges Crows guernsey as a 6 year old. I gave it away to a cousin when I got a bit too big for it, but I still had a Crows season ticket until 1998, but the only game I went to using it was the away showdown. It was always Port Adelaide for me.

They're an odd case.

Off-field they're very much an unknown on this side of the border, apart from the occasional FSN story, we in Melbourne rarely hear anything from Alberton, and when we do it's usually unrelated to anything on-field (crowd numbers, debts, separate to Magpies etc).

Since the Power's inception, on-field, they've done really well to have been up & around the mark consistantly. Their campaigns in 01-05 & 07 were more than admirable, and they were the best team during the regular season in 02, 03 & 04. But even back then their best players - apart from Tredrea - weren't recognized over here.
Matty Primus, Josh Francou, Burgoyne x2, Cornes x2, Roger James, Brendon Lade, Adam Kingsley, Michael Wilson, Josh Carr, Stuey Dew etc weren't really recognized here. After they won the flag we started taking notice of the Burgoyne's and Cornes', but the only ones everyone knew about were the one's we'd already seen here (Wanganeen, Wakelin, Pickett, Montgomery, Hardwick etc).

This year I don't think anyone knows how they'll go. Personally I'm a big fan of Boak & Gray, I reckon Salopek, Surjan and Pearce are all solid players, Carlile & Chaplin are quality defensive posts & they have a smattering of talented youngsters (D Stewart, Hitchcock, Trengrove, Davenport, Hartlett, Banner, Broadbent).
They've also got those X-factor players (Motlop, Ebert, Philips) and some calm older heads (Cornes x2, Cassisi, Brogan, Rodan).

How Primus brings all that together will be interesting, ATM I've got them 11th in my ladder predictor, could change very quickly though for better or for worse - but that's just Port.

Well it can work if you can simply outclass everybody. In 2007, there was really only one elite team in the competition. We were next, there simply wasn't another team to dutifully turn up the heat on that game style and crack it until one of the greatest sides ever was waiting for us in the GF.

I too had a number 17 Scotty Hodges Crows guernsey as a 6 year old. I gave it away to a cousin when I got a bit too big for it, but I still had a Crows season ticket until 1998, but the only game I went to using it was the away showdown. It was always Port Adelaide for me.

Collingwood did nearly beat them a week before.

But anyway, the GF was a clash of two contrasting styles. Given most teams try to emulate the Premier I am glad Geelong won, all 119 crap aside.

Imagine seeing a whole generation of decent mids turned down on draft day for HB flankers.

I think it's disappointing to see where other supporters' opinions sit, and certainly a little depressing for an actual supporter of the club.

We are the only club outside Victoria to work their way into the national competition on the back of success.

Here is my 2c worth-

a)I think its becoming increasingly obvious that we will always have an identity issue and it will eventually kill of the club...sad to say but for me I think it has been a reality for at least 1-2 years now.

b)I do not like this path we have taken in the past 2 years, the OnePAFC, changing our guernseys and blaming everything on our identity crisis. We didnt seem to have an identity crisis in 2001-2004 when we were winning games.

c)The real problem is Port Adelaide fans who are not used to supporting a "losing team" over an extended period of time, and this has driven them away from supporting us.

d) The rest of Australia has a "who cares" mentality about South Australia in general, and it really hurts both the Crows and Power because unless we are top 4, no one wants to know about us.

TV Rights, bro. Difficult when you only get about 3 games a year on FTA nationally.

As a Crows supporter in Sydney, I can tell you that Adelaide get a similar amount of coverage on FTA. I also feel Port get a fair go in the national media compared with other non-Victorian sides, it's just that the others are more easily identified by the average person in the street due to their being associated with well known cities or entire states.

I do agree with those who say that their identity is confused, and hopefully this Oneclub business helps that. Personally, I'd like to see the Magpies be the Power's reserve side in the SANFL, with the proviso they keep their black and white colours and magpie mascot.

A strong Port Adelaide is good for football in SA, and as much as I love to hate them, they do have an interesting and unique place in football history. I can't help but feel that Collingwood try to undermine that history because of the shared colours and mascot and, to me, this feels petty and should be below what is basically the biggest football club in Australia.

Finally (and this will seem like a massive troll), Port's status as the most supported team in SA pre AFL was built on success and the bandwagon effect. Port's relegation from powerhouse side in the SANFL to just another club in the AFL has hurt their status in South Australia.

They're an odd case.

Off-field they're very much an unknown on this side of the border, apart from the occasional FSN story, we in Melbourne rarely hear anything from Alberton, and when we do it's usually unrelated to anything on-field (crowd numbers, debts, separate to Magpies etc).

Since the Power's inception, on-field, they've done really well to have been up & around the mark consistantly. Their campaigns in 01-05 & 07 were more than admirable, and they were the best team during the regular season in 02, 03 & 04. But even back then their best players - apart from Tredrea - weren't recognized over here.
Matty Primus, Josh Francou, Burgoyne x2, Cornes x2, Roger James, Brendon Lade, Adam Kingsley, Michael Wilson, Josh Carr, Stuey Dew etc weren't really recognized here. After they won the flag we started taking notice of the Burgoyne's and Cornes', but the only ones everyone knew about were the one's we'd already seen here (Wanganeen, Wakelin, Pickett, Montgomery, Hardwick etc).

This year I don't think anyone knows how they'll go. Personally I'm a big fan of Boak & Gray, I reckon Salopek, Surjan and Pearce are all solid players, Carlile & Chaplin are quality defensive posts & they have a smattering of talented youngsters (D Stewart, Hitchcock, Trengrove, Davenport, Hartlett, Banner, Broadbent).
They've also got those X-factor players (Motlop, Ebert, Philips) and some calm older heads (Cornes x2, Cassisi, Brogan, Rodan).

How Primus brings all that together will be interesting, ATM I've got them 11th in my ladder predictor, could change very quickly though for better or for worse - but that's just Port.

Congratulations SouthSwans, you officially know more about the 2011 Port Adelaide side than the entire Victorian and (minus Rooch) South Australian media.

You must do your research and kudos to you for doing so because you couldn't possibly have read any of what you know from a paper.

I take my hat off to you. :thumbsu:

remember the farce of pitiful crowds at their home finals - "oh its the cost" - no, its the lack of real support. sounds familiar ;)

I remember reading at the time of the 02 finals that AFL members in Melbourne could get finals tickets for $8. Every single person that walked through the door at Footy Park had to pay $60. Not really an apples and apples comparison is it.

Not a bad thing to fly under the radar when you are having down years.

I agree there seems to be a bad vibe about the club but they do have some talent there if you look closely and I have a gut feel Primus will be a decent coach.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back