Apple Isle Showdown: Tas Govt threatens to end Hawks, North deals if no plan for 19th side

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apart from having a tiny population, isn't Tassie an economic basketcase?

Generally speaking, no where in Australia is a real economic basket case.

The last few economic reports actually put Tasmania in a good light.

The footy population, State Government support, great stadium deals, are big positives for a team. As they would be for any team in fact.

Crowd of 5381 in Launceston for Hawks vs Brisbane today which is Launceston's lowest ever crowd for a home and away game.

Writing is on the wall for the two Vic clubs

Add a high membership, as every Tassie person will buy one, as well as Tassie people now on the mainland, they can switch their local footy around to accommodate AFL games to get more people there, an AFL team will see more people move to Tas, creates better footy pathways, as they say, if you build it, they'll come

Generally speaking, no where in Australia is a real economic basket case.

The last few economic reports actually put Tasmania in a good light.

The footy population, State Government support, great stadium deals, are big positives for a team. As they would be for any team in fact.

So I see in local news the Tasmanian government is paying a undisclosed amount for the extra games we have received this season including this wknd. i wonder if the Queensland government have had to pay for extra games played up there ??? i highly doubt. I would have thought Tasmania hosting extra games was doing the afl a favour
that explains why they're moving Hawthorn and North Melbourne games to Tassie but not Geelong games to GMHBA

So with collingwood getting a game at Launceston this week, it just leaves the following to go

Melbourne at Launceston
Fremantle at Hobart (yet West Coast has been there 3 times)
Hawthorn at Hobart
Essendon at Hobart
Collingwood at Hobart
Western Bulldogs at Hobart

I can see why the government would be hating the North deal

in 10 years they've seen
North Melbourne vs GWS x5
North Melbourne vs Melbourne x4
North Melbourne vs St Kilda x3
North Melbourne vs Sydney x3
North Melbourne vs West Coast x3

Sure, you gave them Richmond twice (2015-16) but once they came good, nup, gone.

that explains why they're moving Hawthorn and North Melbourne games to Tassie but not Geelong games to GMHBA
So with collingwood getting a game at Launceston this week, it just leaves the following to go

Melbourne at Launceston
Hawthorn at Hobart
Essendon at Hobart
Collingwood at Hobart

in 10 years they've seen

Sure, you gave them Richmond twice (2015-16) but once they came good, nup, gone.
For some reason North has played Hawks lot of times in Launceston but Hawks have never played in Hobart so maybe will happen next year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Melbourne at Launceston
Hawthorn at Hobart
Essendon at Hobart
Collingwood at Hobart

in 10 years they've seen

GWS is well truly responsible for Hobart's lowest AFL crowds but it still doesn't stop the AFL scheduling them in Hobart season after season.

GWS is well truly responsible for Hobart's lowest AFL crowds but it still doesn't stop the AFL scheduling them in Hobart season after season.
scheduling GWS or Gold Coast down there is just an insult to the local populace

For some reason North has played Hawks lot of times in Launceston but Hawks have never played in Hobart so maybe will happen next year.
Doubt it
I bet the North will have a big crowd drawing crowd in their games and very early in the season and think it will be the same for Hawthorn I recon the Tasmanian government will want that there deal .
Then it’s up the supporters of both clubs to attend games in Victoria unless we are in Covid AGAIN Especially supporters of my club.

Because you're the AFLs b*tch and its time you accepted that.

Feeling second hand embarrassment from reading this. You still have time to delete this lol, we won't tell anyone.

I'm interested in supporters allegiances. If I moved permanently to another state I don't know if I could ever fully give up supporting my club considering how ingrained it is into my persona. In saying that, I would imagine to actually see more than one game a year live, I might begin to show an increasing interest in the local team. This could take years though.

I would suggest that this would be the same with the Tasmanian's.

If a new team began in the Apple Isle, I doubt whether die hard supporters of other clubs, could immediately cut all interest and support for their old club. It may happen over time but we are a loyal bunch and interest and investment would need to grow. People may sign up to a membership initially and may even attend a few games in the first season but die-hard fans would take time despite the states interest in the code as a whole.

I'm interested in supporters allegiances. If I moved permanently to another state I don't know if I could ever fully give up supporting my club considering how ingrained it is into my persona. In saying that, I would imagine to actually see more than one game a year live, I might begin to show an increasing interest in the local team. This could take years though.

If a new team began in the Apple Isle, I doubt whether die hard supporters of other clubs, could immediately cut all interest and support for their old club. It may happen over time but we are a loyal bunch and interest and investment would need to grow. People may sign up to a membership initially and may even attend a few games in the first season but die-hard fans would take time despite the states interest in the code as a whole.

Like all professional sport, the want the money. If your heart comes with it, more the better!

So one can still have their heart with the club they've always followed.

A Tassie team firstly would want memberships, the love can wait if need be ;)

I'd buy a membership and be an active supporter of both clubs. The real fun happens in 10-20 years, where you have a whole generation of Tasmanians who have grown up with a local team. With 90k members for existing clubs in Tasmania as-is, the Tasmanian AFL could become quite a powerful club.

I'd buy a membership and be an active supporter of both clubs. The real fun happens in 10-20 years, where you have a whole generation of Tasmanians who have grown up with a local team. With 90k members for existing clubs in Tasmania as-is, the Tasmanian AFL could become quite a powerful club.

The draft & salary cap are meant for equality over time.

Club Culture & a good structure are the main elements a club can control. or should be able to!

Big two days for Tasmania with the AFL to go over the Colin Carter report before making a decision around September on Tassie's AFL future.I hope the AFL make's the findings available to the public as soon as possible, interesting times ahead.

Yeah it’s almost laughable we’re paying stacks of cash for what every other place is getting for free I would have told them to stick there extra games!

The AFL have committed to games in Tas, thats what Tas pays for & if they dont get them why would they pay?
Did they pay in 2020, how many games did you get?

Deals are a 2 way street, no games in Tas, no money paid in sponsorships !!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back