Are Adelaide now in crisis?

Remove this Banner Ad

Well put it this way:

When the Crows biggest on air cheerleader, Stephen Rowe, wants the club to come out and admit they've done dodgy s**t, you know there's an issue.

What Dodgy s**t are you referring to?

I think they should just put the cue in the rack for this year and reset for next year. They will probably only lose Sloane this year, and even that is a still a maybe. They just have too many injuries. Seems they went too hard in preseason training after the long season with the grand final appearance. Maybe the players needed some more rest, as their injury list is nuts. And then guys like Betts in terrible form.

But I think they have a good mix of experience and young guys to come up. Kind of reminds me of the Western Bulldogs of 2016 where they were forced into playing all their young guys which gave them a heap of depth and went a long way to helping them win the flag that year when all their experience came back in that second half of the season.

I think if the Crows just forget about rushing anyone back in, send whoever they need to for surgery, just play the young guys and finish outside the 8 or if they are lucky maybe the bottom half of the 8. Have a long pre season at the end of the year and concentrate on having their full team back next year with these young guys like Fogarty and Doedee injected into the side with their experienced players who will come back, they could have a real go at the 2019 flag.

Adelaide are cooked for 2018. Will probably need to win 7 from the last 9 just to scrape into the 8.

Flogged by Melbourne, lost to GWS at home, lost to Freo, flogged by Hawthorn. Us at AO, Richmond at the G, Geelong at AO the next 3. Need to get a bunch of players back and completely turn around their form over the bye which is a huge ask, and their recent losses have been easier games on paper.

They have their own first round pick plus Melbourne's first and Carlton's second, so on current ladder positions they'll have picks 8, 14 and 19. If the Crows keep losing they'll drop as low as 13th/14th boosting their pick to 5 or 6. Melbourne and Carlton are about where they'll finish so I wouldn't expect their picks to change. Good opportunity for the Crows to get 3 top 20 picks onto their list (potentially more Sloane or McGovern leave) and plan for the future, then re-load for next year when they have a full list available.

Lynch too but McGovern is under contract and would command quite a ransom if he really wants out but I wouldn't believe much of Sam 'Scoops s**t up' McLure reports.

Must be true if SEN report it. Evertime the story is told it gets a little more mayo spread on it.

It’s more that what happened never truely came out, all that people know is, they crossed the line and did some ****ed up s**t that the players weren’t happy about.

Parts of that are coming out now with the hijacking of the bus, blindfolds, hostage situation and apparatuses used.

Whatever happened, obviously had a large effect on the mentality/culture of the club to deteroriotate so heavily in 6 months.

What Dodgy s**t are you referring to?

1) The Collective Minds camp last year that severely head*ed a lot of players by bringing up Walshy's and Sam Jacobs brother's deaths (which also pissed off the indigenous players tenfold) and had them blindfolded on a bus listening to the Richmond song on repeat. Eddie couldn't get in contact with his heavily pregnant wife. The whole CM thing when you look into is dodgy AF.

2) The chronic injuries and the sweeping under the carpet about it. Sam Gibson never missed a game at North. Goes to the Crows and he's missed plenty of games due to injury already. Then there's Brad Crouch's groin issue. Don Pyke denies BCrouch has OP. BCouch the next day comes out and says he's got OP. Hamstring awareness is another thing.

3) Last year, Lever left because he got lowballed big time by the Crows. Mitch McGovern signed a new deal under the pretense that there's no money left to give him. Then Bryce Gibbs gets signed on a lot more money and between that and the camp, he now wants out (according to McClure). There's been rumours for awhile now that a lot of players want out (McGovern, Sloane, Lynch, Hampton) and even Betts reportedly isn't happy at the club.

I think they should just put the cue in the rack for this year and reset for next year. They will probably only lose Sloane this year, and even that is a still a maybe. They just have too many injuries. Seems they went too hard in preseason training after the long season with the grand final appearance. Maybe the players needed some more rest, as their injury list is nuts. And then guys like Betts in terrible form.

Their fitness department is atrocious and won't change until Birdman and that bloke he brought over from Brisbane get the boot. As a Port supporter I hope they stay forever but the Crows would do well getting rid of them. A lot of senior players reportedly want out so it might not be a case of the Crows just needing to go again next year. Betts is in terrible form because something behind the scenes isn't right that much is obvious.

But I think they have a good mix of experience and young guys to come up. Kind of reminds me of the Western Bulldogs of 2016 where they were forced into playing all their young guys which gave them a heap of depth and went a long way to helping them win the flag that year when all their experience came back in that second half of the season.

The Bulldogs had no expectations, a great coach, things were at least stable behind the scenes and their young core were actually good. Completely opposite situation at the Crows.

I think if the Crows just forget about rushing anyone back in, send whoever they need to for surgery, just play the young guys and finish outside the 8 or if they are lucky maybe the bottom half of the 8. Have a long pre season at the end of the year and concentrate on having their full team back next year with these young guys like Fogarty and Doedee injected into the side with their experienced players who will come back, they could have a real go at the 2019 flag.

I don't think it's going to be that simple for the Crows and I feel they'll be going through a few years of pain like the Eagles did after 07. They need a reset in a lot of areas in that club if they want to be successful in the near future.

Port only attract duds anyway. I’m sure the entire football world were chasing after jack watts or motlop or the magnificent can’t kick a goal key forward because my beard isn’t straight Charlie Dixon. Lindsey Thomas and Mckenzie, all guys who wouldn’t get a game at any other club because they are soft and mediocre...but that is exactly how port are, only look good with an easy draw

Logan Austin
Jack Steele
Shane Savage
Koby Stevens

All stars

They're pretty s**t atm. Can still make finals if they improve after the bye, but that seems unlikely. Could be a few years out of the 8 ahead. Oh well.

Well if you’re in the know please share it! Were you there? Do you know what happened?

Whether it be AFL or NFL losses in the final game often cripple a team the next season. This is nothing new and I called it after the Grand Final. Add a ridiculously bad run of injuries with that and it’s not exactly surprising we’ve had/are having a s**t season. How did Port fare after the massive 2007 Grand Final loss?

Injuries doesn’t change effort.. how was your tackling, pressure and all the other metrics that can’t be hidden behind the injury excuse.

Hawks set a record 16 clearances in a row in the 3rd quarter, that’s effort; tackling and pressure.

There’s something majorly wrong right now.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Love how the beneficiary of the go home factor believes stating facts is "whining". From the club that had Gunston, Mitchell, Henderson just to name a few playing last night?

Your team delisted hendo first.

I switched 5DoubleCrow off years ago and swore off spending a single cent on Rupert's toe rags because I had better things to do than let myself be annoyed by biased idiots.

The big magic trick of the SA media is alienating two opposing footy supporter bases with delusions of persecution, all the while feeding the notion that they actually secretly support the other club.

Somehow 5AA makes Port people think Rowe, Bickley and Dillon are peddling anti-Port hatred, while the Port Media Manager, Rooch and Kornes leave Crows people wondering why they bother listening to obvious Port propaganda.

That's some feat.

Things are never as bad as they seem.

Personally I'd put the cue in the rack for this year if they don't beat the Eagles but otherwise whilst the list of changes needed are long they aren't necessarily all that bad.

- Get the vibe of the place sorted. That's priority number 1. Not always easy to do but far from impossible. Richmond did it in one move - bringing in Balmey and backing Hardwick. Adelaide have been excellent at drafting and developing players for a long time now. There's got to be a lot of successful people in their organisation. It might be as simple as changing the communication style or involving the players more in certain things.

Then address the perceived problems
- Churn the assistant coaches
- Fix the fitness mess
- Make the calls on Sloane and Lynch
- Make the right call on the future ruckman
- Draft with 3 top 20 or so picks
- Find a few more gems in trades

Get the ruck and B Crouch right and the midfield will look after itself
The backline still has a lot of very good players and Smith will help there
Forward line needs a retool but it's a long way from completely ruined

Injuries doesn’t change effort.. how was your tackling, pressure and all the other metrics that can’t be hidden behind the injury excuse.

Hawks set a record 16 clearances in a row in the 3rd quarter, that’s effort; tackling and pressure.

There’s something majorly wrong right now.

Just to emphasise the point...

Crows, 2017
#1 in contested possessions per game
#2 in clearances per game
#2 in tackles per game

Crows, 2018
#2 in contested possessions per game
#9 in clearances per game
#12 in tackles per game

Shows how bloody crucial Rory Sloane is to their fortunes, as he's their leader in those areas of the game.

Um, what?
3 long bomb goals from the half back line on Saturday night.
Not pinch-hitting up forwards. From the backline.

Who was the last defender to kick 3 goals in a game?
Has a defender ever been the leading goalkicker in an AFL game?

Sicily is a monty to be named in the All Australian team.

Problem there is what do they stand for? They were formed to keep Port out of the competition, a failure in itself and it seems a culture of mediocrity has infected the club for the last twenty years. For the most part finishing above Port and winning a final is seen as a decent season and mostly this is rewarded generously with a strong profit, making little incentive for real change.
Profit. That is what they stand for and are measured by. A cash cow for the sanfl. nothing more. This is the real problem. It's no coincidence that the only time they have excelled was when port was admitted to the afl and they finally pulled their finger out and snagged a couple. If you haven't lived in adelaide before you wouldn't understand the self consuming hatred they have for port.
Anyway they are in more trouble than the early settlers now.
Even tex was ready to walk out on the club when they sacrificed his best mate to the demons. A good example of how they treat their players.

3 long bomb goals from the half back line on Saturday night.
Not pinch-hitting up forwards. From the backline.

Who was the last defender to kick 3 goals in a game?
Has a defender ever been the leading goalkicker in an AFL game?

Sicily is a monty to be named in the All Australian team.
Aren't Hawthorn the only team to loose to Brisbane this year? Everyone is beating the Crows at the moment and you are not the first to beat them by a lot.

The big magic trick of the SA media is alienating two opposing footy supporter bases with delusions of persecution, all the while feeding the notion that they actually secretly support the other club.

Somehow 5AA makes Port people think Rowe, Bickley and Dillon are peddling anti-Port hatred, while the Port Media Manager, Rooch and Kornes leave Crows people wondering why they bother listening to obvious Port propaganda.

That's some feat.

So is moral relativism. Please.

The two supporter bases are quite different, and the two clubs'... "voices" in the media are also quite different in their distribution and their approach.

There never will be "Port equivalents" to Cornes or Rowe... let alone to Jars on MMM or Warren Partland in print. Rooch started life as a Port fan, but he's prepared to sink the boot in to anyone who won't give him the scoop - when Keith closed off a certain very leaky mouth at the club some years back when Port were most definitely in crisis, Rooch let fly for months while his club was just about being burned down. Anything, just to try to force folks to talk to him. Tim Ginever, when he's around, has a personality in inverse proportion to his height ;) but never, ever hides his Port origins, how could he, it just wouldn't make sense would it? Kane is a relatively polished performer so a comparison with "Elbows" Bickley seems close on the surface, but of all these folks only one is an employee in the pay of their former club yet affecting the appearance of an impartial journalist at the same time. Port's media manager comes on and delivers "obvious Port propaganda", because it's their pre-announced job, and you're surprised, but Bicks doing the same for the Crows with a veneer of journalistic pretence is somehow at the same level of honesty, rather than rotten #fakenews factory Adelaide Crows style? As for Roo commenting on games and free kick decisions for and against his own well lets just say Eddie Mc does all that a whole lot better :eek:

As for all "your" part timers in the media I admire the Crows getting around "cash for comments" rules with their ambassador program, but it's a corrupt and corrupting culture in the end that goes way past the formally paid and the openly biased or partly crazy folks mentioned above. There's Smithson, Crows Ambassador, parking himself outside Ryder's house for days, for naught. Elspeth, Crows match day host extraordinaire, leaving a disgraceful trail of verbage on the interwebs now "associated with" young Sam Powell-Pepper's name forever. Culture.

Anyways. It's clearly not a crisis if you don't feel the need to change anything because its all the same, right? :p

Just to emphasise the point...

Crows, 2017
#1 in contested possessions per game
#2 in clearances per game
#2 in tackles per game

Crows, 2018
#2 in contested possessions per game
#9 in clearances per game
#12 in tackles per game

Shows how bloody crucial Rory Sloane is to their fortunes, as he's their leader in those areas of the game.

Interesting numbers. In general a #1 midfielder ends up taking the "worst" or most of the "attention" which can help others get away just a little easier.

Specifically with the Crows, earlier last year when the Crows did get beaten IIRC it would usually be when someone very deliberately targeted Sloane and his numbers would be down. So there is or was a greater than usual dependency on him. A year later who knows if their younger inside mids have developed further, we haven't really seen both Crouches on the park fully fit this season have we? Parking that for a moment I actually think they miss Brodie Smith's carry as much as Sloane's gets.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back