News Armo, Simpkin & Steven re-sign

Remove this Banner Ad

with regard to the other post regarding matthew drain and lovett, I thought drain quit the saints because they went against him in signing lovett, he didnt want lovett, correct me if im wrong.

This is the same bloke who doesn't have a gig in footy any more?

My understanding was he got the arse because of the lack of due diligence on Lovett. He was given credit for the recruitment and managing the cap to fit him in.

Ross Lyon says due diligence (on Lovett) was done. "It was a thorough process. There were a couple of sit downs with me and the list manager (Matthew Drain) and with our senior players and we referenced a great deal of people from his previous football club"

Essendon set to interview former North Melbourne coach Dean Laidley
By Tony Sheahan
Sunday Herald Sun
September 12, 2010 12:00AM

Meanwhile, another member of Ross Lyon's football department is preparing to leave St Kilda. The club's head of list management and recruiting Matthew Drain has informed the Saints he will leave at season's end.

Drain is the third person in as many months to resign from the club, following former assistant coach Tony Elshaug's shock resignation, and Stephen Silvagni's defection to Greater Western Sydney.

On top of this the most glaring indicator is the fact he rejected a multi year deal and instead requested a 1 year contract, in which he signed very very late. As soon as Ross is out the door, he's got pen to paper on a multi year deal. Silver lining indeed.

do we know it is multi year? he only signed a 1 year deal last year. he could have done that again?

This is the same bloke who doesn't have a gig in footy any more?

My understanding was he got the arse because of the lack of due diligence on Lovett. He was given credit for the recruitment and managing the cap to fit him in.

Ross Lyon says due diligence (on Lovett) was done. "It was a thorough process. There were a couple of sit downs with me and the list manager (Matthew Drain) and with our senior players and we referenced a great deal of people from his previous football club"

Its pretty simple really. Everyone knew Lovett was a lowlife prick, they thought it would be at least a year or two before he got booted off the team for it.

do we know it is multi year? he only signed a 1 year deal last year. he could have done that again?

Im only putting 2 and 2 together. But i don't understand why he would sign for 1 so quickly, when you'd think he'd be exploring his options. IIRC he left it really late last year, wasn't even an announcement either.

But yeah very annoying how they don't mention the lengths.

Andreoli? Quite liked him the one time I saw him.

He's a decent footballer for VFL, but not sure he looks a chance of playing 20+ AFL games.

Can only retain 3, so on the basis Walsh is elevated I'd be going for Jacko, Cat and Darch.

I'm still not convinced on Everitt. Certainly can't see why the saints were all "Everitt or bust " during the Lovett negotiations.
I know, just making a point. Riewoldt could've been an Everitt

Remove this Banner Ad

Back