News Armo, Simpkin & Steven re-sign

Remove this Banner Ad

Would think it's likely Dawson will be traded, he go thte flick from Hawthorn when Pelchen was running the show there, maybe Simmo is a straight swap and a lot cheaper.

We have probably freed up 350K from Baker leaving, along with another 250K from Mc Q.

It would be a shame to see him leave, but he has a lot more currency as a tradeable player in our list than many others. Tom Lynch could be another. Is still very young but has shown some potential as a forward or a defender. It's a shame but I guess its the reality of our situation. We have to give to receive.

Great start to a Friday.

Happy re Gilbert too. I think with Lyon gone and a quiet off season he will pick back up from 2010.

From my list its these guys....

Jason Blake
Raphael Clarke
Farren Ray
Dean Polo
Zac Dawson
Clint Jones
Ryan Gamble
Sean Dempster
Tommy Walsh
Tom Curren - Might have already re-signed as was negotiating new contract

And possibly these guys....

Jarryn Geary
Will Johnson
Paul Cahill - Possibly2011
Tom Lynch - Have feeling 2012
Daniel Archer - Possibly 2011
Jackson Ferguson - Possibly 2011
Warrick Andreoli - Possibly 2011

I really can't see any of these players being targeted by other clubs. Should be able to sign them all on contracts favorable to the club, freeing up funds for BJ if needed, or going after someone.

Still Don't think Armo has any more to offer. People complain about his half forward role, but he was given time in the middle early in the year and simply is to inconsistent at finding the footy. To be honest disappointed to have signed him up, would have delayed until after trade week. He is not as good or isn't going to be as good as everypone hopes simple as that.

Very pleased with the other 2 signings

Still Don't think Armo has any more to offer. People complain about his half forward role, but he was given time in the middle early in the year and simply is to inconsistent at finding the footy. To be honest disappointed to have signed him up, would have delayed until after trade week. He is not as good or isn't going to be as good as everypone hopes simple as that.

I reckon that if we gave Armo consistent time in the middle, he would find consistency in finding the footy. Would love to throw Armo in the deep end for a whole season and then judge whether he is up to it or not. Should be in there before players like Polo, no questions asked.

I reckon that if we gave Armo consistent time in the middle, he would find consistency in finding the footy. Would love to throw Armo in the deep end for a whole season and then judge whether he is up to it or not. Should be in there before players like Polo, no questions asked.
Exactly, you can't chuck him in for a couple of games and move him if he's inconsistent, you have to allow him time to adapt and find consistency.

What did BJ say on The Footy Show last night?

http://www.saints.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/5315/newsid/123975/default.aspx

Brendon Goddard has outlined that he is totally committed to the Saints and wants to be a part of the Club’s future.

Speaking on the Footy Show last night, Goddard was adamant he wanted to remain a Saint.

“I’m happy at St Kilda…I’m a contracted St Kilda player and I want to be at the footy club and take the club forward," said Goddard.

The 26 year old said he couldn’t control media speculation, but was firm in stating, that he was contracted until the end of 2012.

"I haven’t had a call from my manager at all, so as far as I know I’m contracted at St Kilda for next year and I’m still a listed player."

He also got very uncomfortable when they were questioning him about it with "would you look at an offer" type questions (as you'd expect) and he seemed taken by surprise when they mentioned St Kilda's salary cap issues. Apparently - was news to me - we are over our salary cap, not a massive issue though according to AFL and we'll have time to work it down back under.

If we get cute with Farren Ray and Sean Dempster, other clubs will be all over it.

Dempster has had a breakout year, and would be the sort who can still add to his game with a bit of confidence, especially with his kicking for goal (although he started going for contested marks late in 2011 which we haven't seen before).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pretty happy that Armo has re-sighned, though I still consider him a dud draft pick compared to Nathan Brown, James Frawley, Jack Riewoldt, Shaun Hampson, who were taken pretty straight after him in the draft.
But if we hadn't picked Armo, we'd have probably gone for Spider's little brother who we still seemed to have a fixation on a couple of years back.

Ray could be trade bait

That's fine, and cap pressure may make us more willing to cut deals, but it would want to be a good offer. Very under-rated, the Faz.

Pretty happy that Armo has re-sighned, though I still consider him a dud draft pick compared to Nathan Brown, James Frawley, Jack Riewoldt, Shaun Hampson, who were taken pretty straight after him in the draft.
But if we hadn't picked Armo, we'd have probably gone for Spider's little brother who we still seemed to have a fixation on a couple of years back.

We need to accept and move on from the fact that (nothing against Armo) the club completely _ucked up the 2006 draft.

you never know , now without Lyin around, he might play differently and better

Lyon (and probably Drain) were the ones chasing Lovett.

We now have a team of recruiters, which includes Bevo, along with spotters that we neverhad before.

We are paying a price for the club's finances at the time.

Got dropped last year when he was not our worst, was BOG in the VFL but was ignored. Then played in shithouse conditions but was on the way to another BOG before doing his knee and wrecking his season.

Lyon crapped on about 4 year apprenticeships and then threw Cripps, Siposs and Ledger in pretty much straight away.

Meanwhile Armo (after all those years) gets to play that silly little defensive forward thing despite Hayes being out pretty much all year.

Yeah, he'd be gutted that Lyon has left.

On top of this the most glaring indicator is the fact he rejected a multi year deal and instead requested a 1 year contract, in which he signed very very late. As soon as Ross is out the door, he's got pen to paper on a multi year deal. Silver lining indeed.

wouldnt have thought armo and jack riewoldt were in the same draft year the saints would have grabbed jack if they had a chance I could be wrong but dont think so.

with regard to the other post regarding matthew drain and lovett, I thought drain quit the saints because they went against him in signing lovett, he didnt want lovett, correct me if im wrong.

wouldnt have thought armo and jack riewoldt were in the same draft year the saints would have grabbed jack if they had a chance I could be wrong but dont think so.

with regard to the other post regarding matthew drain and lovett, I thought drain quit the saints because they went against him in signing lovett, he didnt want lovett, correct me if im wrong.
2006 AFL Draft
Armo pick 9
Riewoldt pick 13

Remove this Banner Ad

Back