Game Day Around The Grounds Rounds 11 - 15

Remove this Banner Ad

Footy.

ecc67bd8c7dac104a7229547fff23859.jpg

Liam Jones is still iffy with ball in hand.

Probably still take him over young, but still he some real bad handling errors.

Liam Jones is still iffy with ball in hand.

Probably still take him over young, but still he some real bad handling errors.
He is far and away light years ahead of Young. Even with those brain farts that Jones was prone to having, he and Weiters formed a good partnership that we’d still be benefiting from if he was there.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Felt like the right result, Sydney did what they needed to.

Got to feel for Naughton. Looked terrible.

I’m going to zag on that one. The Dogs had far more possessions, inside 50s and scoring shots despite being down 3 players and having to use the sub in the first quarter.

Whilst I’ve always thought Sydney will make finals this year, they are no super team IMO, and are currently benefitting from continuity - 17 players have played every game - once they start having injuries I expect them to come back to the pack pretty quickly.

He is far and away light years ahead of Young. Even with those brain farts that Jones was prone to having, he and Weiters formed a good partnership that we’d still be benefiting from if he was there.
Not even a contest. Young doesn't even deserve to be mentioned in the same sentence.

On the game itself, Swans did what they needed. What impressed me (dodgy 50m aside) was the way they iced the game with minutes to go. Didn't panic, knew exactly what to do.
Contrast that with us. People saying we grew and matured in our tight finishes last year. I call bulldust on that. We got lucky. Pure and simple. In those tight matches last year and the Richmond one this year, we either allowed for repeat inside 50s or let the ball live in opposition 50 and tried to hold on. That Melbourne game for example, just kept conceding the deliberate and let them bring the ball back inside 50. Salem had a clear shot on goal that fell a few metres short (and was offline), Petracca was touched on the line. We were lucky. The GC game, we let Noah Anderson free goal side from a stoppage inside 50 that gave him a running shot at goal. He missed. We were lucky. Richmond game this year we just let the ball live inside their 50 and held on. Collingwood game, a bit like GC game we let Daicos goal side only this time he didn't miss. Point is Swans are a professional unit who know what to do. We still rely on luck. We rode that luck all the way to the Prelim last year but luck alone wont take you all the way.
Don't get me wrong, we played some brilliant footy too but a couple of things go against us and that indrecible run would not have happened. We still have heaps to learn.

Josh Treacy, from the Jack Newnes pocket...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back