Religion Ask a Christian - Continued in Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The genealogy of Jesus Christ outlined in Matthew is clearly fictional and is little more than a theological construct (i.e largely if not wholly invented) rather than factual history. Matthew's is neatly arranged into three sets of fourteen which is very convenient.The first fourteen is from Abraham to David. The second fourteen spans the Davidic royal line, but omits several generations, such as three consecutive kings of Judah - Ahaziah, Jehoash and Amaziah. These three kings were seen as especially wicked, from the cursed line of Ahab through his daughter Athaliah to the third and fourth generation, so of course wouldn't want to be associated with the 'Messiah'. The Davidic line ends with "Jeconiah and his brothers at the time of the exile to Babylon". The last fourteen, which appears to span only thirteen generations, connects the father of Jesus, (Joseph) to Zerubbabel through a series of otherwise unknown names. Indeed there are remarkably few names for such a long period.

The total of 42 generations is achieved only by omitting several names, so the choice of three sets of fourteen is deliberate. Fourteen is twice seven symbolizing perfection and covenant, and is also the gematria (numerical value) of the name David.

Matthew and Luke also have vastly different genealogies. 55 generations from Abraham to Jesus in Luke and 42 (14.14.14 as I pointed out above) for Matthew. Did Matthew leave some of the ancestors of Jesus out? Their motive is also clear - the Gospel writers wanted to demonstrate that Jesus qualified as a Messiah partly because of his descent from King David (as per the so-called 'prophecy').

The Gospel writers invented 'fulfilled prophecies' for Jesus and it's clear the Gospels were theological constructs. As recorders of historical truth, they are spectacularly unreliable.
Do you find it interesting that they didn't edit out this clear discrepancy? There has been plenty of time to fix, amend, or at least get their stories straight!

I remember reading somewhere that the Roman head honcho was getting really pissed off with the "life of Brian" type scenario in that area, where a whole heap of groups were at each others throats as well as disturbing the peace in general so the Supreme Commander, I can't recall his name at the moment, ordered the various "scholars" of those sects/groups, to get together and write a manuscript in collaboration with each other which all of the sects could follow. Otherwise, he assured them, he would wipe them all out so nearly 100 years after the death of Jesus, these "scholars" got together and wrote what is now known as the Bible.

And obviously you knew that to be crap and just listened and read main academia
from then on in and vowed to stay away from you tube for evermore.

It's an accepted fact by modern scholars of Theology that the Bible was written between 90 and 100 years after the death of Jesus.

If I had the time, I'd research that which I presented earlier and has stuck in my memory to present a more detailed description of the characters involved and the exact time. What I am absolutely sure about is that the factions who were antagonistic towards each other were indeed "requested", to get together and collaborate on a manuscript that was accepted by all factions by the Roman client King at the time to quell the unrest between these various sects/factions which was an irritation to the governing body of that area.

The earliest Gospel is around 60 to 70 AD Main stream academia seen to be moving the Gospels earlier than later.

The Bible was not finalised around 380AD if that’s what you are getting at.

Do you find it interesting that they didn't edit out this clear discrepancy? There has been plenty of time to fix, amend, or at least get their stories straight!
EXACTLY. That very factor has always made me think it is genuine, as are many other discrepancies, as are some of the very difficult things to grasp.

You may have PTSD.

“You “

You comes from the Proto-Germanic demonstrative base *juz-, *iwwiz from PIE *yu- (second person plural pronoun).[1] Old English had singular, dual, and plural second-person pronouns. The dual form was lost by the twelfth century,[2]:117 and the singular form form was lost by the early 1600s.[3] The development is shown in the following table.[2]:117, 120, 121

Second-person pronoun in Old English, Midde English, & Modern English
Singular Dual Plural
OE ME Mod OE ME Mod OE ME Mod
Nominative þu þu ġit ġe ȝē you
Accusative þe þē inc ēow ȝou
Dative
Genitive þīn þī(n) incer ēower ȝour(es) your(s)
Early Modern English distinguished between the plural ye and the singular thou. As in many other European languages, English at the time had a T–V distinction, which made the plural forms more respectful and deferential; they were used to address strangers and social superiors.[4] This distinction ultimately led to familiar thou becoming obsolete in modern English, although it persists in some English dialects.

Yourself had developed by the early 14th century, with the plural yourselves

“May”

expressing possibility.
"that may be true"
used to ask for or to give permission.
"you may confirm my identity with your Case Officer, if you wish"

“have”

possess, own, or hold.
"he had a new car and a boat"

PTSD

exposure to a traumatic event, such as sexual assault, warfare, traffic collisions, child abuse, or other threats on a person's life.[1][6] Symptoms may include disturbing thoughts, feelings, or dreams related to the events, mental or physical distress to trauma-related cues, attempts to avoid trauma-related cues, alterations in the way a person thinks and feels, and an increase in the fight-or-flight response.[1][3] These symptoms last for more than a month after the event.[1] Young children are less likely to show distress, but instead may express their memories through play.[1] A person with PTSD is at a higher risk of suicide and intentional self-harm.[2][7]

Post-traumatic stress disorder
A mask, painted by a Marine who attends art therapy to relieve post-traumatic stress disorder symptoms, USMC-120503-M-9426J-001.jpg
Art therapy project created by a U.S. Marine with post-traumatic stress disorder
Specialty
Psychiatry, clinical psychology
Symptoms
Disturbing thoughts, feelings, or dreams related to the event; mental or physical distress to trauma-related cues; efforts to avoid trauma-related situations; increased fight-or-flight response[1]
Complications
Self-harm, suicide[2]
Duration
> 1 month[1]
Causes
Exposure to a traumatic event[1]
Diagnostic method
Based on symptoms[2]
Treatment
Counseling, medication[3]
Medication
Selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor[4]
Frequency
8.7% (lifetime risk); 3.5% (12-month risk) (US)[5]
Most people who experience traumatic events do not develop PTSD.[2] People who experience interpersonal trauma such as rape or child abuse are more likely to develop PTSD as compared to people who experience non-assault based trauma, such as accidents and natural disasters.[8] About half of people develop PTSD following rape.[2][9][disputed – discuss] Children are less likely than adults to develop PTSD after trauma, especially if they are under 10 years of age.[10] Diagnosis is based on the presence of specific symptoms following a traumatic event.[2]

Prevention may be possible when counselling is targeted at those with early symptoms but is not effective when provided to all trauma-exposed individuals whether or not symptoms are present.[2] The main treatments for people with PTSD are counselling (psychotherapy) and medication.[3][11] Antidepressants of the selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor type are the first-line medications used for PTSD and are beneficial for about half of people.[4] Benefits from medication are less than those seen with counselling.[2] It is not known whether using medications and counselling together has greater benefit than either method separately.[2][12] Medications, other than SSRIs, do not have enough evidence to support their use and, in the case of benzodiazepines, may worsen outcomes.[13][14]

In the United States, about 3.5% of adults have PTSD in a given year, and 9% of people develop it at some point in their life.[1] In much of the rest of the world, rates during a given year are between 0.5% and 1%.[1] Higher rates may occur in regions of armed conflict.[2] It is more common in women than men.[3] Symptoms of trauma-related mental disorders have been documented since at least the time of the ancient Greeks.[15] During the world wars, the condition was known under various terms including "shell shock" and "combat neurosis".[16] The term "post-traumatic stress disorder" came into use in the 1970s in large part due to the diagnoses of U.S. military veterans of the Vietnam War.[17] It was officially recognized by the American Psychiatric Association in 1980 in the third edition of the Diagnostic and...

So no and I’ll post anyway I like in case you are asking.

EXACTLY. That very factor has always made me think it is genuine, as are many other discrepancies, as are some of the very difficult things to grasp.

You absolutely have to be mad to do that, there's nothing in the modern Bibles today that resembles the early scriptures.

1_eU-bbEz3pwKozqJil3-dCQ.jpeg

“You “

You comes from the Proto-Germanic demonstrative base *juz-, *iwwiz from PIE *yu- (second person plural pronoun).[1] Old English had singular, dual, and plural second-person pronouns. The dual form was lost by the twelfth century,[2]:117 and the singular form form was lost by the early 1600s.[3] The development is shown in the following table.[2]:117, 120, 121

Singular Dual Plural
Dative
Early Modern English distinguished between the plural ye and the singular thou. As in many other European languages, English at the time had a T–V distinction, which made the plural forms more respectful and deferential; they were used to address strangers and social superiors.[4] This distinction ultimately led to familiar thou becoming obsolete in modern English, although it persists in some English dialects.

“May”

expressing possibility.
"that may be true"

“have”

possess, own, or hold.

PTSD

exposure to a traumatic event, such as sexual assault, warfare, traffic collisions, child abuse, or other threats on a person's life.[1][6] Symptoms may include disturbing thoughts, feelings, or dreams related to the events, mental or physical distress to trauma-related cues, attempts to avoid trauma-related cues, alterations in the way a person thinks and feels, and an increase in the fight-or-flight response.[1][3] These symptoms last for more than a month after the event.[1] Young children are less likely to show distress, but instead may express their memories through play.[1] A person with PTSD is at a higher risk of suicide and intentional self-harm.[2][7]

A mask, painted by a Marine who attends art therapy to relieve post-traumatic stress disorder symptoms, USMC-120503-M-9426J-001.jpg
Art therapy project created by a U.S. Marine with post-traumatic stress disorder
Specialty
Symptoms
Disturbing thoughts, feelings, or dreams related to the event; mental or physical distress to trauma-related cues; efforts to avoid trauma-related situations; increased fight-or-flight response[1]
Complications
Self-harm, suicide[2]
Duration
> 1 month[1]
Causes
Diagnostic method
Based on symptoms[2]
Treatment
Medication
Frequency
Most people who experience traumatic events do not develop PTSD.[2] People who experience interpersonal trauma such as rape or child abuse are more likely to develop PTSD as compared to people who experience non-assault based trauma, such as accidents and natural disasters.[8] About half of people develop PTSD following rape.[2][9][disputed – discuss] Children are less likely than adults to develop PTSD after trauma, especially if they are under 10 years of age.[10] Diagnosis is based on the presence of specific symptoms following a traumatic event.[2]

Prevention may be possible when counselling is targeted at those with early symptoms but is not effective when provided to all trauma-exposed individuals whether or not symptoms are present.[2] The main treatments for people with PTSD are counselling (psychotherapy) and medication.[3][11] Antidepressants of the selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor type are the first-line medications used for PTSD and are beneficial for about half of people.[4] Benefits from medication are less than those seen with counselling.[2] It is not known whether using medications and counselling together has greater benefit than either method separately.[2][12] Medications, other than SSRIs, do not have enough evidence to support their use and, in the case of benzodiazepines, may worsen outcomes.[13][14]

In the United States, about 3.5% of adults have PTSD in a given year, and 9% of people develop it at some point in their life.[1] In much of the rest of the world, rates during a given year are between 0.5% and 1%.[1] Higher rates may occur in regions of armed conflict.[2] It is more common in women than men.[3] Symptoms of trauma-related mental disorders have been documented since at least the time of the ancient Greeks.[15] During the world wars, the condition was known under various terms including "shell shock" and "combat neurosis".[16] The term "post-traumatic stress disorder" came into use in the 1970s in large part due to the diagnoses of U.S. military veterans of the Vietnam War.[17] It was officially recognized by the American Psychiatric Association in 1980 in the third edition of the Diagnostic and...

Enough to cause some "HaemmoRoyds"

“You “

Singular Dual Plural
Dative

“May”

expressing possibility.
"that may be true"

“have”

possess, own, or hold.

PTSD

Specialty
Symptoms
Complications
Self-harm, suicide[2]
Duration
> 1 month[1]
Causes
Diagnostic method
Based on symptoms[2]
Treatment
Medication
Frequency

Autism is a possibility.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

"The fact that the bible has so many errors proves that it was authored by a perfect god."
It was never authored by God, but by men, trying to show mankind how God wants us to behave and how to find Him.
If we were not really given free will, what sort of world would we live in?
Hard to fathom.

It was never authored by God, but by men, trying to show mankind how God wants us to behave and how to find Him.
Hard to fathom.
We'd be sex robots for god. Instead, Mary was a sex robot for god.

Mary took one for the team. It's a little creepy to think that a billion year old god impregnated a teen girl, but those were different times with different morals.

Thankfully society has moved on.

Hard to fathom.
You mean authored by sinners who changed the scriptures to fit their political goal?

This is what i have been saying for the last 300 pages. Congrats on finally getting it. Sinners are sinning.

You realise KJV and NIV version of the bible got nothing to do with the original scriptures yes?

You mean authored by sinners who changed the scriptures to fit their political goal?

This is what i have been saying for the last 300 pages. Congrats on finally getting it. Sinners are sinning.

You realise KJV and NIV version of the bible got nothing to do with the original scriptures yes?
Whatever.
But don't ignore the message of the gospel wrt SIN.

Whatever.
But don't ignore the message of the gospel wrt SIN.

Sin..which is an Augustinian concept? the verses in regards to righteousness and sinfulness was all written in the 6th century to fit the purpose of the church and prophecy of the OT. You can whatever me as you want. this is a fact.

The bible you are reading now, got little to do with the original manuscripts. Matthew for example has 2% of it's original text preserved.

He's a brilliant mind and poster, and a historian, I believe.
But I did enjoy your attempt.

At least his last theory involved Christianity beginning in 33 AD. That was a huge step for him if you had seen where he had come from.
Just hard work that’s all. Feels like he’s marking an essay. School teachers will be school teachers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back