Aussies will fail in World Cup Bid

Remove this Banner Ad

dyertribe said:
The only advantage AFC teams have is that they regularly play together and in meaningful matches, and thus can gel and build/adapt a style of play/tweaked formations/set piece combinations together/team spirit.

As far as individual talent goes, we are streets ahead of Asia, CONCACAF and most African nations.

Right now our boys play a couple of friendlies months before the qualifiers, then sit in transit lounges worldwide waiting for other results, get into camp 1-3 days before the big game and are expected to come out and beat teams that have played upwards of 18 qualifiers on their way to playing us.

Once we finally get into Asia on a fulltime basis, many of these problems will be rectified and we can begin competing on an even keel.

All true.

At the end of the day, whilst there have been times over the past 30 years when we were either very unlucky not to make it or simply not good enough, it can never hide the fact that we've been screwed over by the game's administrators in this time. We've NEVER been given a fair go- never given the chance to prepare ourselves as other teams have been able to do.

I laughed when people ridiculed Oceania getting a direct WC place in 2002 (which was then taken away), saying that it was so easy. Well, just look at the Asian qualifiers- four teams already have qualified and their places were never in any real doubt. Likewise just look at the CONCACAF and COMNEBOL qualifiers, it's actually not that hard to qualify if you're a half decent side- unlike Europe or Africa, you can actually have a run of very poor results and still make it with something to spare.

All this indicates what's wrong with recent World Cups, and why the 2002 World Cup was a very poor one. FIFA's allocation of places (do Asia or CONCACAF really deserve an extra place??) and dodgy/rigged draws even in stronger confederations do little to help the actual quality of the tournament which is what World Cups, European Championships, etc are supposed to be about. It's rewarding mediocrity, and you can see why many of us feel aggrieved about the Socceroos not being there that year- we are clearly better than at least half of the sides which made it.

And we aren't the only ones who have a right to feel aggrieved either, because the likes of Holland, Romania and Iran will also feel they should have been there ahead of many far less deserving sides.

World Cups in previous years were great to watch because there weren't as many bona fide dud sides allowed to walk in. You could say that there weren't as many teams playing in it and that's true, but the problem isn't the number of teams in the World Cup but the composition. Qualifying in the old days was a genuine achievement, even if you weren't going to do that well once you got there. That's certainly true for Australia in 1974, as despite not winning a game or scoring, they were the only one of the "makeweights" (the other two being Zaire aka DR Congo, and Haiti) to end with a point.
Back then, we actually had a fairer deal than what we've been treated to in the last 20 years because Australia and NZ went through the Asian qualifiers so at least knew who we'd play- it should have stayed that way. FIFA taking us for a ride around the world only started with the qualifiers for '86.

But in light of everything that I've just said, we really, really should qualify for the World Cup this time round. It'd be a travesty if we missed the boat this time.

dyertribe said:
The only advantage AFC teams have is that they regularly play together and in meaningful matches, and thus can gel and build/adapt a style of play/tweaked formations/set piece combinations together/team spirit.

As far as individual talent goes, we are streets ahead of Asia, CONCACAF and most African nations.

Right now our boys play a couple of friendlies months before the qualifiers, then sit in transit lounges worldwide waiting for other results, get into camp 1-3 days before the big game and are expected to come out and beat teams that have played upwards of 18 qualifiers on their way to playing us.

Once we finally get into Asia on a fulltime basis, many of these problems will be rectified and we can begin competing on an even keel.
NAIL HAMMER HEAD

Thats why ive always hated it when the clubs dont allow our players to play for the Socceroos

We are lucky to get 1 game in 3 months at a time and when we DO play we cant get our best side on the park

Socceroos tam and players need regular games to gel and work on the things that been metioned by yourself (tyle of play/tweaked formations/set piece combinations together/team spirit etc)

UNITLL that happens,we will NEVER make it to the World Cup

The thing that would be most prohibative to Australia even considering a World Cup is the fact that it would have to be held smach bang in the middle of the existing AFL season. Sure the AFL will change its season for the Olympics. But i feel that it would be far less accommodating to having a chunk of its season taken away because of an event held by a rival football code. FIFA is very strict at keeping arenas free of other sports in the lead up to matches. Considering that AAMI Stadium is actually owned by the SANFL, there would be problems at getting permission to play there. Plus futbol on AFL grounds is hardly ideal.

I'd love it here. We ARE more than capable of holding major events in this country. But there would be huge logistical issues to deal with. Plus the annoyance of rival sports who have had their seasons basically cut in half.

The road to respect within the World futbol community starts at 4:30am on Thursday morning. It will be a bit strange for me. It will be the first time ever in my life I have EVER cheered AGAINST Germany.

"Schade Deutschland, alles ist vorbei!"

JF

I'd like to see Farina kept until the 2010 world cup qualification process, he brings stability amongst the players and when we have a fair path to compete rather than roll the dice over two matches, maybe we'll see a fairer reflection of his coaching abilitlies. THe Socceroos suffer from not being able to take the chances we create, been that way for years, not the coaches fault.

Weaver said:
Yeah, sacking the coach will immediately mean that 4 defenders with pace suddenly appear from nowhere and we find a world class striker down the back of the couch.

********, Aloisi must be covered in lint by now, I tell you! ;)

JF

JF_Bay_22_SCG said:
********, Aloisi must be covered in lint by now, I tell you! ;)

JF
Amazing, ain't it? How long has Aloisi been playing in the Spanish League? And it's not until Farinas last three games (I can only hope) in charge that he decides that he might be capable of starting for the Australian team.

How frustrating is it?!?!? I have known Aloisi is quality for ages, he has been a consistent scorer for Osasuna for ages, scoring against teams like Barca, Real Madrid, Deportivo, Valencia, yet we persist with Viduka and co.

He gets a chance in the Confederations Cup and scores a double against Germany, and another double against Argentina, both WORLD CLASS teams.
He MUST play against the 5th placed South Americans, 4 goals in the two games there might see us return to Germany????

Ive reached a sad conclusion, ive just finished watching some sth american games from there world cup qualifiers. We have no hope of going to Germany. We need a miracle. Sack Farina now and get a european coach and maybe we have a chance, but what i just saw...we are 2 levels below the sth americans. We're going to be disappointed again i feel! :mad:
wrong

Epic bump for such a unnecessary post. Why don't we worry about qualifying for the next WC like what's going on tonight, instead of the one two WCs ago?

Give all that qualifying 14 months out to the tourists. Nothing like the last gasp stuff.

Epic bump for such a unnecessary post. Why don't we worry about qualifying for the next WC like what's going on tonight, instead of the one two WCs ago?
sorry originally joined to troll, i am surprised we managed to get through tbh we had a lot of talent but at the time we usually didnt qualify for world cup's and Uruguay were/are so talented and we should qualify for Brazil unless something goes majorly wrong but you can never underestimate Iraq

sorry originally joined to troll, i am surprised we managed to get through tbh we had a lot of talent but at the time we usually didnt qualify for world cup's and Uruguay were/are so talented and we should qualify for Brazil unless something goes majorly wrong but you can never underestimate Iraq

Joining to trolling an 8 year old post.

Quality start.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ive reached a sad conclusion, ive just finished watching some sth american games from there world cup qualifiers. We have no hope of going to Germany. We need a miracle. Sack Farina now and get a european coach and maybe we have a chance, but what i just saw...we are 2 levels below the sth americans. We're going to be disappointed again i feel! :mad:

derp

Valid point actually, Farina was (and still is) god awful. The fact that the guy currently manages Papua New Guinea really speaks for itself, the guy could never compare to Guus.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back