Australia open to host India, Pakistan tri-series

Remove this Banner Ad

Sammo360

Club Legend
Aug 15, 2009
AFL Club
Sydney

According to 7NEWS.com.au, Hockley told reporters in Rawalpindi: "Personally, I really like the tri-series concept. It's worked well in the past."

Sounds like they could bring the tri-series back. A no-brainer to me, especially now with the premature death of the ODI Championship, the Big Bash disaster and general disinterest in bilateral ODI series. Australia hosting India and Pakistan would be the holy grail of tri-series.

is this pie in the sky stuff ?

i'm assuming its a 20/20 tri-series.

still not sold on neutral matches outside world cups and wtc final though.

a quadrangular series could be the way to go and play each round as a double header in a round robin format and the neutral game as a lead up game for the night session. if the aussies finish 3rd or 4th , well so be it, come the day of the FINAL.

it may also mean including nz in this every summer and 2 visiting nations that may be touring aust/nz anyways.

it could also mean hosting it every second year and allowing nz to host it on the alternative year.

round 1: ind v nz / AUST v pak (perth)
round 2: ind v pak / AUST v nz (adel)
round 3: nz v pak / AUST v ind (syd)
round 4: ind v nz / AUST v pak (hob)
round 5 : ind v pak / AUST v nz (bris)
round 6: nz v pak /AUST v ind (canb)
FINAL: 3rd v 4th / FINAL (melb)
(or something along those lines)

a day or two break between each round and this comp can be done in 2 weeks (or sneak another cycle [3 rounds in] )

a quadrangular series could be the way to go and play each round as a double header in a round robin format and the neutral game as a lead up game for the night session. if the aussies finish 3rd or 4th , well so be it, come the day of the FINAL.

it may also mean including nz in this every summer and 2 visiting nations that may be touring aust/nz anyways.

it could also mean hosting it every second year and allowing nz to host it on the alternative year.

a day or two break between each round and this comp can be done in 2 weeks (or sneak another cycle [3 rounds in] )
Interesting concept, but any game involving India (particularly if it's against Pakistan) will be able to hold its own regardless of which country it's played in. Wouldn't need to be paired with an Australia game in order to attract an audience, might even be the other way around!

It's a thought bubble in response to a thought bubble.

"Pakistan Cricket Board chairman Ramiz Raja in January proposed an annual four-nation T20 series involving Pakistan, India, Australia and England to be hosted on a rotational basis by the teams.

Hockley said his board had not discussed the proposal but would be open to hosting Pakistan and India in a tri-series."

Given that India and Pakistan need to find a way to play Test matches against each other, surely CA and the ECB should be offering to each host a 3 Test Series, one home for India (Australia) and one home for Pakistan (England). There would be huge crowds in either Australia or England to see these 2 face off in Test matches. They need to play each other for the sake of the ICC Test Championship, no-one needs to see another throw away ODI or T20 series. This should be up there with the Ashes, they've got to find a way to make it happen.

It should be an ODI series like the original tri-series was. International T20s outside of World Cups are lame.

Given that India and Pakistan need to find a way to play Test matches against each other, surely CA and the ECB should be offering to each host a 3 Test Series, one home for India (Australia) and one home for Pakistan (England). There would be huge crowds in either Australia or England to see these 2 face off in Test matches. They need to play each other for the sake of the ICC Test Championship, no-one needs to see another throw away ODI or T20 series. This should be up there with the Ashes, they've got to find a way to make it happen.

Its politics not necessarily security issues stopping them from playing though so how does a neutral venue change anything?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Even if you could sort the politics out enough to get them to play, security would still be an issue.

Honestly this isnt really going to matter for a long long long time, the two countries are so far apart they won't be playing tests anytime soon if it ever did get it sorted they won't be giving the tests up to us and england will be played in india and maybe uae.

Isn't it coincidental that in the 10 ICC events (T20 World Cup, ODI World Cup, Champions Trophy) between 2012 and 2023 India and Pakistan have been drawn in the same group? Just so coincidental.

Last edited:
Maybe watching Warne bowl to packed houses in one day games reminded them that betting the house on the BBL wasn't the best idea that they've ever had.
If there was money involved Warne would have approved.

Every day of the bilateral series would be a sell out. This doesn’t need to be a tri series to be successful

When I was buying tickets to the India v Pakistan T20 WC game, the guy on the phone was saying that this game was more popular than all the Aussie games put together.

I'd hope so, going to a game featuring India in Australia is an experience everyone should have. I have never seen a more passionate crowd completely absorbed by the game who also cheer and applaud the good play from the opposition.

Great atmosphere for kids. Wear a blue shirt.

I'd hope so, going to a game featuring India in Australia is an experience everyone should have. I have never seen a more passionate crowd completely absorbed by the game who also cheer and applaud the good play from the opposition.

Great atmosphere for kids. Wear a blue shirt.
I honestly can't wait to go the T20 WC game, the atmosphere is going to be surreal. We are all the way up in the top, but that doesn't matter.
It's gonna be another game where I play "spot the white guy'.
I'm definitely wearing a blue shirt to that game, it's the only color to wear :D
India Pakistan at the World Cup a few years ago was amazing, an all out assault on the senses. It was like the Ashes but both countries have nuclear weapons and the supporters lack our traditional Anglo stiff upper lip.
The thing is, when I go to India, it's all "we hate Pakistan", etc. However in an other country, Indians, Pakistanis are all friends and get a long with each other. Because we are also perceived as such by the most people
Trying to explain that to family that still live there was an interesting situation.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back