2nd Test Australia v Pakistan Dec 26--30 1000hrs @ the MCG

Who will win?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

The bowling is never short of ability but discipline is always the concern and Joseph himself is really emblematic of that, he has a horrible knack of getting hit for a few runs and completely lacking the fortitude to getting back to just bowling an over of deliveries in the channel to settle things down.

It’s a shame that age and a few injuries have seen Gabriel’s career peter out a bit as he had finally gotten the knack of test bowling and become a good honest performer and he brought some real pace and aggression to the attack.
What do you think of the batting? I would go:

1. Brathwaite
2. Chanderpaul
3. McKenzie
4. Athanaze
5. Hodge
6. Imlach
7. Da Silva
8. Sinclair

I’d consider playing both Motie and Sinclair but I reckon the Windies need the extra batsman.

What do you think of the batting? I would go:

1. Brathwaite
2. Chanderpaul
3. McKenzie
4. Athanaze
5. Hodge
6. Imlach
7. Da Silva
8. Sinclair

I’d consider playing both Motie and Sinclair but I reckon the Windies need the extra batsman.

As much as I want us to try and win, I always want that, the sheer reality of the situation with such an inexperienced team is that I just want us to compete so I would be happy enough with something like that just to try and compete. We won’t win so try and get some experience into these guys against a world class team and see if we can compete and push the Australian bowlers and make some good scores. I think that top 5 can post some totals.

Holder really does leave a big big hole in the side on paper even if he had a quiet tour here last summer

Don't think I could name 1 West Indies player.

Chanderpaul still playing?

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app

I originally thought you meant Shiv Chanderpaul but I'll keep my reply up anyway..

Tiktok went into mini meltdown because Ambrose did his all time best Windies team and didn't have Chanderpaul in it.

So if Lyon takes more wickets than Warne does that mean he goes into Australias best ever team instead of Warne?

hehe.

I originally thought you meant Shiv Chanderpaul but I'll keep my reply up anyway..

Tiktok went into mini meltdown because Ambrose did his all time best Windies team and didn't have Chanderpaul in it.
what was his batting lineup (presumably him playing in the same XI wasn't a prerequisite)? if you're including Windies all-time greats like Sobers, Viv, Lara, Richardson etc, he's probably not getting in ahead of them.

what was his batting lineup (presumably him playing in the same XI wasn't a prerequisite)? if you're including Windies all-time greats like Sobers, Viv, Lara, Richardson etc, he's probably not getting in ahead of them.

Not sure, but he did put himself in it and rightly so.

The batting was Haynes, Greenidge, Richards, Lara , Sobers, Weekes

Puff piece from Murdoch-owned news.com.au for David Warner, who is also employed by Murdoch-owned Fox Sports.

Cool and normal.
Lol cummins could fart into a mic and there'd be 70 news articles about how funny he is

Whoever he plays for and whatever he scores, he made a test century here 12 months ago and has been touring here for nearly a decade. And he actually does well when he plays here.

I’d have thought most cricket fans would have some awareness
Most cricket fans are casual rather than serious.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Third Test thread now open.

West Indies 80s XI?
lol. You’re taking the piss right?
I take it back, he must have finished his career stronger than I remembered because I didn’t have him pegged as an above 50 average. He still wouldn’t replace Greenidge or Haynes because he’s not an opener, Richards or Lloyd but he’d replace Richardson or Logie. Still, when you add in Lara and Sobers, his omission from all-time isn’t remotely surprising.

I'm not a huge fan of either and they're just about done but to pretend they haven't been very good and absolute match winners at times is absolutely ridiculous but about on par for most of your ignorant horse s**t comments around here. If you dislike the Australian cricket team so much how about #### off?

There's nothing to pretend about David Warner being a spud.

He never made a century in England, India, New Zealand, Pakistan, Sri Lanka or West Indies. 26 average in England, 21 in India, 13 in New Zealand, 25 Sri Lanka, 26 West Indies, slightly more respectable but still pretty sh*t 33 in Pakistan - these are 6 of the top 7 test teams.

Across 44 tests in these countries in more than a decade between 2012-2013, the man couldn't make a single century. It's an almost cartoonishly awful record for a test opener and cricket historians in the future will be utterly baffled that a man with such a record could retain his spot for that long.

20 of his 26 centuries were in Australia, and 3 of his away ones were in the one series nearly a decade ago on pitches most similar to Australia in South Africa. It was a great series - but a great series isn't supposed to buy you another f*cking decade as a test opener. Two of the other three were vs Bangladesh.

And remember that his other century wasn't actually in Pakistan, so the man only ever made test centuries in the home country of his opponent in two series, one of whom is a minnow and the other was a decade ago.

It's an utterly pathetic away record, and an utterly pathetic, indefensible decision by Cricket Australia to allow it to continue. It's hilarious how many halfwits will offer apologia for it.

He never made a century in England, India, New Zealand, Pakistan, Sri Lanka or West Indies. 26 average in England, 21 in India, 13 in New Zealand, 25 Sri Lanka, 26 West Indies, slightly more respectable but still pretty sh*t 33 in Pakistan - these are 6 of the top 7 test teams.

Across 44 tests in these countries in more than a decade between 2012-2013, the man couldn't make a single century. It's an almost cartoonishly awful record for a test opener and cricket historians in the future will be utterly baffled that a man with such a record could retain his spot for that long.

20 of his 26 centuries were in Australia, and 3 of his away ones were in the one series nearly a decade ago on pitches most similar to Australia in South Africa. It was a great series - but a great series isn't supposed to buy you another f*cking decade as a test opener. Two of the other three were vs Bangladesh.

And remember that his other century wasn't actually in Pakistan, so the man only ever made test centuries in the home country of his opponent in two series, one of whom is a minnow and the other was a decade ago.

It's an utterly pathetic away record, and an utterly pathetic, indefensible decision by Cricket Australia to allow it to continue. It's hilarious how many halfwits will offer apologia for it.
It's good to see those stats. But I reject the term "spud" as a descriptor.

Perhaps I'd say he's been a pretty good opener for Australia, who's under achieved away from home, placing him below the top echelon of Australian openers historically.

Most cricket fans are casual rather than serious.

Many Australians feel culturally and socially compelled to pretend to like test cricket during the summer and particularly during the Ashes. They think by not asking 'how's the cricket going?' they are breaking some kind of social norm. I know a lot of people who will almost religiously go to boxing day and then never care about cricket again for the rest of the year.

Test cricket is also convenient because not even hardcore fans usually watch every ball, so there is no way anyone can 'bust' you for not actually watching or caring, as long as you know the score.

This is why so many "cricket fans" promptly return to not giving a single sh*t about cricket when Australia tours (with the slight exception of the Ashes). Ask most people about the cricket even during say a big tour of India and most people will look at you like you're nuts.

No one's offering apologia for it and nor does anyone argue he's a d!ckhead. He's not a great and for too long he's not even been good. But he's not been a spud overall either. And few if any other openers/top order bats have taken their chance when they get a chance or beaten the door down domestically in the first place.

Perhaps I'd say he's been a pretty good opener for Australia, who's under achieved away from home, placing him below the top echelon of Australian openers historically.

'Under achieved away from home' is being too diplomatic though. He simply was not up to the standard of a touring test opener over the majority of his far too long career.

Name an opener from any country who has or could play something like 44 tests in 6 of the top 7 opposing test nation's home countries and not score a single century (and the 7th country being only one series). I'll be very surprised if there is anything really remotely equivalent (although a stats guru could possibly prove me wrong).

No one's offering apologia for it and nor does anyone argue he's a d!ckhead. He's not a great and for too long he's not even been good. But he's not been a spud overall either. And few if any other openers/top order bats have taken their chance when they get a chance or beaten the door down domestically in the first place.

Oh, there's plenty of apologia. You must not have been introduced to the army of his sycophants in the media, nor some particularly dimwitted Davey fans around these parts.

Media currently claiming he might be Australia's greatest ever opening batsman. Comparing to the greats like Hayden (hurts me to say that but Hayden made runs in India. Ps Hayden as commentator is a different conversation). The Bull was simply a flat track bully! No good in the sub-continent and no good in England.

For those who remember Doug Walters in the 60's-70's ... (and i know he played in the middle order ...same deal) he couldn't buy a run in England either. Like Warner he had a flawed technique.

Back