1st Test Australia v West Indies Jan 17-21 1000hrs @ the Adelaide Oval

Who will win?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

The way some people talk, you'd think the Adelaide Oval deck was a minefield with inconsistent bounce and balls exploding off the wicket. All we saw was sideways movement which was exploited by world class bowlers against some very ordinary batting.

The number of shorter forms of the game has ushered in a "see ball hit ball" mentality which has diminished the art of leaving the ball which is my biggest concern when it comes to batting. Forgetting Australia for the moment, the West Indian player McKenzie has all the ingredients of becoming a fine Test batsman. In the 2nd innings, he was cruising on 26, on comes a new bowler Green of whom he wouldn't have seen much, if at all.

Second ball he faces is wide outside the off stump. Rather than just bide his time and let the ball go, assess the pace and bounce, he decides to belt the hell out of it and hits it straight to Labuschagne at short cover. Pitches offering sideways movement is not an excuse for a Test match to end in the first session of day 3.

Eh it’s easy to point towards white ball cricket and blame it. Reality is these guys are inexperienced and a lot of them probably just aren’t up to it, they’re gonna make mistake one way or another.

Head is probably playing the exact same shot, just hits it more often.

There’s also merit to “targeting” the all-rouder/spinner/part time bowler and not allowing them to settle and give the front line quicks a rest. We saw last home Ashes the Aussies were borderline reckless against Leach in Brisbane, but it didn’t allow Root to bowl him and eventually Robinson broke down and the rest of the attack lost its venom. The best way to survive Cummins and Hazlewood is to make them bowl tired as India did last time out here, to do that you probably have to hit Green, Marsh and Lyon out of the attack.

You can't win either way as soon as someone plays an anchor innings and leaves the ball outside off-stump alone people whinge about them plodding along like Boycott.. I'm positive I'm guilty of it.

In NBA, they say it is ‘a make or miss league’ meaning whether or not you a good coach or bad coach, you ran a good play or a bad play, whether you played good defence or bad defence etc all is determined if a jump shot goes in the hoop.

I guess it applies in cricket whether an attacking strategy is aggressive or reckless is determined if a player plays and misses or edges to the keeper.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

In NBA, they say it is ‘a make or miss league’ meaning whether or not you a good coach or bad coach, you ran a good play or a bad play, whether you played good defence or bad defence etc all is determined if a jump shot goes in the hoop.

I guess it applies in cricket whether an attacking strategy is aggressive or reckless is determined if a player plays and misses or edges to the keeper.

Cricket arguably has more stats than most games and is a results driven business - over time it’s your Test Average that determines where you sit. Form is temporary, class is permanent. Anyone can have a day out, the trick is to be able replicate it over and over again against different attacks and on different pitches

Cricket arguably has more stats than most games and is a results driven business - over time it’s your Test Average that determines where you sit. Form is temporary, class is permanent. Anyone can have a day out, the trick is to be able replicate it over and over again against different attacks and on different pitches

I guess some players don’t get the opportunity in test cricket to play long enough to get an average equal to their skill (get a chance to debut, get a couple of good balls, fall to the back of the pecking order)

I guess some players don’t get the opportunity in test cricket to play long enough to get an average equal to their skill (get a chance to debut, get a couple of good balls, fall to the back of the pecking order)

I was fortunate to play a couple of seasons with a man who played 1 Test for Australia during the WSC era. He made 22 and 38 not, thus he averages 60 in Test Cricket.

That is not the story.

We were playing Subbies 1sts and our overseas Pom (who was a first class player in the UK and later became CEO of the ECB) threw away another start and trudges off nonchalantly saying “doesn’t matter…I’ll get some runs tomorrow” (was playing in some s**t pot game somewhere).

The Test Man flew him “that’s why you blokes are no good…you don’t care about it enough…there’s always tomorrow” he then went on a 5 minute lecture about the fact that at that time at our level we would only bat about 12 times per year and how vital it was to make the most of the times when we did actually “get in”. The long story short was if you bat 12 times you might get one bad umpiring decision, one piece of s**t luck and one good ball, but the rest of the time you get yourself out. Minimise that and you’re on your way to making more runs.

If you keep getting “jaffas” then it was usually that you were playing a level above your ability.

Plenty of sliding doors moments, but there aren’t too many that can claim they’ve been hard done by.

The Pom batted 46 times in the previous UK Summer - equivalent to four seasons of VSDCA games

You can't win either way as soon as someone plays an anchor innings and leaves the ball outside off-stump alone people whinge about them plodding along like Boycott.. I'm positive I'm guilty of it.
Well, next time just remind yourself it's a 5 DAY Test, not a T20 game.

The way some people talk, you'd think the Adelaide Oval deck was a minefield with inconsistent bounce and balls exploding off the wicket. All we saw was sideways movement which was exploited by world class bowlers against some very ordinary batting.

The number of shorter forms of the game has ushered in a "see ball hit ball" mentality which has diminished the art of leaving the ball which is my biggest concern when it comes to batting. Forgetting Australia for the moment, the West Indian player McKenzie has all the ingredients of becoming a fine Test batsman. In the 2nd innings, he was cruising on 26, on comes a new bowler Green of whom he wouldn't have seen much, if at all.

Second ball he faces is wide outside the off stump. Rather than just bide his time and let the ball go, assess the pace and bounce, he decides to belt the hell out of it and hits it straight to Labuschagne at short cover. Pitches offering sideways movement is not an excuse for a Test match to end in the first session of day 3.

Yeah, this wicket was fairly sporting, but it wasn't on-par with the green mamba at the GABBA last year.

I was fortunate to play a couple of seasons with a man who played 1 Test for Australia during the WSC era. He made 22 and 38 not, thus he averages 60 in Test Cricket.

That is not the story.

We were playing Subbies 1sts and our overseas Pom (who was a first class player in the UK and later became CEO of the ECB) threw away another start and trudges off nonchalantly saying “doesn’t matter…I’ll get some runs tomorrow” (was playing in some s**t pot game somewhere).

The Test Man flew him “that’s why you blokes are no good…you don’t care about it enough…there’s always tomorrow” he then went on a 5 minute lecture about the fact that at that time at our level we would only bat about 12 times per year and how vital it was to make the most of the times when we did actually “get in”. The long story short was if you bat 12 times you might get one bad umpiring decision, one piece of s**t luck and one good ball, but the rest of the time you get yourself out. Minimise that and you’re on your way to making more runs.

If you keep getting “jaffas” then it was usually that you were playing a level above your ability.

Plenty of sliding doors moments, but there aren’t too many that can claim they’ve been hard done by.

The Pom batted 46 times in the previous UK Summer - equivalent to four seasons of VSDCA games
That man would be Jeff Moss. Still remember that test (way back in 1978) as it was telecast on the ABC and Aust chased down 240 odd.

Rick darling ran himself out (again) for 79 and Andrew Hilditch famously given out handled the ball after an appeal by (none other then) that dodgy bowler Sarfraz

However your point about the attitude of the Pommy batsman reminds me of what Dean Jones said when he was playing for Durham. In his opinion, there were too many county batsmen who were content just to get their 1000 - 1300 run season just so they could get a contract for the following season. They simply had little (or no) ambitions to play at a higher level and at times, feasted on poor county attacks that were devoid of their test bowlers.

Jones left on less than amicable terms with Durham. The DCCC ask him for his input into who they should target / sign for the next season and the 3 batsmen who Jones recommended were all overlooked - and of the 3 that the club signed, 2 were let go that next season.

That man would be Jeff Moss. Still remember that test (way back in 1978) as it was telecast on the ABC and Aust chased down 240 odd.

Rick darling ran himself out (again) for 79 and Andrew Hilditch famously given out handled the ball after an appeal by (none other then) that dodgy bowler Sarfraz

However your point about the attitude of the Pommy batsman reminds me of what Dean Jones said when he was playing for Durham. In his opinion, there were too many county batsmen who were content just to get their 1000 - 1300 run season just so they could get a contract for the following season. They simply had little (or no) ambitions to play at a higher level and at times, feasted on poor county attacks that were devoid of their test bowlers.

Jones left on less than amicable terms with Durham. The DCCC ask him for his input into who they should target / sign for the next season and the 3 batsmen who Jones recommended were all overlooked - and of the 3 that the club signed, 2 were let go that next season.
In the McGregor biography Greg Chappell talked about slipping into that I'll get runs tomorrow trap when he was playing for Somerset.

JK Moss - legend

The Pom was Tom Harrison recently stepped down as CEO of the ECB, inventor or responsible for the 100.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Back