2nd Test New Zealand v Australia March 8-12 0830hrs @ Hagley Oval

Who will win?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

It's because of this foot-in-mouth gem from Ben Duckett after the 3rd Test (in which he scored 153, entitling Duckett to brag, of course, while England lost).
It's a jaw-dropper:
"“Speaking to reporters at the end of the game, Duckett praised India for emphatically making their way back into the game, praising Jaiswal’s batting but mentioning England’s contribution to his approach.

"When you see players from the opposition playing like that, it almost feels like we should take some credit that they’re playing differently than how other people play Test cricket,” Duckett said. “We saw it a bit in the summer and it’s quite exciting to see other players and other teams are also playing that aggressive style of cricket"".

So, England invented aggressive Test Cricket (in the form of Bazball from which they have not WON a series since December 2022), and they are currently inspiring other teams/players to play aggressive Test Cricket.

Justifiably, he's been copping viral derision since then.
Has an element of Spinal Tap to it

Derek Smalls:
We're lucky.

David St. Hubbins:
Yeah.

Derek Smalls:
I mean, people should be envying us, you know.

David St. Hubbins:
I envy us.

Derek Smalls:
Yeah.

David St. Hubbins:
I do.

Derek Smalls:
Me too.

Yeah,
on the back of their moral 1-4 belting of India.
Made all the running via Bazballian ineptitude, enabling big Indian wins.
They don't care about winning/losing, wanting only to entertain.

I was Hell-entertained, thanks to Stokes, Muckett & Co. :hearteyes: :hearteyes:
Just sent a text to a mate, suggesting that the moral victory Test championship final is locked in between England and NZ. He replied with this, "Should be a good final - play abandoned, due to whinging." LOL

Seems Darryl Mitchell is sipping from the BazBall sacramental wine.

‘we’re not defined by the outcome…’

Well Darryl, I hate to break it to you, but that’s exactly what your defined by.

If you weren’t, then there is absolutely no reason to keep score.

I have worked an an industry extremely close to cricket, I know exactly how much these events cost in a parallel industry. The only way they lose money on these events (unless they're EXTREMELY stupid) is their national contracts are ****ed.
The stadium sizes, hire costs, tv revenues would all be something that NZ would struggle with, not saying you don’t know, but it would be wildly different in Australia. Apologies if you understand the costs/revenue over there. But as an example, look to super rugby - seemingly profitable in NZ, not at all over here

Seems Darryl Mitchell is sipping from the BazBall sacramental wine.

‘we’re not defined by the outcome…’

Well Darryl, I hate to break it to you, but that’s exactly what your defined by.

If you weren’t, then there is absolutely no reason to keep score.
Feels a bit storm in a teacup when you read the full quote of what he's saying.

Interested to see how many balls they bowled around bail height near off stump.

Craddock made a pretty smart but basic observation about Joseph at the Gabba - while obviously it helps when you can bowl high 140s - when everyone else was whinging about the pink ball doing nothing after 20 overs he basically just said, well fine I will just bowl as fast as I can in a very regular corridor and be challenging the stumps a lot.

NZ were all over the place at times
I think what everyone needs to realise, and I think you do, is that Joseph was truly outstanding. Outstanding to a rare degree. Australia aren’t infallible, but Joseph was next level. We should just appreciate the fact that we were lucky enough to witness it.

“For us, we’ve always said as Blackcaps, we’re not defined by the outcomes, we’re defined by how we play cricket and hopefully how we inspire our country to play the game,” Mitchell told SEN.

“We are really proud of the efforts that we did throughout the Test.

“Although we didn’t get the win that we wanted, I think if we keep turning up and keep playing cricket like this, puffing our chests out and doing it with a smile on our face and hopefully inspiring many young kids here in New Zealand to play Test cricket in the future, then we’re doing the right thing.”
---------------
winning culture inspires too. :think:

What he’s saying is that it’s important to play the game in the right way to encourage younger kids to play the sport.

Cool. I get it.

But it has been, is, and always will be about winning.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So thats it for the NZ tour.No white ball matches.Our next offical game is the 6th of June.
T20 WC opener vs Oman.Kensington Oval Barbados.

I think what everyone needs to realise, and I think you do, is that Joseph was truly outstanding. Outstanding to a rare degree. Australia aren’t infallible, but Joseph was next level. We should just appreciate the fact that we were lucky enough to witness it.

Absolutely no doubt: it wasnt 7 wickets of persistence or 7 wickets of 2-3 good balls and 5 guys giving their wickets away, it was one of the truly great spells - 6 legitimately excellent-to-great balls and one good ball. AND you’ve still got to be good enough not just to have that plan in your head, but to execute it (which he obviously was on that day)

But it looked like NZ for large parts of the day had their planning completely muddled and just didn’t keep it simple when I think they really would have benefited from it: as someone pointed out earlier Sears really seemed to lose his way after those two wickets at a time when they probably WANTED to attack but probably needed to just tighten the screws

Absolutely no doubt: it wasnt 7 wickets of persistence or 7 wickets of 2-3 good balls and 5 guys giving their wickets away, it was one of the truly great spells - 6 legitimately excellent-to-great balls and one good ball. AND you’ve still got to be good enough not just to have that plan in your head, but to execute it (which he obviously was on that day)

But it looked like NZ for large parts of the day had their planning completely muddled and just didn’t keep it simple when I think they really would have benefited from it: as someone pointed out earlier Sears really seemed to lose his way after those two wickets at a time when they probably WANTED to attack but probably needed to just tighten the screws
Remembering also that Joseph bowled that spell with a busted toe. So not only is he insanely talented - he's also got guts: all the hallmarks of a future champion.

Back