2nd Test New Zealand v Australia March 8-12 0830hrs @ Hagley Oval

Who will win?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Does anyone genuinely believe Mitchell or his team for that matter actually believe what he said?

I don’t. Not for a second.

Mitchell himself has cut his teeth in test cricket by playing some of their best backs to the wall knocks in years during their last trip to England. His general output on the field goes in direct contrast towards such a passive attitude off it.

I’d say that was a very ill advised attempt to deflect what must be an incredibly painful result to take, rather than a true reflection of how they feel
No it's a trait of losers. Seeing Southee laugh & carry on with Aussie players moments after the result reminds me of Hinkley back slapping & giggling with opponents moments after losing big games.

No it's a trait of losers. Seeing Southee laugh & carry on with Aussie players moments after the result reminds me of Hinkley back slapping & giggling with opponents moments after losing big games.

Like Cummins and his team did three tests ago you mean?

What they do after the game doesn’t impact on what happens before it and if they come out in the next series and win it, it won’t have anything to do with what he said either.

There is no way in hell they care more about how they play than whether they win or lose. They would have been gutted yesterday. Being able to put that aside and go and have a beer with the opposition, like players have for 100 years previous, doesn’t change that.

Border is the toughest Australian cricketer I’ve seen and he was doing that long before Australia started winning anything

Absolutely no doubt: it wasnt 7 wickets of persistence or 7 wickets of 2-3 good balls and 5 guys giving their wickets away, it was one of the truly great spells - 6 legitimately excellent-to-great balls and one good ball. AND you’ve still got to be good enough not just to have that plan in your head, but to execute it (which he obviously was on that day)

But it looked like NZ for large parts of the day had their planning completely muddled and just didn’t keep it simple when I think they really would have benefited from it: as someone pointed out earlier Sears really seemed to lose his way after those two wickets at a time when they probably WANTED to attack but probably needed to just tighten the screws
Certainly not saying there aren’t issues with the team, in particular tge batting line up. In an ideal world, post t20 trophy we send a development squad to the UK for the white ball tour and all of the incumbents/challengers play shield in the lead up to the home tests.

Whilst NZ certainly lost their way at times, we also put pressure on them. In the same way we shouldn’t discount excellent performances against us when we lose, we can’t discount our own performances when we win. NZ aren’t a bad team, they were playing at home, and we have had a long and busy schedule. We still won both games.

Certainly not saying there aren’t issues with the team, in particular tge batting line up. In an ideal world, post t20 trophy we send a development squad to the UK for the white ball tour and all of the incumbents/challengers play shield in the lead up to the home tests.

Whilst NZ certainly lost their way at times, we also put pressure on them. In the same way we shouldn’t discount excellent performances against us when we lose, we can’t discount our own performances when we win. NZ aren’t a bad team, they were playing at home, and we have had a long and busy schedule. We still won both games.

Carey was excellent. Truly great knock.

I thought Marsh - remembering you can’t actually knock a guy for scoring runs so please don’t think I am - was the benefactor of some poor planning and/or execution from the kiwis. Either he spooked them or they just got it totally wrong to him.

lol. Mate Kyle Verreyne made runs in that game. If that’s your evidence, you aren’t convincing many people.

Aidan Markram recently made a century that was rated among the best handful based on all the metrics of the pitch, the difficulty of the game and the other scores in the match, in the entire history of test cricket. Most people still wouldn’t trust him yet on a moving pitch until he proves it consistently. Why would head be any different.

Carey was excellent. Truly great knock.

I thought Marsh - remembering you can’t actually knock a guy for scoring runs so please don’t think I am - was the benefactor of some poor planning and/or execution from the kiwis. Either he spooked them or they just got it totally wrong to him.
For sure, I think they saw it slipping away and thought “here we go again”. But for them to have that mentality you need to be good enough to make it count.

It’s like watching the Wallabies play the ABs. Plenty of games were we play well, have scoreboard pressure, set pieces going our way and then they get a run on against us - you just know we won’t be able to close out the game, because we lack the belief and they have the ability to force the point. However, you have to be good enough in the first place - and the ABs are.

I have worked an an industry extremely close to cricket, I know exactly how much these events cost in a parallel industry. The only way they lose money on these events (unless they're EXTREMELY stupid) is their national contracts are ****ed.
It was reported by Tim Wigmore in 2017 that most boards lose US$500,000 per test.

I can't imagine tests have become any cheaper since then.

It seems that the guys who are designated batters, Smith, Labauchangne, Khawaja and Head have been underwhelming.
The rest have been excellent, and batting above their averages. Green, Marsh, Carey, Starc, Cummins, Lyon and Hazelwood. All of them.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Long Live Test Cricket.

A shame there isnt a 3rd test.

Great series both teams fought hard,

Reckon the gorilla on the Kiwis back has been added too and more demons have been created should not have lost that test.

If Wagner had been given a farewell series instead of some Z-Grade grub who they picked at 8 but couldnt be trusted i reckon NZ jag a test and maybe win 2-0.

The Green/Haze partnership won us the game in Wellington doubt that happens with Wagner and i reckon having Wagner there today we probably struggle to chase that down.
Why do we struggle against Wagner? He isn’t even that quick.

Smith can't continue to open IMO so the team still needs a shake up for the Indian series.
+
I still don't love our top order. Don't have any faith in them
and many others, here's your response from McDonald and Cummins:

McDonald:
" "We feel we've got a group that can carry us through that next phase. That's not to say there won't be changes," he said.
"It's going to be a hard group to infiltrate. It's going to take something special." ".
Interesting use of the word "infiltrate". :sneaky:

For Cummins, experience (not form) is everything:
" "In those key moments, being able to draw on that knowledge, guys that have played all around the world - it's valuable," he said.
"We're in no rush to make rash changes." ".

Barring injury or unlikely retirement (I mean, with the dough they're making, why would any of them pull the plug?), yesterday's team is a lock vs.India later this year.

You realize each ground behaves differently and strategy needs to accommodate said differences, right?

That would be about 1 pitch in 8. The other 7 times you should be batting, NZ fake green tops included. If we batted first we'd have won with alot less stress, much less excitement though....lol. Could have made 250, rolled them for 230 then set the game when the pitch went flat in the 3rd innings, like when NZ made 372, which gave them a strong lead despite their first innings. That's when you learn Tests are 4 innings games. Have to think of that at the toss.

Got to know your grounds too. Remember he was silly enough to do it at The Oval too and it probably cost us an Ashes Series win. No matter what that wicket looks like there you bat first. India sent us in at The Oval on a green looking wicket in the WTC final and we were 3/320 on the first day. Paine did it in 2019 and it cost us. Cummins didn't learn from that and it cost us. Nasser Hussain famously got sucked by by the greener Gabba back in the day. NZ pitches are near always bat first pitches too no matter the pitch color. If your batting line up us out of form, definitely bat! Chasing with a dodgy batting line often ends in disaster, as 4/35 showed. Fortunately, we had a no.6, a wicketkeeper, and a tail to bail us out when it mattered.

Last edited:
Darryl Mitchell's attitude is why New Zealand will remain the loveable losers of world cricket. In test cricket, it's about results. It's what you're defined by. Him and his mates might have been able to dine out on being the first New Zealand side to win a test on home soil against Australia since 1993. Had the result been different, in would have been a defining moment in his career.

So, the Kiwis set Australia a tough chase of 279. They've got the Aussies by the nuts at 4-34. You allow Australia to chase the remaining 245 runs losing just 3 wickets, wasting your country's best shot at winning a home test against Australia since 1993 and brush it off by saying ''we're not defined by results''. That's pathetic. Darryl Mitchell has been around long enough and seen his father speak to the media in his various roles as a rugby coach to know not to say something so stupid.

As others have said, we shouldn't be surprised by this. New Zealand were captained by Brendon McCullum and we've heard similar guff from England since the Bazball era began in June 2022.
We understand why England's Coach and Captain are New Zealanders. It's in their DNA....haha.

That would be about 1 pitch in 8. The other 7 times you should be batting, NZ fake green tops included. If we batted first we'd have won with alot less stress, much less excitement though....lol. Could have made 250, rolled them for 230 then set the game when the pitch went flat in the 3rd innings, like when NZ made 372, which gave them a strong lead despite their first innings. That's when you learn Tests are 4 innings games. Have to think of that at the toss.

Got to know your grounds too. Remember he was silly enough to do it at The Oval too and it probably cost us an Ashes Series win. No matter what that wicket looks like there you bat first. India sent us in at The Oval on a green looking wicket in the WTC final and we were 3/320 on the first day. Paine did it in 2019 and it cost us. Cummins didn't learn from that and it cost us. Nasser Hussain famously got sucked by by the greener Gabba back in the day. NZ pitches are near always bat first pitches too no matter the pitch color. If your batting line up us out of form, definitely bat! Chasing with a dodgy batting line often ends in disaster, as 4/35 showed. Fortunately, we had a no.6, a wicketkeeper, and a tail to bail us out when it mattered.

No you wouldn’t have.

Back