1st Test New Zealand v Australia Feb 29-Mar 4 0830hrs @ the Basin Reserve

Who will win?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

What to do with/about Marnus Labuschagne?
" Against India in Ahmedabad last year he made 3 from 20 balls, while against England at The Oval he battled for 82 balls before being dismissed for 9 — an innings that lasted almost two hours.

Then, earlier this season, he made 2 in 18 balls in the second innings against Pakistan in Perth.

This summer has not been hugely successful for Labuschagne, in truth.

He averages 25.22 from 11 innings with just three 50s, that against a career average of 50.20.

Labuschagne only has one Test century since the Adelaide day-night Test against the West Indies in 2022 — 36 innings ago.
".
Make that "37 Innings ago", since that quote was from before the second dig.
Marnus has stopped playing his lovely, fluent shots. Instead he's noodling and scratching around, crabbing at the crease until the inevitable nick-off.
He won't be dropped before the 2nd Test, not for Renshaw (why is he even in the squad? the only batting spot he could take in case of injury is an opener's), nor is there a Shield standout to take Lab's place at #3.

Some in here have suggested that his luck has run out; that he's being exposed when not given multiple batting lives, but he didn't LUCK his way to a nearly-60 batting average nor to his pivotal support role in the ODI WC 2023 Final.
I have no idea why his form is so poor lately. Injury? Off-field issues?

The Aussies need a run-making Labuschagne against India later this year. I hope he uses the long break to fix his current malaise.

Lot of Kiwi boys with big smiles after the match.

Wonder how many watched the match in NZ, not much of a crowd showed up.

The crowd was as big as the ground allows across each of the 4 days which is around 12k.

The crowd showed up for this test unlike some of our players.

What to do with/about Marnus Labuschagne?
" Against India in Ahmedabad last year he made 3 from 20 balls, while against England at The Oval he battled for 82 balls before being dismissed for 9 — an innings that lasted almost two hours.

Then, earlier this season, he made 2 in 18 balls in the second innings against Pakistan in Perth.

This summer has not been hugely successful for Labuschagne, in truth.

He averages 25.22 from 11 innings with just three 50s, that against a career average of 50.20.

Labuschagne only has one Test century since the Adelaide day-night Test against the West Indies in 2022 — 36 innings ago.
".
Make that "37 Innings ago", since that quote was from before the second dig.
Marnus has stopped playing his lovely, fluent shots. Instead he's noodling and scratching around, crabbing at the crease until the inevitable nick-off.
He won't be dropped before the 2nd Test, not for Renshaw (why is he even in the squad? the only batting spot he could take in case of injury is an opener's), nor is there a Shield standout to take Lab's place at #3.

Some in here have suggested that his luck has run out; that he's being exposed when not given multiple batting lives, but he didn't LUCK his way to a nearly-60 batting average nor to his pivotal support role in the ODI WC 2023 Final.
I have no idea why his form is so poor lately. Injury? Off-field issues?

The Aussies need a run-making Labuschagne against India later this year. I hope he uses the long break to fix his current malaise.

He technically did luck his way to a average of 60, read on line if every life he gave was taken he'd now average 33

It's a cool ground I'd like to catch a test there.

Yeah it's a nice ground and a great place to watch cricket.

I prefer the smaller NZ cricket grounds that have grass hills to sit on than the all seated cricket stadiums, especially for test matches.

Optus Stadium might be a better stadium in Perth than the WACA but it doesn't have the grass hills to sit on like the WACA used to have.

At least they had the sense to keep the grass hill at the Adelaide Oval when they redeveloped it unlike the SCG which is now all seated.

I prefer the smaller NZ cricket grounds that have grass hills to sit on than the all seated cricket stadiums, especially for test matches.

Optus Stadium might be a better stadium in Perth than the WACA but it doesn't have the grass hills to sit on like the WACA used to have.

At least they had the sense to keep the grass hill at the Adelaide Oval when they redeveloped it unlike the SCG which is now all seated.
The soulless concrete bowls below half capacity do nothing for test cricket, the old school venues that can create a festive type atmosphere are the go IMO.

Yeah it's a nice ground and a great place to watch cricket.

The WACA had no shade.
Any ground is better than the WACA.
The WACA has a good reputation because the wicket had bounce in the 70’s and early 80’s, also the time difference was popular with the Eastern State audience.
The WACA is the most overated ground in World Cricket.
Long live the death of the WACA, and long live Perth Stafium.

WA cricket has added around 1000 spots of grass to cater for the old men yelling at clouds sector regarding Optus. So they do listen to the old people.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'd take the McGrath/Warne/Gillespie/Lee quartet purely due to McGrath and Warne mainly.

Lee and Gillespie were no mugs, but the top end talent of McGrath and Warne is what get them over the line for me personally

Both similar types of bowlers in each quartet. Obviously a spinner, a consistent line and length bowler (McGrath and Hazlewood), a strike bowler (Lee and Starc) and I see similarities in the way Gillespie and Cummins bowl.
Unless I am mistaken - Lee rarely played with McGrath, Warne & Gillespie. Kasprowicz & Bichel were the 4th seamers on most occasions - Lee spent about 18 months being a permanent 12 man

Lot of Kiwi boys with big smiles after the match.

Wonder how many watched the match in NZ, not much of a crowd showed up.
Pretty sure every day was a sell out.

The WACA had no shade.
Any ground is better than the WACA.
The WACA has a good reputation because the wicket had bounce in the 70’s and early 80’s, also the time difference was popular with the Eastern State audience.
The WACA is the most overated ground in World Cricket.
Long live the death of the WACA, and long live Perth Stafium.

WA cricket has added around 1000 spots of grass to cater for the old men yelling at clouds sector regarding Optus. So they do listen to the old people.
Well put.

Please forward this to Jim Maxwell as a late Christmas present.

Unless I am mistaken - Lee rarely played with McGrath, Warne & Gillespie. Kasprowicz & Bichel were the 4th seamers on most occasions - Lee spent about 18 months being a permanent 12 man
You’re very very mistaken with the Lee 12th man thing.
He was catapulted into the Australian side after a fiary spell for Steve Waugh and NSW, followed up with causing havoc against WA and breaking Jo Angels arm.
Does Bichel hold some 12th man record rather than playing ahead of Lee.

Last edited:
You poor thing. Sad really. Life must be so difficult for you. Do you have a handler?
Lol…I’m sure my “handler” would just laugh at the abuse dished out to the World Champion Australian Cricket side, via a football website

You’re very very mistaken with the Lee 12th man thing.
He was catapulted into the Australian side after a fiary spell against Steve Waugh and NSW, followed up with causing havoc against WA and breaking Jo Angels arm.
Does Bichel hold some 12th man record rather than playing ahead of Lee.
Off the top of my head, the true position is in between, but closer to 4Seasons' summary.

I recall that Lee was out of the Test side for 18 months and carried the drinks on numerous occasions, but not as much as Bichel did. Lee played in the Sydney Test in January 2004 against India (Steve Waugh's last Test) when India compiled 700+ declared in their first innings. He was passed over until the first Ashes Test in July 2005. In the Tests Australia played from early-2004, Sri Lanka away, to the series immediately before Lee's return, New Zealand away in early-2005, the usual pace contingent was McGrath, Gillespie and Kasprowicz.

During Lee's spell out of the Test side, McGrath had to miss the Sri Lanka away series in 2004 and Australia played two quicks (Gillespie and Kasprowicz) and two spinners (Warne and MacGill). Kasprowicz was the mainstay of the pace attack in 2004 and was impressive in the series wins that year in Sri Lanka and India.

Bichel played his last Test in 2003-04 versus India at home, prior to Lee's 18-month absence from the Test side. Bichel only played 19 Tests scattered from January 1997 to December 2003, and he was 12th man on 19 occasions. I think he holds the 12th man record in Tests for Australia.

It's true that Lee played a significant number of Tests alongside McGrath, Gillespie and Warne, particularly from the 2000-01 away series against India to the 2003-04 Sydney Test against India, and again from the 2005 Ashes to the 2006-07 Ashes.

screencapture-stats-espncricinfo-ci-engine-player-388802-html-2024-03-03-22_05_52.png

Latham's record. Look at those records against the 4 best teams he has faced. Ouch, this guy was considered the best Test opening batsman by some like 4 or so years ago. Those were some dark times for opening batting I'll tell you that.

Last edited:
McGrath, Warne, Gillespie & Lee played together in 16 Tests. The first 3 & Kasprowicz played 15. The first 3 & Bichel played 2.

Wow. Andrew McDonald reckons that Labuschagne 's 2 might be in the same stratosphere as Rob Quiney's 9:

“And I thought in the second innings, and this is really hard to sort of quantify, but I thought the intent, the energy he brought to the crease, and it was only two runs, I don’t want to get carried away with two runs, but that’s what we see when he’s at his best.”

Wow. Andrew McDonald reckons that Labuschagne 's 2 might be in the same stratosphere as Rob Quiney's 9:

“And I thought in the second innings, and this is really hard to sort of quantify, but I thought the intent, the energy he brought to the crease, and it was only two runs, I don’t want to get carried away with two runs, but that’s what we see when he’s at his best.”

I just read this and nearly had a stroke. Never seen such a deluded take and it’s from the coach.

Back