1st Test New Zealand v Australia Feb 29-Mar 4 0830hrs @ the Basin Reserve

Who will win?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

New Zealand from, Tim Southee (c), Tom Blundell (wk), Devon Conway, Matt Henry, Scott Kuggeleijn, Tom Latham, Daryl Mitchell, Will O'Rourke, Glenn Phillips, Rachin Ravindra, Mitchell Santner, Kane Williamson, Will Young
Australia from, Pat Cummins (c), Scott Boland, Alex Carey, Cameron Green, Josh Hazlewood, Travis Head, Usman Khawaja, Marnus Labuschagne, Nathan Lyon, Mitchell Marsh, Michael Neser, Matthew Renshaw, Steve Smith (vc), Mitchell Starc

This is only the sixth Test in History to begin on February 29.

From memory, the last time we toured New Zealand they prepared two greentops tailor-made for Boult and Southee to knock us over

Then lost both coin tosses, had to bat first and got steamrolled by our quicks.

Seems ironic that we start a test against the Kiwis in NZ on Feb 29.

As the actual day happens more then us travelling over there to play a test match it seems these days.
Just read that neither Starc or Cummins have ever played a Test in NZ.

It would be nice if this was a 5 test series too. I can't even remember the last time we played 5 against them, it's a shame, we usually have a great series against them.

never played the kiwi's in more than a 3 test series, but we may get to play them in 4 soon.

obviously the next 2 home summers consist of 5 tests v india and then england.

the home summer of '26/27 we are fixtured to play NZ, in a weird summer consisting of
1 v afg (sept) , 3 v nz & 2 v bang (march) with away test series v south africa and india sandwiched in between.

there is now talk of planning and rejigging that home summer to look like:
2 v bang (sept) - brought forward from march (which in itself will be a tight squeeze because of their schedule) and ditch the afghanistan test (surprise surprise)
4 v new zealand
1 v england (march) 150th year celebrations test
and still squeezing in those 2 away series mentioned above.

could the MCG host 2 tests that summer - watch this space i guess.

From memory, the last time we toured New Zealand they prepared two greentops tailor-made for Boult and Southee to knock us over

Then lost both coin tosses, had to bat first and got steamrolled by our quicks.

New Zealand pretty much always serves up greentops. I don't think it was particularly a strategy to put the game down to a coin-flip.

never played the kiwi's in more than a 3 test series, but we may get to play them in 4 soon.

obviously the next 2 home summers consist of 5 tests v india and then england.

the home summer of '26/27 we are fixtured to play NZ, in a weird summer consisting of
1 v afg (sept) , 3 v nz & 2 v bang (march) with away test series v south africa and india sandwiched in between.

there is now talk of planning and rejigging that home summer to look like:
2 v bang (sept) - brought forward from march (which in itself will be a tight squeeze because of their schedule) and ditch the afghanistan test (surprise surprise)
4 v new zealand
1 v england (march) 150th year celebrations test
and still squeezing in those 2 away series mentioned above.

could the MCG host 2 tests that summer - watch this space i guess.
No money in Aus v NZ - no pay TV demand for it - thus is the main reason we don’t play them

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Only test I've ever attended overseas was at the Basin.

Lovely place, however the size of the boundaries are a bit dodge, and the pitch can be an absolute stinker.

The test I was there for had barely 550 runs scored, NZ had to chase 30 odd in the 4th innings.

Sachin scored a tough 50 in the 2nd innings as wickets fell everywhere to Bond, Tuffey and Jacob Oram.

Back