Australian 3 ODIs vs India (14th, 17th, 19th)

Remove this Banner Ad

Surely we all agree that averaging 34.5 outside Australia was not good enough for a player of Warner's talent.

I guess the argument is that maybe Warner is too harshly criticised for it when everyone else bar Smith since Warner's debut have been very poor outside of Australia.

View attachment 805929
That's my point. He hasn't been great overseas just that the amount of abuse he cops compared to anyone else is out of whack.

Wow that's a stomping. 255 was never going to be enough, but that was a flawless batting display for the 50.

We should have been in trouble when India were roughly 1/130 around the 26th, but the next period where they collapsed really turned the game. Did not expect that they just bombed it from a great position and it seemed to come from nowhere.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Morning Richie. morning all!
Gee, well I never, when I declared my (viewing) innings closed after 11 overs into the chase, I predicted a walk in the park for Australia, but did not expect to wake up and discover this pull-down-their-pants-absolute-rogering, with Warner and Finch recording the highest batting ODI partnership by anyone ever vs India !!!

Given this outcome, I'd be very surprised if the next two wickets prepared are not absolute dead lifeless bunsen burners...?

Morning Richie. morning all!
Gee, well I never, when I declared my (viewing) innings closed after 11 overs into the chase, I predicted a walk in the park for Australia, but did not expect to wake up and discover this pull-down-their-pants-absolute-rogering, with Warner and Finch recording the highest batting ODI partnership by anyone ever vs India !!!

Given this outcome, I'd be very surprised if the next two wickets prepared are not absolute dead lifeless bunsen burners...?

Richie: Let’s go now to the Indian scorecard, and it’s a pretty piss poor effort that.

We won far before the dew came into play. That being said, in retrospect, bowling first now looks like a genius play, however, most times. It isn't.

Full credit to our team. Exceptional effort. Brilliant win and i'm happy to eat my words.
I was wrong!
I don’t know the stats but my gut feel is a lot of ODIs in India are won by the chasing team.

We won far before the dew came into play. That being said, in retrospect, bowling first now looks like a genius play, however, most times. It isn't.

Full credit to our team. Exceptional effort. Brilliant win and i'm happy to eat my words.
I was wrong!
Based on what? In ODI cricket, teams only win 46.9% of the time when winning the toss and batting first. It's even worse in India 46.2%. Win the toss and field first and the win % is above 49%.

Of the 439 ODIs that have had a result in India 227 have been won by the team batting second, 212 by the team batting first.

Based on what? In ODI cricket, teams only win 46.9% of the time when winning the toss and batting first. It's even worse in India 46.2%. Win the toss and field first and the win % is above 49%.

Of the 439 ODIs that have had a result in India 227 have been won by the team batting second, 212 by the team batting first.

You could break that down further and only include the games that have been day/night games as some venues wouldn't had lights at all in India.

Didn't watch our batting (although I might have to watch some of it now) but I was getting pretty worried mid innings when we were bowling.

After Starc/Cummins first spell we completely released the pressure and Dhawan was feasting on Zampa/Richardson. When they were 1/100 it was looking pretty grim, but somehow an Agar wicket followed by a Cummins dismissal dragged us into the contest. Good Caught and bowled by Zampa. Suddenly the game was on our terms.

Overall thought we bowled pretty well, but there was a noticeable shift in the tone of the game following Cummins/Starc finishing their spells.

These were stats I was unaware of. Will admit to my own ignorance here. Appreciate the education.

Im seeing a trend for batting second in limited overs cricket forms. Probably more due to the heap of T20 I have been watching. There is definetely some advantages like knowing exactly what you need, knowing how to pace your innings and if you are comparatively ahead or behind, often there is more evening due on the pitch and outfield to skid on or make it harder for the fielding and bowling team, youve seen how the pitch/outfield has played so far for an innings.

Batting first you are predicting/guessing what you need and have much less information on how to pace the innings. If you get it wrong you put your bowlers under huge pressure.

I actually thought Finch should get it.

Good captaincy coupled with a great knock

The better innings was Warner. You don’t get MOTM for captaincy things.

I’d have gone Cummins despite only getting 2.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back