Australian 3 ODIs vs India (14th, 17th, 19th)

Remove this Banner Ad

Where were wonder boys Cummins, Starc Hazelwoood
check there stats before blaming Middle Order
no runs, six , 1 run
3 wks , 2 wks 1 wks
figures do not lie :mad::mad::mad:

I know he’s had good games but I do question whether Zampa is a long term option. He doesn’t take enough wickets

Yet he was Australia’s leading wicket taker for the series. So what does it say about your 3 favourite pie chuckers who all failed to take more wickets?

Kane Richardson played one less game and took more wickets also than the two quicks who are always blameless in your eyes.

Starc averaged 67, Cummins 80. That’s where the series was lost

Where were wonder boys Cummins, Starc Hazelwoood
check there stats before blaming Middle Order
no runs, six , 1 run
3 wks , 2 wks 1 wks
figures do not lie :mad::mad::mad:

280 odd was never ever enough. Bowling wasn’t great but we were forced to bowl for wickets as we hadn’t made enough runs

Yet he was Australia’s leading wicket taker for the series. So what does it say about your 3 favourite pie chuckers who all failed to take more wickets?

Kane Richardson played one less game and took more wickets also than the two quicks who are always blameless in your eyes.

Starc averaged 67, Cummins 80. That’s where the series was lost

That they are probably still in test cricket mode? Maybe they just aren't as good in this format... (Starc is arguably statistically the GOAT ODI bowler though..)

I guess Cummins will just have to resign himself as having one of the best strike rates in test cricket history and an average of 21 and probably likely to be the bowler of his current generation.....

What a pity.

Also want to mention how good Marnus looked. Both innings, he did not have to take a risk and made a comfortable 40/50 each time. He didn't get bogged down at all and rotated the strike from ball 1. I'd say he is a better 3 than Smith right now.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Big call here - Turner selection cost us the series.

Play Maxwell and Aus win 2-1.

Nup. That experiment was done only 6 months ago at the World Cup. The longer the format of the games, and the better quality of bowling, the more hit and miss a Maxwell innings becomes. He topped the stats for best strike rate, but was well down on runs scored and averages compared to more conventional batsmen. It didn't work. There's a big difference from playing 20 over cricket against domestic trundlers to 50 over cricket against one of the top international teams.

Nup. That experiment was done only 6 months ago at the World Cup. The longer the format of the games, and the better quality of bowling, the more hit and miss a Maxwell innings becomes. He topped the stats for best strike rate, but was well down on runs scored and averages compared to more conventional batsmen. It didn't work. There's a big difference from playing 20 over cricket against domestic trundlers to 50 over cricket against one of the top international teams.
I’ll take the hit and miss from Maxwell though, it’s more what the side needs when you have Smith, Labuschagne and to a lesser extent Carey.

Turner is horrendously out of form across all formats at the moment and shouldn’t have been picked. Side would look infinitely better with Marsh and Maxwell instead of Turner and Agar. We’d have some serious hitting to back up the consistency of Smith/Labuschagne

Lucky it was just a 3 match series.

Agree on your points though - Maxwell is essentially gun-for-hire, have no doubt post his international career he'll be carted around the globe and collect cheques for a handful of t20 appearances ala Chris Gayle.

He's a firing gun now for the moment though and worthwhile exploiting.

I’ll take the hit and miss from Maxwell though, it’s more what the side needs when you have Smith, Labuschagne and to a lesser extent Carey.

Turner is horrendously out of form across all formats at the moment and shouldn’t have been picked. Side would look infinitely better with Marsh and Maxwell instead of Turner and Agar. We’d have some serious hitting to back up the consistency of Smith/Labuschagne

There are times in ODIs when a conventional batsman making 50 or 70 at a run-a-ball pace is more useful to the team than a quick 20 off 12-and-out.

Maxwell plyaed every game in the WC. I think he had two good ones of 40-ish of 20-something balls, both of which were coming in late (after the 40th over) when the rest of the team had already laid a platform. One of those was against one of the minnow teams too (either Bangladesh or Afghanistan - without looking it up). The rest of his innings was he just a cheap wicket, including a few where there was still 15 or 20 overs left - exactly the sort of situation where you want a conventional innings of 50 or 60..

The number of times the situation works out so a Maxy type player can come in after 40 overs and build on a platform turns out to be quite limited. About 2 times out of 10 or so matches. The other 8 times you need a conventional innings.

This is not having a go at him personally. Just the role he plays. There is less need for it in longer versions of the game. The longer versions favour conventional batting more often.

Besides that, after the World Cups is generally a time to let go a few older players who wil not likely be there in four years time for the next one, and start blooding a few younger players. Even if it means carrying them for a while.

I agree with what you've said here.

But saying one player (not you) cost us the series is a bit unrealistic IMO.

Last edited:
Tbh on that last pitch you could've easily played 3 spinners... nothing in it for the seamers whatsoever, although Shami bowled his yorkers well at the death. Agar and Zampa bowled well but the extra pace of Starc and Cummins was just cannon fodder.

There are times in ODIs when a conventional batsman making 50 or 70 at a run-a-ball pace is more useful to the team than a quick 20 off 12-and-out.

Maxwell plyaed every game in the WC. I think he had two good ones of 40-ish of 20-something balls, both of which were coming in late (after the 40th over) when the rest of the team had already laid a platform. One of those was against one of the minnow teams too (either Bangladesh or Afghanistan - without looking it up). The rest of his innings was he just a cheap wicket, including a few where there was still 15 or 20 overs left - exactly the sort of situation where you want a conventional innings of 50 or 60..

The number of times the situation works out so a Maxy type player can come in after 40 overs and build on a platform turns out to be quite limited. About 2 times out of 10 or so matches. The other 8 times you need a conventional innings.

This is not having a go at him personally. Just the role he plays. There is less need for it in longer versions of the game. The longer versions favour conventional batting more often.

Besides that, after the World Cups is generally a time to let go a few older players who wil not likely be there in four years time for the next one, and start blooding a few younger players. Even if it means carrying them for a while.
Maybe I'm optimistic but with the top 4 as it is (quality with two "grafters") I'm more inclined to give the other two spots to players who can go from the first ball and I think Marsh and Maxwell are the best at it in Australian cricket at the moment. Maxwell is definitely flukey but I think the team needs it on balance. I think Labuschagne makes a big difference to the team line-up. Him and Smith will be locks the next 4 years as elite grafters, back em up with some chaos.

If you want more consistency you could probably go Stoinis instead, just need to make sure we have other options for the last 10 becuase he needs 10-20 balls to get going which is something you cant afford at the time of the innings.

I do agree with trying new players out though and I can see why Turner was picked but I think he'd be best off playing domestic cricket and getting some touch back (this is as much hindsight as anything mind you). He was always going to struggle in this series given his domestic season so far.

In the end, I think we'll be a powerhouse come the next world cup so long as Finch and Warner can keep it going - some hard calls are going to need to be made here because the last thing we want is realising both arent up to it come the next world cup and we are blooding two new openers

Maybe I'm optimistic but with the top 4 as it is (quality with two "grafters") I'm more inclined to give the other two spots to players who can go from the first ball and I think Marsh and Maxwell are the best at it in Australian cricket at the moment. Maxwell is definitely flukey but I think the team needs it on balance. I think Labuschagne makes a big difference to the team line-up. Him and Smith will be locks the next 4 years as elite grafters, back em up with some chaos.

If you want more consistency you could probably go Stoinis instead, just need to make sure we have other options for the last 10 becuase he needs 10-20 balls to get going which is something you cant afford at the time of the innings.

I do agree with trying new players out though and I can see why Turner was picked but I think he'd be best off playing domestic cricket and getting some touch back (this is as much hindsight as anything mind you). He was always going to struggle in this series given his domestic season so far.

In the end, I think we'll be a powerhouse come the next world cup so long as Finch and Warner can keep it going - some hard calls are going to need to be made here because the last thing we want is realising both arent up to it come the next world cup and we are blooding two new openers

I like some middle order players that can do both, in the same innings even. Adjust their game, if there are still 20 overs left bat conventional for 12-15 overs and put away the unconventional s**t until the last 5 or 8 overs - depending upon the pitch and game situation. Like I said, they don't always get the situation where the top order has built them a platform, sometimes they need to build part of the platform themselves.

I think a player that makes himself less versatile and loses the ability to adapt his game makes himself a worse player. I just don't buy the "that's just the way he plays" argument. It is not consistency I am after, it is more adaptability.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back