Australian cheating at Newlands, where to from here?

Remove this Banner Ad

Test match wise who are we scheduled to play next summer and in between?
Next summer = India, Sri Lanka
In between in theory = Zimbabwe (1), Bangladesh (presumably in the top end, 2)

Quite funny how almost everyone here was stating beforehand that they wouldn't take anything less than 12 month bans for both Smith and Warner, now the common consensus is that it was over the top.
I’ve always said that a year long ban would be OTT

The ban IMO clearly is to make sure they miss the Aussie summer... It almost is swept under the rug and out of public eye if they only miss a couple of overseas tours.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So does this give us the apparently much desired moral superiority over other countries who would never hand out such a ban?

Going to be hilarious when the next tampering happens and the player doesn't even miss a match, but we showed them the way!!!

Yeah sorry fellas nobody looks to Aussies for moral guidance, they will take their 3 icc points and move on like nothing happened.

I wonder whether any of the three will choose to appeal the verdict. I'd be very interested to hear what might come out at a public hearing.

Who exactly is this ban for? Who are we trying to appease?
Going off anecdotal experience, people who don't follow cricket (which translates to Cricket Australia sponsors). Personally I think removing Smith and Warner from Captaincy would have been enough. I doubt the majority of the people going full "life bans or bust" are actually lost cricket consumers.

I suspect legally they have little standing to appeal, but would be interesting to see. I suspect none have any real impetus to. Pity for Steve Smiths average - would have feasted on some of those teams.

Should’ve just got on the diuretics instead, Might’ve had a better performance outcome for the same ban

The ban IMO clearly is to make sure they miss the Aussie summer... It almost is swept under the rug and out of public eye if they only miss a couple of overseas tours.

I think Smith is better off with a 12 month ban, in the long run. If he were to play this summer, he'd cop heaps. Now, he'll probably get a hero's welcome when he returns the following summer.

I’d suspect part of the length is due to Australia not playing too much cricket in the next few months I think?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think that is the reason it is 12 months.
Had the team been scheduled to play more than 1 test series before the summer it may have been 6-8 months IMO.

I haven't seen any schedule against Zimbabwe or Bangladesh.

I think we have Pakistan away in UAE later this year.
Yeah, it’s only in theory based on the Futures Tour Program, which IIRC has that Pakistan tour as limited overs only

Remove this Banner Ad

Australian cheating at Newlands, where to from here?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back