Glenn Maxwell Australian of the year.

Remove this Banner Ad

He doesn't he is under the spotlight like everyone else
I am sure Maxwell even if he plays a match winning innings in the finals will sadly cop the negative stuff when he fails.Important to enjoy a huge talent in white ball cricket which we will not perhaps not see again.Forget him as a batsman in this series also,how good is his bowling.

I am sure Maxwell even if he plays a match winning innings in the finals will sadly cop the negative stuff when he fails.Important to enjoy a huge talent in white ball cricket which we will not perhaps not see again.Forget him as a batsman in this series also,how good is his bowling.

Depends why he fails. If he's playing smart and gets a brilliant delivery, fair enough.

If he dances down the wicket 1st ball and get stumped, then he deserves criticism.
He doesn't he is under the spotlight like everyone else

His semi final batting almost lost us the game but it's barely been mentioned. It was extremely stupid.

Story of his career. Just needed to get his eye in a score a few singles in the semi final, instead 2nd ball he tries a reverse smash for 6 and is nearly out, then gets bowled trying to slog a few balls later.

All he had to do was give himself some time, nudge a few singles and we win.

Extraordinary talent, but no brain.

We all knew he was going to do it - it's bloody insanity.

He got out of jail with that dumb reverse sweep, you'd think that'd settle him down - but not, he tries to slog it out of the stadium shortly afterwards.

Absolute stupidity given the state of the game, and the importance of his innings.

His innings the other night was incredible, but if one of the half a dozen chances he offered were taken, we'd be having a different conversation.

I'm a fan of him, as a player and as a person - but FFS, use your brain.

Depends why he fails. If he's playing smart and gets a brilliant delivery, fair enough.

If he dances down the wicket 1st ball and get stumped, then he deserves criticism.

His semi final batting almost lost us the game but it's barely been mentioned. It was extremely stupid.

Yeah 100% agree stupid shot at the time...and the same can be said for marnus and smudge both could of lost us the game

Yeah 100% agree stupid shot at the time...and the same can be said for marnus and smudge both could of lost us the game

Slight difference when both of them gave themselves the chance to get in.

Maxwell faced 5 balls and was extremely lucky not to be out slogging twice.... when we needed 3 runs an over... and didnt have many wickets left..

Last edited:
Slight difference when both of them gave themselves the chance to get in.

Maxwell faced 5 balls and was extremely lucky not to be out slogging twice.... when we needed 3 runs an over... and didnt have many wickets left..
We all knew he was going to do it - it's bloody insanity.

He got out of jail with that dumb reverse sweep, you'd think that'd settle him down - but not, he tries to slog it out of the stadium shortly afterwards.

Absolute stupidity given the state of the game, and the importance of his innings.

His innings the other night was incredible, but if one of the half a dozen chances he offered were taken, we'd be having a different conversation.

I'm a fan of him, as a player and as a person - but FFS, use your brain.
Coulda, woulda, shoulda is irrelevant. What matters is we made the semi finals when there was a genuine chance we wouldn't. Thanks Maxi.

Bad shot the other night, maybe. Should have got out third ball - didn't, irrelevant. Game state? Neither you nor I know what the coach and captain told him to do.

Give himself a few balls to get in? Sure, if he was a different human who operated on a different wavelength. For better or worse, he is who he is, and I, in my humble opinion, trust his instinct, and I back him in. Every day of the week.

Game changers are rare, he's one and I'll cop a few bad ones and take the exquisite when they come along.

If you want to, blame the selectors who surely know all this, and still pick him. Why? Because they know they'll get someone who has a go, regardless of the game state, and when it comes off, it wins games. That is absolutely priceless, and that is why he is always picked when fit.

Coulda, woulda, shoulda is irrelevant. What matters is we made the semi finals when there was a genuine chance we wouldn't. Thanks Maxi.

Bad shot the other night, maybe. Should have got out third ball - didn't, irrelevant. Game state? Neither you nor I know what the coach and captain told him to do.

Give himself a few balls to get in? Sure, if he was a different human who operated on a different wavelength. For better or worse, he is who he is, and I, in my humble opinion, trust his instinct, and I back him in. Every day of the week.

Game changers are rare, he's one and I'll cop a few bad ones and take the exquisite when they come along.

If you want to, blame the selectors who surely know all this, and still pick him. Why? Because they know they'll get someone who has a go, regardless of the game state, and when it comes off, it wins games. That is absolutely priceless, and that is why he is always picked when fit.

It wasn't a bad shot, it was a monumental horrific shot. Ball was turning a mile, he wasn't set, and he tries to slog to cow corner on his 5th ball, after almost being out slogging on his 2nd ball.

It's amazing the mental gymnastics people will do to excuse Maxwell of any accountability for his decision making. "but but what if the coaches or captain said to slog on the 5th ball when we only need 3 runs per over?" "its really the selectors fault"

It wasn't a bad shot, it was a monumental horrific shot. Ball was turning a mile, he wasn't set, and he tries to slog to cow corner on his 5th ball, after almost being out slogging on his 2nd ball.

It's amazing the mental gymnastics people will do to excuse Maxwell of any accountability for his decision making. "but but what if the coaches or captain said to slog on the 5th ball when we only need 3 runs per over?" "its really the selectors fault"
It's amazing that people don't appreciate what he did to get us to the semi final, and maybe cut him a little slack.

It's amazing that people don't appreciate what he did to get us to the semi final, and maybe cut him a little slack.
He showed no situational awareness, which is a massive flaw. All he needed to do was play the sensible cricket he's capable of doing to get us over the line. We didn't need a 100+ strike rate game from him.

He showed no situational awareness, which is a massive flaw. All he needed to do was play the sensible cricket he's capable of doing to get us over the line. We didn't need a 100+ strike rate game from him.
Sensible wouldn't get us the 200 that got us into the semi-final. He is clearly not a sensible player, and at this stage in his career, there's not much point bemoaning the fact he's not. And it looks like he's been given license maybe others aren't.

I'd rather celebrate the good stuff, which in my opinion, outweighs the bad. And back him in that he can give us something good tonight.

Sensible wouldn't get us the 200 that got us into the semi-final. He is clearly not a sensible player, and at this stage in his career, there's not much point bemoaning the fact he's not. And it looks like he's been given license maybe others aren't.

I'd rather celebrate the good stuff, which in my opinion, outweighs the bad. And back him in that he can give us something good tonight.
His test century in India was sensible and subdued, so we know he can change gears. He's not the only frustrating player in our team tbf. Smiths dismissal the other night was woeful.

I can't see us getting up tonight which provides the freedom to enjoy watching the game without expectations.

That game he had to start slogging for the good of the team... can't you see the difference?

If we need fast runs, then by all means go out swinging.

If we need 3 runs per over, with 30 overs left and only the bowlers to come... maybe hit a few singles first?? is that too much to ask?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I appreciate what he did, I am also highly critical of his shot in the semi-final. Both stances are possible.

He is an enigma, capable of doing things at either end of the spectrum - either utterly brilliant, or utterly stupid.

I appreciate what he did, I am also highly critical of his shot in the semi-final. Both stances are possible.

He is an enigma, capable of doing things at either end of the spectrum - either utterly brilliant, or utterly stupid.
Pretty much what I think, apart from being highly critical of his shot in the semi-final. Enigma is the perfect word.

This is all supposition on my part, but where we maybe differ regarding that shot is, I just think the coaches tell him to back himself in - he's been told if he thinks it's there, hit it. Maybe he's not performed so well in the past over-thinking it, and they've decided to go with a simplified strategy. So I don't judge him too harshly, although it was not a great shot.

I also think the pitch played a part - he saw South African players try to play themselves in, waste a ton of balls, and still get out.

You're all welcome to shred him, maybe I would gently chide him, but I won't go the hack. Guess we'll see how he goes tonight.

Is there an athlete in the world who "is sober in drinking environments" but ends up in hospital more than Maxwell? It's almost like we're being lied to.

This guy has a drinking problem - not in the "drink every day from 10am" sense obviously, but in the sense that he apparently doesn't know when to stop.

Is there an athlete in the world who "is sober in drinking environments" but ends up in hospital more than Maxwell? It's almost like we're being lied to.

This guy has a drinking problem - not in the "drink every day from 10am" sense obviously, but in the sense that he apparently doesn't know when to stop.
and the people who are his friends are enablers.

So basically describing most Aussie drinkers then?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back