Autopsy autopsy v * in it for more than half a game.

Remove this Banner Ad

Those numbers aren't telling the full story though.

I don't think there's a player on our team whose turnovers have directly led to an opposition goal more than McDonald.
If Paul Curtis has a turnover, it's probably from an I50.
When McDonald has a turnover, it's from the opposition goal line and is marked inside the opposition forward 50.

Yes, McDonald has improved the past two weeks, but that doesn't erase the previous 8 weeks where he was woeful. C'mon now.
He’s coming out of a slump. Hopefully, the last couple of weeks are indicative of future performances. He is a capable player when he’s on song.

Positives -

For sure today sucked, but the 'promising signs' are turning into 5 - 10 minute stretches of midfield superiority and better-than-terrible acts of defence and offence. For a bunch of winless kids and no hopers we were a handful at various stages and never gave up which is commendable.

A tip of the hat to Comben who is well on his way to being a stalwart, Corr for appearing to find a footy player inside himself recent times and McDonald....is that the good McDonald? rubs eyes Is he back? Nah it can't be. Surely not.

Dawson wouldn't be crazy about his debut but he looks like he is going to be a player which is more important than a highlights reel. Dursma looks like he is going to dead set explode at some point, can't wait. Like a kettle on the boil.

In my head cannon LDU loves Sheez and George in the midfield and is getting cold feet about a sketchy future at St Kilda. Whatever ends up happening right now his output is immense and that haze around his head where he seems checked out has faded which is pretty awesome. Even Cam seemed to be a bit more tuned in which is a surprise. Still pretty ineffective though.

Neither McKay nor Goldie dominated which was a nice bonus. Stringer didn't 'turn back the clock', 2MP didn't kick ten, all the usual stuff that seems to always happen didn't. Apart from....

Negatives

The same old rubbish. Curtins, Pink, Tucker wtf guys. Absolutely woeful, these are goals a ten year old could kick. DE across the field was excruciating.

Bergman's hammy immediately after the sub - this is North.

Ford needs game time in front of Stephens.

Shiels looks like he about ready to hang them up, maybe just a stinker today but our vets are not on the field to be carried.

You know what, I'll stop there. I'm sure there's a lot of people in this thread wanting to sack the coach and half the list. I get the frustration but I can see the improvement. Even if we don't win a game this year, I can see it.

Last edited:
Positives -

For sure today sucked, but the 'promising signs' are turning into 5 - 10 minute stretches of midfield superiority and better-than-terrible acts of defence and offence. For a bunch of winless kids and no hopers we were a handful at various stages and never gave up which is commendable.

A tip of the hat to Comben who is well on his way to being a stalwart, Corr for appearing to find a footy player inside himself recent times and McDonald....is that the good McDonald? rubs eyes Is he back? Nah it can't be. Surely not.

Dawson wouldn't be crazy about his debut but he looks like he is going to be a player which is more important than a highlights reel. Dursma looks like he is going to dead set explode at some point, can't wait. Like a kettle on the boil.

In my head cannon LDU loves Sheez and George in the midfield and is getting cold feet about a sketchy future at St Kilda. Whatever ends up happening right now his output is immense and that haze around his head where he seems checked out has faded which is pretty awesome. Even Cam seemed to be a bit more tuned in which is a surprise. Still pretty ineffective though.

Neither McKay nor Goldie dominated which was a nice bonus. Stringer didn't 'turn back the clock', 2MP didn't kick ten, all the usual stuff that seems to always happen didn't. Apart from....

Negatives

The same old rubbish. Curtins, Pink, Tucker wtf guys. Absolutely woeful, these are goals a ten year old could kick. DE across the field was excruciating.

Bergman's hammy immediately after the sub - this is North.

Ford needs game time in front of Stephens.

Shiels looks like he about ready to hang them up, maybe just a stinker today but our vets are not on the field to be carried.

You know what, I'll stop there. I'm sure there's a lot of people in this thread wanting to sack the coach and half the list. I get the frustration but I can see the improvement. Even if we don't win a game this year, I can see it.
I thought Shiels did a reasonable job today and overall the midfield looked a lot better so for me he shares in some credit for that. Thought Stevo was ok. Agree with the rest.

Your complexion seems to have improved as a result. I wondered what you had done to be looking so fit and healthy.
Warning Red Flag GIF

I thought Shiels did a reasonable job today and overall the midfield looked a lot better so for me he shares in some credit for that. Thought Stevo was ok. Agree with the rest.
I thought I might regret the Shiels call! Maybe I need to look away whenever he gets a possession but in the second pretty sure he started my hangover early.

Not sure I have the strength to watch the replay.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

FWIW, Lmac's ball-use has been a lot better recently. He just knows his limitations and looks for the give.

Leadership is knowing what you're capable of and inviting someone with attributes that can contribute.
Chom should learn the same thing, lol. You could tell Scotts had worded up this forwards to leave Chom free in the pocket exiting D50 as they’d prefer ball in hand over many others.

Although to be fair to chom, Tucker or Scott would have just turned it over anyway

we arent talking about set shots from 50m out in the last quarter after the siren here. The poor kicking from Baily snd Tucker (who are fittest in the team) has absolutely heck all to do with strength and fitness, knacker bags.
The less fit you are the worse your general field kicking even over short distances.

But at the same time Tucker and Scott are sposed to be two of our fittest players.

We simply aren’t fit or strong enough.

Not only does that mean we can’t run two ways or for four quarters but I think it has a lot to do with our poor skills and decision making.

It's a bit of this, but there's been more than a few instances of poor two way running pointed out about guys in the first quarter who have just had a rotation break.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back