Discussion Bad Graphic Design

Remove this Banner Ad

Ballarat Football League Indigenous Round logo. It is just horrendously offensive.

DAZYbqZUAAYPt_N.jpg:small

Last edited:

It's not that bad except for the netball ring looking a bit like a noose.

It's awful! It's pretty easy to tell that it's been made in Paint or similar – this isn't a traditional dot painting converted to digital, this is little symmetrical circles all lined up in perfect rows to create silhouettes of footy goals and netball rings. I'm no authority on indigenous art as I'm just a young white male but I think the execution comes off as poor taste rather than being a true representation of indigenous culture.

Plus the type sucks.

It's awful! It's pretty easy to tell that it's been made in Paint or similar – this isn't a traditional dot painting converted to digital, this is little symmetrical circles all lined up in perfect rows to create silhouettes of footy goals and netball rings. I'm no authority on indigenous art as I'm just a young white male but I think the execution comes off as poor taste rather than being a true representation of indigenous culture.

Plus the type sucks.
That's exactly it, I mean I can understand if they are unable to, or cant afford to commission an Indigenous artist to design a logo but know where the line is if you want to represent Indigenous culture. It's bordering on offensive to be perfectly honest.

After seeing this, I knocked up my idea for a logo. It is in a similar vein to the Crows' first Indigenous jumper, a simple recolour (I included the TSI colours in the lower shield) that clearly represents what the round is about without butchering an ancient art form.

upload_2017-5-24_11-33-46.png

Last edited:

Plus the type sucks.
May be wrong, but looks like a random has attempted to imitate indigenous art. Could come across as veeery cringe-worthy.

I love how they can't even get the yellow dots don't even stay in the shield. Not only do they need to hand this job off to an actual indigenous artist, but they also need to teach the guy who did this one to colour within the lines!

That's exactly it, I mean I can understand if they are unable to, or cant afford to commission an Indigenous artist to design a logo but know where the line is if you want to represent Indigenous culture. It's bordering on offensive to be perfectly honest.

After seeing this, I knocked up my idea for a logo. It is in a similar vein to the Crows' first Indigenous jumper, a simple recolour (I included the TSI colours in the lower shield) that clearly represents what the round is about without butchering an ancient art form.

Perhaps I'm a bit ignorant here, but I don't quite see why using the TSI colours is important for a local footy league ~3000kms away from the Torres Strait islands. For a national competition like the AFL it is, but I would assume that local leagues would be better off placing a focus on the traditional indigenous tribes of that local area.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I had to explain to my class why this would be a horrible Australian flag. They didn't really seem to care how it looked. Not a problem with the aboriginal flag, just combining the two makes me cringe.
View attachment 374025
Not just that though, the designer of the aboriginal flag doesn't want it

Remove this Banner Ad

Back