Remove this Banner Ad

Spitter9

Club Legend
Jul 29, 2012
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Liverpool
Both high draft picks, cunnington taken at 5 and conca at 6 in their respective drafts.
Both inside mids
who's the better out of the 2?

Cunnington is better but so he should be given he was taken in the Martin draft not Conca's, is a year older and has played 20+ more games.

Conca is yet to have a preseason either and struggled with a hot spot in his foot earlier this year. He will breakout big time next season.

I don't think anyone would say Conca is better right now so bit of an unfair poll.

Cunnington atm and maybe long term too but that wont be a slight on Conca.

I will say this about both - they have both barely touched on what they will become if/when they get a good run at it injury wise. Big wrap for both

Conca quite easily. Will be a ripper of a player. Love his attack on the ball. Will be the new Tuck at extracting the ball :thumbsu:

Conca quite easily. Will be a ripper of a player. Love his attack on the ball. Will be the new Tuck at extracting the ball :thumbsu:

If you were going to argue Conca's merits over Cunnington "attack on the ball and extraction" would not have been the angles I would have taken.

Cunnington, 3rd in clearances per game in the league, 7th in contested possessions per game in the league, more touches per game than Conca, less time on ground than Conca, more effective disposal despite having more contested ball.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Cunnington was fairly disappointing early in his career but is really hitting his straps now and is currently performing better out of the two. Conca has not yet had a pre-season and has had one year less in the system but is a reliable player in a midfield where he is required to be a role player. Hard to say who will be better but I see Conca's fitness as being the only thing holding him back from being a top class inside & outside mid, so with much bias I'll give him my vote.

If you were going to argue Conca's merits over Cunnington "attack on the ball and extraction" would not have been the angles I would have taken.

I wasn't necessarily saying Conca was better in that regard but just that I really like watching him go about it and throwing himself into packs against bigger bodies. I think with another season under his belt he can get to a similar level to Cunnington. He's also yet to have a full (let alone completed a modified) uninterrupted preseason so his fitness base will hopefully grow improving his skills and consistency.

Cunnington, 3rd in clearances per game in the league, 7th in contested possessions per game in the league, more touches per game than Conca, less time on ground than Conca, more effective disposal despite having more contested ball.

Yes but a Cunnington cuddle doesn't have the same ring as a Conca cuddle IMO ;)

I wasn't necessarily saying Conca was better in that regard but just that I really like watching him go about it and throwing himself into packs against bigger bodies. I think with another season under his belt he can get to a similar level to Cunnington. He's also yet to have a full (let alone completed a modified) uninterrupted preseason so his fitness base will hopefully grow improving his skills and consistency.

Cunnington has had only one full pre-season. Will be a beast when he gets up around 80+% gametime.

Cunnington was fairly disappointing early in his career but is really hitting his straps now and is currently performing better out of the two. Conca has not yet had a pre-season and has had one year less in the system but is a reliable player in a midfield where he is required to be a role player. Hard to say who will be better but I see Conca's fitness as being the only thing holding him back from being a top class inside & outside mid, so with much bias I'll give him my vote.

You've pretty much summed up the Polls board there.

Player A is better than Player B in every relevant statistic, but Player B plays on my team so... I choose Player B.

At least every other poster on this board isn't as laughably transparent in their bias.

You've pretty much summed up the Polls board there.

Player A is better than Player B in every relevant statistic, but Player B plays on my team so... I choose Player B.

At least every other poster on this board isn't as laughably transparent in their bias.
Just admitting that bias naturally has an impact on my opinion, as it does on yours. But you clearly didn't read my points. Cunnington was poor in his first couple of years, below the standard that Conca achieved in his first 2 seasons and the stats reflect this. Last year he improved and this year he has taken another step and is playing better footy than Conca statistically, but Conca over the length of his career has been every bit as good as Cunnington.

Cunnington has had an extra year in the system and has not been as injury prone as Conca in his career (I realise that Cunnington has been hampered by injuries as well, but not to the same level). One year of arguably superior footy, when he has had longer time in the system and managed to get in at least one extra preseason, doesn't mean he is and will be a better player. As a Tigers fan I obviously get to see him play a lot, and I see a huge amount of upside to him. I think he'll develop into a better player.

Cunnington has had an extra year in the system and has not been as injury prone as Conca in his career (I realise that Cunnington has been hampered by injuries as well, but not to the same level). One year of arguably superior footy, when he has had longer time in the system and managed to get in at least one extra preseason, doesn't mean he is and will be a better player. As a Tigers fan I obviously get to see him play a lot, and I see a huge amount of upside to him. I think he'll develop into a better player.
Cunnington has been lucky in season with injury in comparison to Conca but he missed his first two preseasons completely so has a limited fitness base, hence the 68% game time.

Back