Coaching Staff Former Coach Ben "Truck" Rutten - Sacked for real this time - 21/8

Remove this Banner Ad

This is a good read focusing on Rutten and the coaching handover. But of a puff piece but some very good things being said about Rutten and his relationship with Woosha and the players.

Seems to be a talking point this week, a few players being interviewed were asked about it.

Seems to be a talking point this week, a few players being interviewed were asked about it.
I've read numerous interviews with players now, probably from preseason and maybe even before, and there hasn't been a hint of negativity from those players about the coaching plan. Worsfold and Rutten's maturity, professionalism and obvious shared vision is clearly driving the group's reception of the arrangement. Not sure if the media are probing for problems or they're just bored, but I'm glad the coaches are showing up the doubters.

I've read numerous interviews with players now, probably from preseason and maybe even before, and there hasn't been a hint of negativity from those players about the coaching plan. Worsfold and Rutten's maturity, professionalism and obvious shared vision is clearly driving the group's reception of the arrangement. Not sure if the media are probing for problems or they're just bored, but I'm glad the coaches are showing up the doubters.
It's a bit of an unusual situation, they like blood in the water not this nicey nicey take your time and do it right bullshit. Both Woosha and Rutten are currently immune from criticism, unless the system breaks down and someone leaks about it.

It's a bit of an unusual situation, they like blood in the water not this nicey nicey take your time and do it right bullshit. Both Woosha and Rutten are currently immune from criticism, unless the system breaks down and someone leaks about it.
I'm willing to make the bold prediction that if Joe again decides he's out, someone in the media tries to manufacture a connection.

Unfortunately last night was a very, very poor coaching display.

Bellchambers isn’t AFL standard and we have to stop pretending he is.

We had no functioning forward line whatsoever. No targets. Surely we need some forward line basics? I’m sitting here watching Adelaide, who are appalling, and the rare time they get the ball forward even they have a target in Walker who brings the ball to ground, then there’s crumbers around.

Tippa, Parish and Townsend aren’t forward targets. Who is it meant to be? Stringer? He spends so much time in the midfield. McKernan? Even he’s spending too much time up the ground. Hooker? He wasn’t even tried. Brown was at least a functional link man and we delisted him. What is the forward plan?

Darcy Parish... no words.

What is our plan when we’re locked into defence and the opposition’s zone is in place? Our most senior players were grabbing the ball and booting it over their shoulder for distance, straight into the hands of the opposition. Over and over and over again. It was U12s stuff.

Surely we have some sort of plan for these things? It actually appears we don’t.

I get it was a weird week but was it just that? Where’s the basic structural stuff?

Would be more than happy for somebody else to explain this stuff if they have a view.

We had no functioning forward line whatsoever. No targets. Surely we need some forward line basics? I’m sitting here watching Adelaide, who are appalling, and the rare time they get the ball forward even they have a target in Walker who brings the ball to ground, then there’s crumbers around.

Tippa, Parish and Townsend aren’t forward targets. Who is it meant to be? Stringer? He spends so much time in the midfield. McKernan? Even he’s spending too much time up the ground. Hooker? He wasn’t even tried. Brown was at least a functional link man and we delisted him. What is the forward plan?

What is our plan when we’re locked into defence and the opposition’s zone is in place? Our most senior players were grabbing the ball and booting it over their shoulder for distance, straight into the hands of the opposition. Over and over and over again. It was U12s stuff.

Surely we have some sort of plan for these things? It actually appears we don’t.

I get it was a weird week but was it just that? Where’s the basic structural stuff?

Would be more than happy for somebody else to explain this stuff if they have a view.
I can't like this post enough !!!!....spot on with every aspect.
We play dumb football consistently and the fact that the coaches haven't been able to rectify this speaks volumes about them.
Our skill level at times without pressure is deplorable.
We need somebody who knows how to edit last night's clanger's into a package & add the Benny Hill theme to it.

I can't like this post enough !!!!....spot on with every aspect.
We play dumb football consistently and the fact that the coaches haven't been able to rectify this speaks volumes about them.
Our skill level at times without pressure is deplorable.
We need somebody who knows how to edit last night's clanger's into a package & add the Benny Hill theme to it.
The thread is called 'We Are Essington' and the man for the job is Cupido4lyfe. Round 4 edition should be up in a day or two I'd expect.

0CF90212-3EEC-464F-AFD9-A2FA5F2535AF.jpeg
Excuse the amateur photography. Adelaide are s**t - simply not good enough. They’re getting smashed around the contests and have been locked in defensive half for what seems like hours.

They got a quick break and the above was the view. Crouch has the ball. There’s six players who either held their positions or got on their bike and offered an option. They're spaced. They're moving. They're all a different option. The Lions are well up in the game, but they're at sea here.

The kick went in and Poholke marked it, but even if he hadnt, both him and Walker were marking targets and there were crumbers around the ball.

The similar view for us is often Tippa or Parish and Townsend coming out of the goal square and nothing else. Hence it gets turned straight over.

What am I missing? Why do we have no structure?

Last edited:

The only thing I can think of is the players fell into its greasy let's play for territory mode and just went overboard as you sometimes hear from coaches if they give a simple instruction the players almost over adjust.

But that was one of the poorer games in a long time. We literally had maybe 2 chains where we actually picked our way through their defence and the rest was fast break running which looked cool but was/is unsustainable and not good football.

The only thing I can think of is the players fell into its greasy let's play for territory mode and just went overboard as you sometimes hear from coaches if they give a simple instruction the players almost over adjust.

But that was one of the poorer games in a long time. We literally had maybe 2 chains where we actually picked our way through their defence and the rest was fast break running which looked cool but was/is unsustainable and not good football.

Breaking through any sort of organised defence requires fairly constant movement. That creates options for the blokes with the ball. So while you need to hold some structure, within that you need movement. I don't know if it's that - our blokes either don't work hard to do that, or don't actually know wtf it is they're meant to be doing.

Breaking through any sort of organised defence requires fairly constant movement. That creates options for the blokes with the ball. So while you need to hold some structure, within that you need movement. I don't know if it's that - our blokes either don't work hard to do that, or don't actually know wtf it is they're meant to be doing.
We really do struggle with the kick off half back to forward of the centre square. If it's not open enough to run through, we'll just stop and hold up play thereby allowing everybody to get back behind the ball which then removes all the open space for players to lead into and forces us to bomb it to a pack. We just don't lead and create space like normal teams do.

View attachment 901879
Excuse the amateur photography. Adelaide are sh*t - simply not good enough. They’re getting smashed around the contests and have been locked in defensive half for what seems like hours.

They got a quick break and the above was the view. Crouch has the ball. There’s six players who either held their positions or got on their bike and offered an option. They're spaced. They're moving. They're all a different option. The Lions are well up in the game, but they're at sea here.

The kick went in and Poholke marked it, but even if he hadnt, both him and Walker were marking targets and there were crumbers around the ball.

The similar view for us is often Tippa or Parish and Townsend coming out of the goal square and nothing else. Hence it gets turned straight over.

What am I missing? Why do we have no structure?
I'll no doubt be flamed for it, but Stringer appears to me to be a big factor. He's a pseudo tall and he relies on being a brilliant 1 on 1 player, its just not the way the game is played anymore. Sometimes he doesn't present and does the wave above his head, no better way to highlight our forward structure issues than that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I remain staggered we've gone into an AFL season with one fit, physically capable ruckman - and that's Andrew Phillips, who's played 40 AFL games in 9 years.
I assume you're not counting McKernan lol. Although I wouldn't either, despite the amount of time he spends there.

I'm starting to wonder if in an effort to boost our midfield by running people through there and focusing on defensive running we have totally neutered our forward line as it's full of gassed mids.

Game plan is on Rutten in 2020 and last night was a dogs breakfast.

Happy to hear a few excuses if you are playing youth but when you are rolling out mature/senior players they need to buy in or its on the coaches IMO.

We need to be mid table for this changeover to escape much scrutiny. If we start getting smashed the pressure will come. It will be very interesting to see how the team responds against Collingwood.

What was going on with selection? Ham & Gleeson on a slippery G. To skinny for my part and not the game for them.

What is Townsend offering? I don't get why he is in the side. A Richmond reject averaging about 6 touches and 3 tackles a game, wtf? Ridiculous.

Surely you play Ambrose and move Hooker forward.

I will have a go at explaining.

T Bell. Agree looks like he has run out of gas around the ground. Waiting for Draper to get up and running. Bringing in Phillips may give a bit more around the ground and maybe 2 or 3 more marks but weakens the tap work which would be the only thing saving the big cream puff right now.

We have no functioning forward line because we have a B grade tall as our number one target. With Joe injured and not likely to be near his best for a while even if and when he gets back it will remain to be non functioning. It is easy for the defense to read when we lack marking targets. We currently have no others lining up to take the role as number 1 forward right now. That may be different in a few weeks with Stewart possibly being available but even he is more of a lead up player who plays more medium forward.

What is the forward plan. We simply need someone else to be able to step in and make the defense accountable. Stewart could help even though he is not a one on one forward as at least he can draw away a defender. Townsend is not bad one on one but has been double teamed or gets the number two defender when he needs to be on the number three defender. Right now there is no forward plan as we do not have the cattle. We have a make shift forward line which is why it looks bad.
We also lack the ability to control or slow the game down and stop opposition repeat entries inside 50 because we have limited marking options in front of the ball. We actually do miss Heppell in this area when he is at his best as he often took 3 or 4 strong marks in these situations. Cutler was also handy doing this last week as well.
The other thing is opposition sides are looking to lock our run down and force us into the long bomb as they know it is our week point.

The defense has been under siege because we do not have that marking target. You get two or three repeat entries and then you start getting the panic bomb kick out. Various stages it went long kick to contest. Dropped mark. Return inside 50. Defense wins it. Long kick out to contest.Dropped mark. Return inside 50. Defense wins it. Panic kick out of the 50. Not being able to control the game with a mark or at stages lack of spread let the opposition keep hammering the ball back in. The fact that Saad had to keep Betts out of the game and no McKenna left us with a lot less run from the back half as well.

I am sure they have a plan but we do not have all the parts and I know people hate to hear it but we are a side transitioning to a different style of play. The put it simply the list just needs more work.

It was a weird week but we did fall down by not playing with as much run as we should have. I am sure behind closed doors they will be questioning the work rate and lack of created options.

Until we get a few of the tall personal back or developed we will have some issues. It would be nice to get a 3/4 Joe back or Stewart at CHF leading up so Smack can play deep one on one or Stringer one on one. It would be good if Hibberd could make something as the big midfielder.

At the end of the day we are simply a middle of the road side and we do not always play at our best.

Interesting observation from Scooter05.

Indeed. Would be nice to just have McKernan as a deep forward with Stringer and a crumber. Would need us to play 2 rucks and find another big body to block in the midfield.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back