B: Boyd Weits McGovern
HB: Saad Young Williams
C: OBrien Cripps Cerra
HF: Jack Harry Martin
F: Honey Charlie Motlop or Durdin

Foll: TDK Kennedy Walsh

IC: Fish Newman Hewitt Cunners

Assume Doc Stocker and March not ready.

Boyd the roughie and I feel LOB looks fitter and might be our left footed winger. We need Durdin or Motlop to take the small fwd role.

I would love this side round 1.

Boyd the roughie and I feel LOB looks fitter and might be our left footed winger. We need Durdin or Motlop to take the small fwd role.
This is close to my thoughts. Cunners won’t be there as behind Marchy for ACL rehab. Suggest round 1 we will have tandem rucks so put Pittonet in the 22. Will probably be number 1. Boyd might be a chance to usurp Plow, but not round 1. I like LOB and had him pencilled in before some training track love for Carroll. Have them bracketed with Ed Curnow who is hard to see missing out with a watch on Philp. Plenty to play out, and no guarantee Newnes won’t be there either. The other iffy omission is Kemp, but will be hard to fit him in if McGovern is indeed earmarked down back.

Plowmen doesn't lock down so not sure why people think he does
Id rather anyone else than him
I can 100% guarantee he wont be in our team when we are playing finals or competing for a premiership
Also go back over the last couple of yrs and look at the players that score against us and its the small to medium forwards that get hold of us Weitering and Jones are the only defenders that genuinely lock down
Lachie has all the attributes of an elite lockdown defender. Our midfield has torched our defence with turn overs and the best small/medium forwards are usually the beneficiaries.
I wouldn’t classify Jones as a lockdown defender but more a closing/ chaos/ high energy defender. Not sure there is any point in having Jonesy in the conversation anyway.
He is extremely valued within the club and can definitely be a Premiership defender with a better team defence.

Lachie has all the attributes of an elite lockdown defender. Our midfield has torched our defence with turn overs and the best small/medium forwards are usually the beneficiaries.
I wouldn’t classify Jones as a lockdown defender but more a closing/ chaos/ high energy defender. Not sure there is any point in having Jonesy in the conversation anyway.
He is extremely valued within the club and can definitely be a Premiership defender with a better team defence.
Spot on.
Someone that obviously understands footy a little more than the common folk

I would love this side round 1.

Highly doubt Boyd would be rated in out top 30 players on the list, so would be highly surprised to see him in for Round 1.

True, but based purely on being a shutdown, quick, small defender with very good foot skills, he may be there round 1
Possible but he may be out of his depth against quality small forwards at this level, not sure his past performance give alot of confidence at this level, l guess pre season performance will be a factor.

I'm guessing that McGovern being trialed as a defender points to two lines of thinking

1. More confidence in McGovern than Young/McDonald as alternatives to Jones;
and
2. Charlie and Harry combination seen to be more than enough upfront as far as talls go.

happy to see the Gov play anywhere - one of the players that ticks my 'I trust him to beat his man box.
As for Plow ( or any other defender ) if the midfield stops handing so many easy entries to opposition - they will look and perform better.

I'm guessing that McGovern being trialed as a defender points to two lines of thinking

and
2. Charlie and Harry combination seen to be more than enough upfront as far as talls go.

happy to see the Gov play anywhere - one of the players that ticks my 'I trust him to beat his man box.
As for Plow ( or any other defender ) if the midfield stops handing so many easy entries to opposition - they will look and perform better.

3. A prime example of sunken cost bias.

and

Perhaps we will still run with Weits and one of Young/McDonald and Gov will take Doc's role as the interceptor 3rd tall

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Perhaps we will still run with Weits and one of Young/McDonald and Gov will take Doc's role as the interceptor 3rd tall

for sure that could work and is very likely too...

I'm not convinced that SOJ is a finals quality third tall option....so I prefer McGovern |Harry | Charlie - with Martin in there makes for a pretty formidable forward line - dont knwo any defensive mix in teh comptition that could handle these 4 with an even share of decent forward entries...

for sure that could work and is very likely too...

I'm not convinced that SOJ is a finals quality third tall option....so I prefer McGovern |Harry | Charlie - with Martin in there makes for a pretty formidable forward line - dont knwo any defensive mix in teh comptition that could handle these 4 with an even share of decent forward entries...
Especially if the 3rd tall is expected to back-up ruck. But could do something like:

Backs: Weiters, Young, Gov, Plow
Ruck: TDK (McDonald)
Fwds: McKay, Charlie, McDonald, JSOS

McDonald isn't a great ruck option, but better than JSOS or Gov. Gives Charlie a bit more freedom too.

There’s not enough evidence as a Carlton player yet for McDonald to be considered a better relief ruck option than JSOS, from what Jsos produced last year I’d personally have him a fair way ahead of him atm, until we see anything substantially close then i see JSOS potentially becoming even better in this role if and when needed…
That’s not to say that i don’t think or hope that JMac can’t be a handy player in a number of various roles if the body can hold up…

Especially if the 3rd tall is expected to back-up ruck. But could do something like:

Ruck: TDK (McDonald)
Fwds: McKay, Charlie, McDonald, JSOS

McDonald isn't a great ruck option, but better than JSOS or Gov. Gives Charlie a bit more freedom too.

That could work - but Pittonet might also surprise everyone coming back from an ankle injury he had to play through last year...

Odds are depending on how everyone gets through preseason that we may very well start the year with a Pitto and DeKoning combo, the latter making up part of the forward rotations to possibly explore and ease the workload on both but stretch certain defensive back lines early days into the season…
Seems like McGovern has possibly a new role and JSOS will be a floater amongst a few positions…

That could work - but Pittonet might also surprise everyone coming back from an ankle injury he had to play through last year...
I’d have my money on Pitto being our best ruck option next season. I think it’ll come down to how much game time they want to pump into TDK.

Yep - I think they'll want to play both Pitto and TDK at least to begin with. But it comes down to how they (or at least one of them) can perform as a key forward option. Neither has impressed in the past, though I think TDK offers more. So most likely scenario is Pitto as #1 ruck, and TDK as second key fwd, changing in ruck. If that setup can prove viable it allows Charlie to then get the 3rd defender, which would be a real win.

In this setup, McDonald goes out from my previous post, and we have:
Ruck: Pittonet (TDK)
Fwds: McKay, TDK, Charlie, JSOS

I like it, but Marchbank at CHB, don't think so
More of a Chad Cornes style CHB. I've got Young and McGovern on the bench and other options to throw around.

The truth is that with Jones gone there really is no chance we can play our uncontested soft style without getting belted by 100, so it's doesn't matter that he's not much of a stopper.

Last edited:
I like it, but Marchbank at CHB, don't think so
but Young is named on the bench, so working through the talls he’s got Weiters, Young, Marchbank, Gov, Harry, Charlie, Silvagni & TDK which seems fine.

There’s a ruck, a relief ruck, then 3 other talls at each end.

I’d imagine Young takes the 2nd forward who is also the relief ruck and follows him for ruck duties (& bench time). Something like that.

More of a Chad Cornes style CHB. I've got Young and McGovern on the bench as other options to throw around.

The truth is that with Jones gone there really is no chance we can play our uncontested soft style without getting belted by 100, so it's doesn't matter that he's not much of a stopper.

but Young is named on the bench, so working through the talls he’s got Weiters, Young, Marchbank, Gov, Harry, Charlie, Silvagni & TDK which seems fine.

There’s a ruck, a relief ruck, then 3 other talls at each end.

I’d imagine Young takes the 2nd forward who is also the relief ruck and follows him for ruck duties (& bench time). Something like that.

I would be playing both OMac and Young, one at either end as the 2nd KPP, then whoever is the forward option, is the ruck chopout

Remove this Banner Ad

Back