Prediction Best 22, Round 1 2017

Remove this Banner Ad

Depending on match ups with the Saints I'd probably favour going a little smaller and adding more run and skill at Etihad.

FB: Jetta Oscar Mc Hibberd
HF: Hunt Tom Mc Vince
C: Stretch Viney Lewis
HF: Kent Hogan Petracca
FF: Watts Weideman Garlett
Foll: Gawn Tyson Jones
Int: Salem Melksham Brayshaw Hannan

E: Frost, Oliver, Pedersen

After a strong preseason I expect Weideman to get the nod for the round 1 spot whilst Pedda takes a while to build his match conditioning particularly after recovering from surgery post season.

Oliver's clearly best 22 on talent but I think we need as much run as we can get against the hard working Saints and that if we can pick from our full midfield without him then we set a high standard as to the work rate required to get a game.

Hannan's a big call but we need another goal kicker and natural forward who can also provide some pressure. Watts probably rucks, Kent and Garlett a little on the wing, Petracca on ball to get that extra forward in. Plus Hannan can rotate on to a wing. If it's not Hannan it could be Tim Smith.

Depending on match ups with the Saints I'd probably favour going a little smaller and adding more run and skill at Etihad.

FB: Jetta Oscar Mc Hibberd
HF: Hunt Tom Mc Vince
C: Stretch Viney Lewis
HF: Kent Hogan Petracca
FF: Watts Weideman Garlett
Foll: Gawn Tyson Jones
Int: Salem Melksham Brayshaw Hannan

E: Frost, Oliver, Pedersen

After a strong preseason I expect Weideman to get the nod for the round 1 spot whilst Pedda takes a while to build his match conditioning particularly after recovering from surgery post season.

Oliver's clearly best 22 on talent but I think we need as much run as we can get against the hard working Saints and that if we can pick from our full midfield without him then we set a high standard as to the work rate required to get a game.

Hannan's a big call but we need another goal kicker and natural forward who can also provide some pressure. Watts probably rucks, Kent and Garlett a little on the wing, Petracca on ball to get that extra forward in. Plus Hannan can rotate on to a wing. If it's not Hannan it could be Tim Smith.

There is no way Hannan or Tim Smitch are in the team and Clarry isn't. Oliver in, Truck back to the forward line.

There is no way Hannan or Tim Smitch are in the team and Clarry isn't. Oliver in, Truck back to the forward line.
Odds say we have an injury so it's a moot point, and Oliver probably gets fit and blitzes the preseason games. I just think we'll want (and need) another goal kicker and more forward pressure. It's Goodwin's team now so the focus on midfielders that Roos had might not be the same.

Some people have left Sam Frost out of the side, but at this stage he is much, much better than OMac IMO. Either play all 3, or leave OMac out for Frost.

It's funny no one ever mentions frost when talk of our young guns is brought up but he is a very promising player with his athletic ability
He does look like a an athlete who has learned footy but he is such an incredible athlete it works

Jetta Frost OMac
Hibberd TMac Hunt
Vince Jones Brayshaw
Gawn Tyson Viney
Lewis Weed Watts
Kent Hogan Garlett

Petracca Hannan Clarry Salem bench IMO.
Now Stretch is really stiff to miss out, he and Salem are fighting for one spot earlier in the season IMO.
IMO it's pretty obvious that Trac and Clarry start on the bench, they just don't have the stamina to play a full shift on the ground yet.
No Pedo as Frost can also ruck, giving Weed first shot next year because he needs games badly and showed a bit this year.
Hannan is probably the more interesting choice. My justification is I can't see why we'd pick Hannan and trade for McKenna, two similar mid-sized utilities when we knew that there'd be talent such as Kerr, Allison left in the draft at their picks. IMO these two guys are our new swingmen who can be the third man to intercept marking contests down back, or the guys to provide a spark up forward when we need it. Hannan also has a great work ethic so I'm guessing he will be in contention earlier than McKenna, which is why I've picked him over McKenna.
Apart from Stretch and Pedo, other unlucky guys are Melksham, Kennedy(who will force his way into the side eventually IMO), Bugg, Wagner, VDB; that being said, outside of Mitch King and Hulett, almost every player on the list has a chance at round one IMO with a good pre season.

Jetta Frost OMac
Hibberd TMac Hunt
Vince Jones Brayshaw
Gawn Tyson Viney
Lewis Weed Watts
Kent Hogan Garlett

Petracca Hannan Clarry Salem bench IMO.
Now Stretch is really stiff to miss out, he and Salem are fighting for one spot earlier in the season IMO.
IMO it's pretty obvious that Trac and Clarry start on the bench, they just don't have the stamina to play a full shift on the ground yet.
No Pedo as Frost can also ruck, giving Weed first shot next year because he needs games badly and showed a bit this year.
Hannan is probably the more interesting choice. My justification is I can't see why we'd pick Hannan and trade for McKenna, two similar mid-sized utilities when we knew that there'd be talent such as Kerr, Allison left in the draft at their picks. IMO these two guys are our new swingmen who can be the third man to intercept marking contests down back, or the guys to provide a spark up forward when we need it. Hannan also has a great work ethic so I'm guessing he will be in contention earlier than McKenna, which is why I've picked him over McKenna.
Apart from Stretch and Pedo, other unlucky guys are Melksham, Kennedy(who will force his way into the side eventually IMO), Bugg, Wagner, VDB; that being said, outside of Mitch King and Hulett, almost every player on the list has a chance at round one IMO with a good pre season.
Gawn would provide another marking option as a HFF but I can't see Kent rucking. He's just not tall enough.

Gawn would provide another marking option as a HFF but I can't see Kent rucking. He's just not tall enough.
I think it's pretty obvious that I put the rucks right below the midfielders just like how the Herald sun does it

I think it's pretty obvious that I put the rucks right below the midfielders just like how the Herald sun does it

I like the look of your side.

We've addressed a little bit of pace with Hibberd, but its still a pretty slow looking side though.

One change I would make is having Hogan at CHF and Wiedeman at FF or in the pocket. I think Wiedeman still has a couple of years worth of work to do on his frame and on his fitness before he's ready for the CHF role.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

One change I would make is having Hogan at CHF and Wiedeman at FF or in the pocket. I think Wiedeman still has a couple of years worth of work to do on his frame and on his fitness before he's ready for the CHF role.
Agreed - and with Hogan intentionally dropping a couple of kilos to increase his running capability, I think he wants to own CHF for himself.

Agreed - and with Hogan intentionally dropping a couple of kilos to increase his running capability, I think he wants to own CHF for himself.
I think Hogan as CHF is the long term plan . To me he appears a longer kick up the ground , but for now i don't see the need to play Weiderman just cause he is young. If he earns a spot that's good , but i hope we don't make the same mistake as we did with Watts ,and play him before he is physically ready .

I would prefer to win games than give games to kids at this point. Pederson was given a contract extension for a reason. Unless Weideman knocks pre-season out of the park I would be more confident that a line up of Hogan-Pederson-Watts could kick us a winning score than Hogan-Weideman-Watts

I would prefer to win games than give games to kids at this point. Pederson was given a contract extension for a reason. Unless Weideman knocks pre-season out of the park I would be more confident that a line up of Hogan-Pederson-Watts could kick us a winning score than Hogan-Weideman-Watts
Pedo very underrated, he is currently better than Weiderman plus he gives us more flexibility by being able to play back and ruck if needed

FB: N.Jetta O.McDonald S.Frost
HB: J.Hunt T.McDonald C.Salem
W: B.Stretch D.Tyson B.Vince
HF: J.Watts J.Hogan C.Lewis
FF: J.Garlett The Pedo C.Petracca

Foll: M.Gawn, N.Jones, J.Viney

Inter: G.Brayshaw, C.Oliver, Hibberd, Harmes

Remove this Banner Ad

Back