Opinion Best and worst moments as a cats supporter

Remove this Banner Ad

I've watched a couple of highlights clips of Ablett. But that's literally all I ever want to see.
Gax kicked a classy goal right in front of us during the third to put us back in front, before the rest of that quarter basically ended the game.

I saw his goal up close on the day, enjoyed the moment, and will not go back to relive it or any other moment from that match ever again.

TBH best single "moment" for me as a cats supporter over the last few decades was JK's goal. Doesn't have the gravitas of many of the other posters stories but I jumped up and cheered so loud everyone in the house ran in and asked what was wrong.
Was wracking my brain trying to think of a beauty from James Kelly, but of course, no - you literally mean JK's goal, i.e. Jake Kolodjashnij's one and only?

TBH best single "moment" for me as a cats supporter over the last few decades was JK's goal. Doesn't have the gravitas of many of the other posters stories but I jumped up and cheered so loud everyone in the house ran in and asked what was wrong.
It's always refreshing to hear the perspective of a player's family on significant moments in their careers.

So we welcome Kolo's Mum to the board and trust you'll enjoy your time with us.

Last edited:
Gax kicked a classy goal right in front of us during the third to put us back in front, before the rest of that quarter basically ended the game.

I saw his goal up close on the day, enjoyed the moment, and will not go back to relive it or any other moment from that match ever again.
You might need to give me some pointers. My mind has been reliving it for 14 years even without returning to any footage.

That's the one loss that can never be erased.

Im of a different view - simply because we won in 2009 - and you have to factor that in - in the big picture i couldnt careless about 2008 because we won in 09 and again in 11

And not just because Geel havent achieved it - but this massive over glorification of winning 3 or 4 premierships in a row ( and the draft has made that alot easier - because if you get a really good group of players - you will probably dominate )

If you went to say John Rahm who is the no 1 golfer in the world - and said over a decade - you can have either 3 US Masters Titles in a row - or 4 of them - but not in a row - hed take the 4 option every day of week

This massive congratulations of winning consecutive premierships - is total utter Frog Shiit

Im of a different view - simply because we won in 2009 - and you have to factor that in - in the big picture i couldnt careless about 2008 because we won in 09 and again in 11

And not just because Geel havent achieved it - but this massive over glorification of winning 3 or 4 premierships in a row ( and the draft has made that alot easier - because if you get a really good group of players - you will probably dominate )

If you went to say John Rahm who is the no 1 golfer in the world - and said over a decade - you can have either 3 US Masters Titles in a row - or 4 of them - but not in a row - hed take the 4 option every day of week

This massive congratulations of winning consecutive premierships - is total utter Frog Shiit

Doesn't need to be about winning consecutive premierships.

That year we were BY FAR the best team in the competition. Even Grand final day we still dominated most of the stats that win you games. Except we didn't convert when we had the play. Those seasons come along very rarely and you have to make the most of them.

Doesn't need to be about winning consecutive premierships.

That year we were BY FAR the best team in the competition. Even Grand final day we still dominated most of the stats that win you games. Except we didn't convert when we had the play. Those seasons come along very rarely and you have to make the most of them.

Im old enough to remember 1972 - Richmond went into the GF - at about $1.05 Red hot favourite against Carlton

And just like Geelong in 2008 they got beat for one simple reason - miles overconfident - and you could pick it early in the game - look who cares about mistakes - we will still win - a great example of that is Ottens - 2 Geel players in the goal square - and he had the shot and missed - and his attitude was and the Geel players attitude and the Rich players attitude of 72 was - well who cares - we will beat them anyway

But the Tigers bounced back and won flags in 73 and 74 - so ask their supporters and most of them would probably say - that in the big picture - those 73 and 74 flags soothes the pain greatly of 72 - just like those Geel flags of 09 an 11 - did re missing out in 08 - in my opinion

Im old enough to remember 1972 - Richmond went into the GF - at about $1.05 Red hot favourite against Carlton

And just like Geelong in 2008 they got beat for one simple reason - miles overconfident - and you could pick it early in the game - look who cares about mistakes - we will still win - a great example of that is Ottens - 2 Geel players in the goal square - and he had the shot and missed - and his attitude was and the Geel players attitude and the Rich players attitude of 72 was - well who cares - we will beat them anyway

But the Tigers bounced back and won flags in 73 and 74 - so ask their supporters and most of them would probably say - that in the big picture - those 73 and 74 flags soothes the pain greatly of 72 - just like those Geel flags of 09 an 11 - did re missing out in 08 - in my opinion

It definitely soothes the pain. But to me we should still have won.

It definitely soothes the pain. But to me we should still have won.
Of the four GF's we contested between '07 and '11, '08 was the one where we were most in front of the rest of the comp for that year. Really don't think any other team has ever dominated a season to that degree and not gone home with the premiership.

That's what absolutely burns about that season. And while I love '09 and '11 in their own ways, '08 is the travesty that just continues to make zero sense (while causing maximum pain) to me.

Of the four GF's we contested between '07 and '11, '08 was the one where we were most in front of the rest of the comp for that year. Really don't think any other team has ever dominated a season to that degree and not gone home with the premiership.

That's what absolutely burns about that season. And while I love '09 and '11 in their own ways, '08 is the travesty that just continues to make zero sense (while causing maximum pain) to me.
Some of our footy that season was simply awe-inspiring.

It will forever be the one that got away.

Some of our footy that season was simply awe-inspiring.

It will forever be the one that got away.
Yeah but what about 2009 !! - when i post - i dont have blue and white goggles on- i just stick to the facts

And at 3qtr time in the 09 GF the game should have been over - done and dusted - StK - should have been 5 goals in front and it was a wet day - the inside 50s back that up totally - and some of their misses - Schneider - they were deadset gimmies

The Cats played a great last qtr - but the game should have been totally out of reach at 3qtr time

I think StK loss in 09 was alot worse and much harder to take as a supporter than Geel in 08 - they dominated the game to 3qtr - i think they were the 1st team in 20 years to lose the GF after leading at 3qtr time . Where as Geel in 08 - blew the game in the 2nd qtr - and scores were about level at h/t - but in the 2nd half - and Haw were 1 man down Croad with a broken foot - from about the 10 minute mark of the 3rd qtr - Haw totally outplayed Geel - and we were never a chance of winning

Where as that 09 loss of Stkildas - would be one of the most bitter - heartbreaking losses of all time - talk about the one which slipped through the net

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I do clearly remember being at that Collingwood game we lost mid season 2008 though - it wasn't just a loss, it was an absolute thumping - and coming away convinced that we would not win the flag that year. It was the only loss for the season, but it was such a poor effort. I know the theory doesn't always hold, but to this day I still tend to write off any contender that suffers a humiliating loss during the season.

Best and Worst came together 2011-last game of the round vs pies. Took a young Collingwood fella (with downes syndrome) who retreated deeper into his shell as we pulverised them. Went out and got one of those hand clapper things to cheer him up, and finally they kicked a goal. The clapper broke, flew through the air and smashed a Pies cheer squad dude square in his diall. Fight was on, for half a second.......

Real Best- a few weeks later and Bartel seals the GF at the 15th minute of the last quarter from a beautiful set shot. After it, on the way back, Dawes gets a cheeky, jubilant elbow to the chest from Jimmy. Kacked ourselves then, laughing like winners, best moment ever.

I do clearly remember being at that Collingwood game we lost mid season 2008 though - it wasn't just a loss, it was an absolute thumping - and coming away convinced that we would not win the flag that year. It was the only loss for the season, but it was such a poor effort. I know the theory doesn't always hold, but to this day I still tend to write off any contender that suffers a humiliating loss during the season.
I take your point about the 'humiliating loss' theory. But the wider context of our entire year just didn't suggest a deep vulnerability that was waiting to be exposed. I can't say I had the torching by the Magpies remotely in mind when I fronted up to the 'G for that GF. And it's never 'clicked' with me to think that our Round 8 debacle meant that our year was then always likely to end in ignominy.

After all, we went 21-1 in the H&A with a stellar percentage, won our first two finals by 10 and 5 goals respectively, and weren't playing the team that had belted us during the year in the GF. It's all 'coulda, shoulda, woulda', I know. And the game itself was the ultimate 'We Are Geelong' moment, in the most appalling sense. But I really don't see the early season shellacking had much to do with the crushing despair that had basically enveloped us all by the last change on that day.

I take your point about the 'humiliating loss' theory. But the wider context of our entire year just didn't suggest a deep vulnerability that was waiting to be exposed. I can't say I had the torching by the Magpies remotely in mind when I fronted up to the 'G for that GF. And it's never 'clicked' with me to think that our Round 8 debacle meant that our year was then always likely to end in ignominy.

After all, we went 21-1 in the H&A with a stellar percentage, won our first two finals by 10 and 5 goals respectively, and weren't playing the team that had belted us during the year in the GF. It's all 'coulda, shoulda, woulda', I know. And the game itself was the ultimate 'We Are Geelong' moment, in the most appalling sense. But I really don't see the early season shellacking had much to do with the crushing despair that had basically enveloped us all by the last change on that day.
Yeah.. The team that put my 'humiliating loss' theory out the window was Richmond. They had a few mid-season face-plants in seasons they eventually won. I think the signs were there in 2008. Our two prior finals were not really convincing. Hawthorn were the 2nd best side, but they timed their run. For me, the reason it hurt so much was not the fact we'd gone 21-1 up to that point- it was the missed opportunity to win a flag against that opposition.

Yeah.. The team that put my 'humiliating loss' theory out the window was Richmond. They had a few mid-season face-plants in seasons they eventually won. I think the signs were there in 2008. Our two prior finals were not really convincing. Hawthorn were the 2nd best side, but they timed their run. For me, the reason it hurt so much was not the fact we'd gone 21-1 up to that point- it was the missed opportunity to win a flag against that opposition.
We'd actually gone 23-1. Still, I don't dispute that they came with a rush (and a plan) into that GF and we simply weren't up for the challenge. Once our belief wavered, they hit the throttle and never looked back.

Can go back to Carlton in early 1995. In two successive weeks they somehow managed to get thrashed by Sydney by 72 points, and then St.Kilda by 56 points the following week. Didn't lose again that season. Brisbane did something similar in 2001 at the same point, got murdered by Carlton then a narrow loss to Adelaide (I think). Like Carlton they didn't lose again after that.

The amount of irrational hatred and vitriol that gets foisted upon coaching and playing staff of the GFC on this site is truly something to behold. And not in a good way.

Absolutely puerile.

I've seen the same amount of irrational hatred and vitriol gets foisted on other posters. And sometimes that's cheered on enthusiastically.

Vitriol yes. Irrational hatred? I've seen very few instances of that.

I've seen the same amount of irrational hatred and vitriol gets foisted on other posters. And sometimes that's cheered on enthusiastically.

Vitriol yes. Irrational hatred? I've seen very few instances of that.
When your best moment following the Cats is supposedly the departure of a player who averaged over two goals a game for the club in more than 100 games in the hoops, I think that's definitely in the category of 'irrational hatred'.

Each to their own.

When your best moment following the Cats is supposedly the departure of a player who averaged over two goals a game for the club in more than 100 games in the hoops, I think that's definitely in the category of 'irrational hatred'.

Each to their own.

I've got no idea who you're talking about (or who said it), but really, who cares? If people want to get bothered because other posters have different views you'll be bothered an awful lot.

I've got no idea who you're talking about (or who said it), but really, who cares? If people want to get bothered because other posters have different views you'll be bothered an awful lot.
See post #245 above. And people will have to make their own judgements about whether anyone is 'bothered' by what is posted by others on here. Given none of us is doing anything other than typing characters on a keyboard, I would have thought it's highly presumptuous to suggest that we can accurately read the mood of others at all as they post.

Still, how utterly ironic that you're bothered enough to respond to me supposedly being bothered by what I consider to be irrational and plainly silly posting by someone else entirely. A thoroughly brilliant way for you to underline your propensity for the very behaviour you're come to 'call out' here.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back